XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Automatic Heater Temp in X1

This is part of another thread elsewhere, so my apologies for reposting, but I want to make the issues clear up front.
I've been having two problems with my X1's heater, no doubt exacerbated by the really bitter temps we've had lately.
-I will pull out of our 40* garage and get warm air from the dash vents initially, but then I'll get a blast of cold air.
-If I don't keep the heat set at 75 or more, I won't get much heat until the car is really warmed up, and then I have to turn down the heat.
Our X3 doesn't do any of these things; set the temp at 70*, and you get quick, consistent heat w/o having to fool with the controls.
I have the heater controls set as follows; 'auto' on the recirc control, 'auto' on the overall control, heat set at 75*.
I have discussed this with the tech at the dealership and our sales person; all are clueless.
Thoughts?
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

I have had the same issue since I purchased the vehicle. it makes no sense. that cool air blast is a nuisance in winter weather. I played around with settings and figured out that the auto setting at 75 degrees is not the best. further if you go manual at that temp and select torso setting on the control the air coming out is cool or Luke warm at best. I settled on 75 degree, manual contol with air directed both at windshield and legs. I find the vehicle gets very warm quickly. stay away from center vents in the winter. and, yes, the sales advisors are clueless on this issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #3
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

I also noticed that the cool air rushes if I hit a bad road surface imperfection or pothole.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, zero. I'm suspecting a bad sensor, but it just may be the nature of the beast.
I've tried putting all the air in the footwell until the car warms up, tho' I can still feel cold air trying to get out the dash vents.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i

I keep mine on Auto + 68 degrees and the air is always on my feet in the Winter. (As it should be, warm* air rises) I never have to touch it, the car gradually warms up and the fan speed increases when the engine is warm.

When the air is set to "floor," a little bit of air leakage is normal for the outside face vents, I believe this is to keep the side windows defogged.

Last edited by fiehlsport; 03-02-2016 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #6
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Cold air falls, burnout, but your point is taken. I've tried keeping the control set to floor, and that does seem to help, but it still requires screwing around with the controls once the engine warms up.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Cold air falls, burnout, but your point is taken. I've tried keeping the control set to floor, and that does seem to help, but it still requires screwing around with the controls once the engine warms up.
Moon
Wow, I messed that one up. Ha!! Editing now. Must have been tired.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #8
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Not to worry, burnout. Knew what you meant.
I'm going to give the thread a bump to see if anyone else responds; we're on vacation with the X3, but I'm going to let the dealer have a look at it when we get home.
BTW, we've been really pleased with the X3 in our travels, but Audi has 'set it and forget it' climate control down to a science.
Moon
Appreciate 0