XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

What is this, in the center arm rest?

See attached pic. Is this to store the external, detachable cup holder, when it's not in use?

Vince.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
phames
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive281 M Sport

Yes, it holds the removable cupholder, quite well and without rattles.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
vbbuilt
Private
Rep

phames, thanks for the feedback!

I keep that insertable cupholder always mounted - I use it all the time. That leaves that "storage spot" empty. I'm wondering if an insert is available, a cup if you will, that can be inserted there? That way, one can throw spare change etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
phames, thanks for the feedback!

I keep that insertable cupholder always mounted - I use it all the time. That leaves that "storage spot" empty. I'm wondering if an insert is available, a cup if you will, that can be inserted there? That way, one can throw spare change etc.
I have an ashtray I kept from a Mini I traded in a couple of cars ago (shh, don't tell on me!) that I use for change and it fits in that spot exactly. It actually fits in that spot with the cupholder in it (it also fits in center armrest cupholder) but then you can't close the lid of the compartment all the way. So I've been keeping the second cupholder in the glove box. This is the best thing I've found for a change holder in the car so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocGuy View Post
I have an ashtray I kept from a Mini I traded in a couple of cars ago (shh, don't tell on me!) that I use for change and it fits in that spot exactly. It actually fits in that spot with the cupholder in it (it also fits in center armrest cupholder) but then you can't close the lid of the compartment all the way. So I've been keeping the second cupholder in the glove box. This is the best thing I've found for a change holder in the car so far.
Ha! How amusing! I have the old ashtray (a cylindrical cup with a flip-top lid) from my old Ford Escape that fits exactly into the silly removable BMW cupholder, while it is itself nested inside in the center console. And the console lid closes without a problem. And I too use it to store spare change for parking meters. Great minds think alike!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
vbbuilt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantanx View Post
Ha! How amusing! I have the old ashtray (a cylindrical cup with a flip-top lid) from my old Ford Escape that fits exactly into the silly removable BMW cupholder, while it is itself nested inside in the center console. And the console lid closes without a problem. And I too use it to store spare change for parking meters. Great minds think alike!
Hmmm, do you think it's possible that that ashtray might still be available online somewhere, perhaps Ford website? What model year was that Escape?

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

I'm may try the Winplus Coin Holder in there.

We have a problem where most car washes and some valets steal your quarters so I may just stick to my stealth quarter holder.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

An ashtray for holding actual ashes would be nice...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, do you think it's possible that that ashtray might still be available online somewhere, perhaps Ford website? What model year was that Escape?
Vince.
It's a 2001 Ford Escape ashtray cup, #YLX8-7804788-A, and I took some photos of it today for you, below.

I have no idea if you can still order this OEM part, but a quick check of eBay turns up the following:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...+ashtry&_rdc=1

Cheers!

Name:  DSC_0441.jpg
Views: 4253
Size:  189.4 KB
Name:  DSC_0442.jpg
Views: 4285
Size:  174.8 KB
Name:  DSC_0443.jpg
Views: 4275
Size:  169.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0444.jpg
Views: 4265
Size:  203.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
vbbuilt
Private
Rep

Quote:
It's a 2001 Ford Escape ashtray cup, #YLX8-7804788-A, and I took some photos of it today for you, below.

I have no idea if you can still order this OEM part, but a quick check of eBay turns up the following:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...+ashtry&_rdc=1

Cheers!
I really appreciate the quick response! Thanks! I'll let you know what I turn up!

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #11
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

My change holder: A Greek yogurt container in the console cup holder. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
My change holder: A Greek yogurt container in the console cup holder. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
Nice! What flavour?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
vbbuilt
Private
Rep

Solution doesn't work

Someone recommended getting the removable ashtray found in Ford Escape. I ordered one from ebay ($20). It's far too small when inserted into the empty holder in the arm rest.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Vince.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Nice! What flavour?
Razzzzzzberry, of course
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Someone recommended getting the removable ashtray found in Ford Escape. I ordered one from ebay ($20). It's far too small when inserted into the empty holder in the arm rest.

Any other ideas?
Yes, try sticking it into the *not-empty* holder in the arm rest like both I and RocGuy suggested. You need to put the removable passenger cup holder into it's fitted storage spot inside the arm rest and then place the ash cup inside that. It's designed to fit inside a cupholder, and that's exactly what you have to do with it. See my photos, above.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #16
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Vince.
The ash tray I'm using fits in there without the cup holder in there. It's from my 09 Mini Clubman. It's not perfect and moves around some. But I do not hear or feel it sliding around while driving. The lid is too big to fit into the cup holder and also close the armrest lid. But in that empty spot it does ok. I'm on vacation but will try to post pics when I get back if anyone wants to see.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #17
vbbuilt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, try sticking it into the *not-empty* holder in the arm rest like both I and RocGuy suggested. You need to put the removable passenger cup holder into it's fitted storage spot inside the arm rest and then place the ash cup inside that. It's designed to fit inside a cupholder, and that's exactly what you have to do with it. See my photos, above.
True enough, but as I stated in the very beginning, I routinely use the removable cup holder, leaving it mounted. I don't store it in the arm rest.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
vbbuilt
Private
Rep

Quote:
The ash tray I'm using fits in there without the cup holder in there. It's from my 09 Mini Clubman. It's not perfect and moves around some. But I do not hear or feel it sliding around while driving. The lid is too big to fit into the cup holder and also close the armrest lid. But in that empty spot it does ok. I'm on vacation but will try to post pics when I get back if anyone wants to see.
I appreciate that! Thanks!

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
vbbuilt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Roc, wondering if you've had an opportunity to snap a couple pics of that clubman ashtray?

Thanks, Vince.
Appreciate 0