XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-18-2021, 06:36 PM   #1
PrineSwine
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 & E84

Battery replacement/new battery appears low

Hey all-
We just got a 2015 X1, and the battery (from 2014) promptly died. I wasn't keen on shelling out $460 for a new battery at the shop so I went to the local parts store and got an appropriate replacement, then bought the Bimmerlink app and OBDLink CX dongle to connect.
I managed to get the battery in there and connected, but right when I started up the car I got a battery low message, and after registering the new battery it showed it a 1%. We drove around for an hour hoping to bring it to life, and saw a few other errors come (and eventually go) during our trip.
  • Battery discharging while stopped
  • Increased battery discharge

I disconnected and turned off every last phone charger/audio/AC fan that I could find, and managed to get the battery level up to 5%. Auto start/stop doesn't work when the battery is that low, and I am worried that there might be some other drain somewhere. Sound familiar to anyone? Worth buying a smart charger and trying to juice the battery up? I can't figure out why a brand new battery would read 1% when it is first connected, but it was enough of a pain to get in and out that I don't want to pull it and take it back to the shop unless I am pretty certain that the battery is the problem.

Thanks for any wisdom that might be out there.

Last edited by PrineSwine; 04-18-2021 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: edit: Bimmerlink was the app, not Bimmercode...
Appreciate 1
toejam0.00
      04-20-2021, 11:19 PM   #2
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X35i M-SPORT

I just put a new battery in my 2015 and I had it on my CTEK charger for 12 hours after. So yes, use a charger, 1 hour driving was not enough if it was really low to begin with.

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport // BMS Intake
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2021, 01:13 PM   #3
PrineSwine
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 & E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicone View Post
I just put a new battery in my 2015 and I had it on my CTEK charger for 12 hours after. So yes, use a charger, 1 hour driving was not enough if it was really low to begin with.
Thanks! Ordered a CTEK 56-959 today and hopefully I am up and running shortly!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
chrisdk223
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xi28

I heard that AGM batteries last up to 7 years.
And they can be recharged at least 2 times. I have the same car! Since we have fancy expensive batteries. I wish you just bought from walmart an expensive battery charger and then return it 8 hours later! My battery got filled back up to 80-90%
Free repair!
Appreciate 0