Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #1
italy3541
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo 4C

Garage List
NAV Issues

So I have a 2015 X1. It went in for service for a air bag issue about 6 months ago. Since I got the car back the NAV screen intermittently does not stay up after you turn the car off then back on. Sometimes I can go almost a week and it will work fine. Then usually while running short errands usually frequent stops taking 10-15 min in between it will not come up. Ill turn the car off with the nav screen map up and ill shut off the car run my errand turn the car back on and it will be on the menu screen. Again it will do this a few times then go back to normal. Sometimes it will do it 10 times in a row then out of the blue it will work properly for the next few days.

I have had it in for this problem several times and now I am being told this is normal operation. How can it be normal operation when it never did this before the air bag module replacement. And now that it is doing it if it is normal then why does it only do it sometimes?

My question is, Does anyone else have this issue? Sometimes the nav stays up and sometimes it comes up in the menu screen. Any advice would be great.

BMW is saying this is normal so if it is normal then there should be more than just me with this problem. So please speak up if you have this same issue..

My Z4 didn't have this issue, and none of the loaner cars that I have for weeks at a time. Also spoke to my friends with BMW's and they don't have this issue. So I figured I would check here next since I can ask people that have a X1 if they have this same issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Nope, don't have this issue. I don't leave it with the nav screen too often but I do leave it in media and radio and it always comes back
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 01:52 AM   #3
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Oh wow, never thought about this. Will monitor mine and see what it does.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 03:29 AM   #4
italy3541
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys. This issue is driving me nuts. Like I said it didn't start doing this until they did the airbag module replacement. I seem to be the only person with this issue yet I am being told its normal operation. I know its not I just want to get some other peoples opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #5
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy3541
Thanks guys. This issue is driving me nuts. Like I said it didn't start doing this until they did the airbag module replacement. I seem to be the only person with this issue yet I am being told its normal operation. I know its not I just want to get some other peoples opinion.
I can guarantee you it's not normal operation esp if this happens while using nav and if you have set up multiple destinations coz once you reach your first destination you turn off the car (while nav is on), have a walk around, come back, turn the ignition on and you should get the option to start navigating next dest or it happens automatically (not sure which one it is). But if you get the main menu screen instead then there is definitely a fault.
Even for single destinations - if you had to stop for petrol or sth then having to select navigation from main menu and select 'resume navigation' is not normal operation. It's ok to just have to select 'resume destination' but not to have to restart the whole application.
Also FM starts automatically when switching on the car if you were listening to it before switching off the car.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
cooombs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive

Mine does something similar. I usually keep mine in split screen, the main portion on media and the smaller portion on the map. For whatever reason, sometimes when I get back into the car the map section will be switched to the coordinates screen rather then the map and I would say every other time this happens the media part of the screen will be switched back to the main menu.

I haven't tested it enough to confirm, but my working theory was it's related to when my wife uses the car with her key and me then using the car with my key and the car not being able to keep it in memory what function my key was using. Again this is just a theory and I haven't taken the time to prove or disprove it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:37 AM   #7
italy3541
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the input guys. Mine goes to the menu screen after turning the car off about 10 percent of the time. It doesn't matter which key we use or if it is the same key we were just using. According to BMW there is a glitch in the system. Being that it is a computer inside controlling it, it can on occasion forget what screen was up last and it will go to the menu screen. This is after it being in for service 8 times and them saying they cant find the problem. So after a call into BMW main office the sent a tech from there to look at my car. According to him when the system boots it can do this. I said to him I would think BMW would be able to fix this issue. Because even though it is not a big deal and the system still operates the way it should when doing all its other functions. It is annoying. His reply was they have tested other cars and they do it also. I said I understand because anything that has a computer controlling it can have a glitch from time to time. Just like a laptops mouse that stops working a for a second then comes back. here is nothing technically wrong with the laptop it just had a glitch for a second.

All that being said I still wish the could fix it. As much money as they spend on development you would think they could solve this issue. But as carsget more complex I guess this is life. Im sure the will come up with a fix eventually right about the time a new computer issue starts...lol..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Just a thought, but could it be caused by battery issues? If that information is held on the RAM storage then the computer could shut down non essential functions if it notices issues with the battery. See if you can put it on a charger overnight and see the issue comes up at any point when it's also being charged
Appreciate 0