XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-29-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
sacsac
Rep
Drives: X1

2015 X1 vs. 2014 GLK350 ???

I know it makes more sense to compare X1 with GLA250, but anyway......

Assuming the selling prices are the same, which one would you pick?

2015 X1 sDrive28i with Technology Package, Driver Assistance Package, Sport Line Package, and Heated Seats

2014 GLK350 4MATIC base model with Heated Seats and Becker Map Pilot Pre-Wiring
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 12:56 AM   #2
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Personally I'd go with the GLK, but I don't see how the prices could possibly be the same. The GLK is a more premium vehicle, and you can especially see that on the interior. But when I priced them out, the GLK was considerably more, around $150 more per month on a lease.

It would be more reasonable to compare the GLK to the X3. In terms of size, the GLK is somewhere in the middle between the X1 and X3, but in terms of features, cost and driving dynamics, it is more in line with the X3.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 01:27 AM   #3
sacsac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
Personally I'd go with the GLK, but I don't see how the prices could possibly be the same. The GLK is a more premium vehicle, and you can especially see that on the interior. But when I priced them out, the GLK was considerably more, around $150 more per month on a lease.

It would be more reasonable to compare the GLK to the X3. In terms of size, the GLK is somewhere in the middle between the X1 and X3, but in terms of features, cost and driving dynamics, it is more in line with the X3.
Thank you for your reply Eric.

It's a 2014 GLK, not 2015 model, so the dealer is giving a big discount. A lot of people reported that they got 15%~18% off MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 03:22 AM   #4
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x1

If they are the same price, i would definitely go for the GLK
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 05:02 AM   #5
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Yes, it sounds like a great deal. It may not have some of the driving dynamics of the X1, but it's a more premium vehicle and much more luxurious on the interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273
Yes, it sounds like a great deal. It may not have some of the driving dynamics of the X1, but it's a more premium vehicle and much more luxurious on the interior.
It all depends what you're looking for. The GLK is definitely bigger than the X1 and really competes with the X3. I work with someone who has a GLK and he let me drive it one night when we went to dinner. It's a fine automobile....luxurious, comfortable and more room than the X1. Personally, I like the look of it and was hoping to love it because I was considering it as a future vehicle. I have to say though....it just didn't drive nearly as well as my X1. The 7 speed auto was not as responsive as the 8 speed in the X1 and the handling was much more soft and sloppy. It may be similar in performance, on paper, but it sure didn't feel like it. I was disappointed because I was really hoping i'd like it. Drive an X1, X3 and GLK back to back and then make your decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
I'd say go for the X1.. It may be smaller but it does have more kit on it... The GLK is pretty empty up to what you said but if you'd choose to go for a GLA 250 with equivalent Tech then it would be a pretty tough choice... But for now i say X1
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_alnimah
I'd say go for the X1.. It may be smaller but it does have more kit on it... The GLK is pretty empty up to what you said but if you'd choose to go for a GLA 250 with equivalent Tech then it would be a pretty tough choice... But for now i say X1
What????
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

The BMW is missing the premium package, so I would say it is still pretty basic (e.g. no moonroof, no keyless entry or folding mirrors.)

I think they are both lightly optioned. The BMW is obviously aimed at sporty driving (RWD, no moonroof: lower center of gravity and lighter, sport seats). It will be much sportier than the GLK. But GLK will be more luxurious, AWD could be a plus if you go the mountains.

I like X1 better than GLK in general, but if they are same price I think GLK is a better buy unless sport is much more important for you than luxury.

Also I am sure you can find a 2014 X1 at a lower price with better packaging (e.g. ultimate package).
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
AWF87M2
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

since you are comparing the X1 with the GLK350, the you should at least compare it with the X drive 35i instead. However the facelift 2015 X3 which should be the GLK straight on competitor is a much better package then the GLK350 given the fact that BMW updated with some new gadgets, such as the led headlights
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 10:09 PM   #11
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw4life View Post
since you are comparing the X1 with the GLK350, the you should at least compare it with the X drive 35i instead. However the facelift 2015 X3 which should be the GLK straight on competitor is a much better package then the GLK350 given the fact that BMW updated with some new gadgets, such as the led headlights
I thought the 2013+ x1 has LED headlights too? Based on other thread here.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #12
AWF87M2
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

nope. The only led portion is the angle eyes. The projector itself isn't led. Search up "X3 Lci led". The system is fully led like some of the new models on the BMW lineup
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmr View Post
I thought the 2013+ x1 has LED headlights too? Based on other thread here.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Or the Mini. LED's are actually cheaper than HID's to manufacture. They are nice though, consume a lot less power and last much longer.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
sacsac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
The BMW is missing the premium package, so I would say it is still pretty basic (e.g. no moonroof, no keyless entry or folding mirrors.)

I think they are both lightly optioned. The BMW is obviously aimed at sporty driving (RWD, no moonroof: lower center of gravity and lighter, sport seats). It will be much sportier than the GLK. But GLK will be more luxurious, AWD could be a plus if you go the mountains.

I like X1 better than GLK in general, but if they are same price I think GLK is a better buy unless sport is much more important for you than luxury.

Also I am sure you can find a 2014 X1 at a lower price with better packaging (e.g. ultimate package).
I tought the X1 base model (without any packages/options) has remote keyless entry (not comfort access keyless entry).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #15
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

It has a remote but you have to take it out of your pocket and put it in the slot on the dash to start the engine. No big deal I agree but leaving the key in the pocket is nice to have.

No premium or ultimate package also means manual seats. Again if you are the only driver no big deal but if two people driving the car it is nice to have the seat memory option.

Having said that again I think you should go for the Merc if they are really the same price, particularly if you want to buy the car. With AWD and depreciation already baked in, it will be a better buy. If you want to lease it even though they are same price the lease on X1 could be considerably lower.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #16
sacsac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
It has a remote but you have to take it out of your pocket and put it in the slot on the dash to start the engine. No big deal I agree but leaving the key in the pocket is nice to have.

No premium or ultimate package also means manual seats. Again if you are the only driver no big deal but if two people driving the car it is nice to have the seat memory option.

Having said that again I think you should go for the Merc if they are really the same price, particularly if you want to buy the car. With AWD and depreciation already baked in, it will be a better buy. If you want to lease it even though they are same price the lease on X1 could be considerably lower.
Thank you for your advice! Sport Line Package includes sport seats and 8-way power adjustable front seats.

Which dealer in Bay Area is your X1 shopping place? So far I only got 8% off MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

That is not true. Power seats are a $995 option, so it just makes sense to get the premium or ultimate package if you want this option.

I think probably Stevens Creek BMW has the most competitive pricing. In terms of inventory BMW of SF usually has the most X1 because they are popular in the city.

If you want a lot of standard features Audi Q3 is a better value. Most features are standard (HID lights, sunroof, leather power seats, etc).

Last edited by MazdaFan; 11-06-2014 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #18
Dmitry83
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: F30 320i (328i ECU) M-Sport

Hi,

I copy my post (with slight additions) from another thread, but this is a more direct one, and could be more useful here:

" I own both X1 28i Sport Line and GLK 350.

GLK is a great and very reliable car, but has nothing to compare aginst X1 in terms of driving pleasure:

- GLK is 300kg heavier, and you feel it very obvious
- GLK brake pedal has long travel and is soft, X1 has traditionally for BMW short-travelling stiff pedal
- GLK steering is significantly slower than those of X1
- GLK has a strong understeer and diagonal floating, while the X1 is amaizingly agile and feels like a piece of solid rubber
- X1 is 20:80 transmission ratio, which makes it a hot rear-wheel drive lifted hatch, GLK is 40:60, that feels square, calm and safe SUV (try them both on slippery roads- the X1 is simply stunningly thrilling and flexible, while GLK is safe and a little lazy)
- GLK feels underdamped (weight distribution, longitudal floating, 19" rock-heavy wheels wobbling), X1 feels greatly balanced between steering and comfort
- GLK has a naturally aspirated good sounding thirsty 3,5-liter engine, X1 has more economical 2-liter turbo, which has a pronounced advantage in torque at the low-revs
- GLK has a not-that-rapid 7-Gtronic, which likes to kick when engine breaking at shifting down in any auto-mode. X1 has a smart 8-geared box, which is tremendously fast and predictable in Sport mode.
- GLK has wide and hard seats with low back and a hard front edge of the seat, X1 (sport) seats are tight and amazingly comfortable
- In general GLK is a comfortable and quite highway cruiser, which has a good off-road potential, and provides you a comfort and functionality, while X1 is a great driving instrument bringing you smile and youth injection in every twist of the road

Both of the cars are non-runflat.
X1- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45/18
GLK- Pirelli P-Zero 235/50/19+255/45/19"
F80 bottom reinforcement plate
Koni Sport, M-Performance springs, M135i Anti-roll bars

Last edited by Dmitry83; 02-22-2015 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0