XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #23
Yarvis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 SDrive 30i

How does one access those rear speakers?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #24
kape60
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Got them installed an hour ago, and tested them out. First impressions: WOW!

^Jingo56 is exactly correct in his post.

Regarding removing the door panel, the shop used their own torx tool. The one that comes with the kit seems flimsy. The removal of all the components is really straight forward. There are provided directions on how to install them, and I advise going by those directions. You will remove the trim on the door panel, handle, and another piece I don't exactly recall; everything is stated on the directions, it is really simple.

To be quite honest, I didn't want to make the guys at the shop uncomfortable by hovering above their shoulder watching everything, so I watched from a bit of a distance. No joke, they swapped out BOTH speakers in 21 minutes, start to finish, including getting the door panels off and back on. Of course it's because they are professionals, but this install did not seem intimidating at all. If I could go back in time, I would have installed it myself and save a hundred bucks.

The shop left out the silver plastic casting with "Focal" written on it for the tweeters. Would have looked pretty cool inside the tweeter panel, but oh well. They said there would be a problem with the tweeters sitting properly if they left them on. Didn't want to take a risk of having something rattle or have other issues arise. Also, to prevent any rattles or issues in the future, make sure you tie up the wires with the included zip-tie nicely into the door, as the video (LINK) suggests.

Regarding the actual sound, there is a significant improvement in not only sound quality, but bass as well. Jingo described it very well in that his daughter thought that there's more surround sound. This is the exact same feeling I get.

Think of it like this: If you crank the music up high, with the stock non-Harman-Kardon speakers, it feels like you're sitting outside in the park with a couple of speakers sitting at your feet and a subwoofer sitting a hundred feet from you, in the open. You can hear background noise rather well, and it sounds like there is just too much vocal, and a muffled bass. With these Focal speakers, on the same volume, it feels as if you are sitting in a cave with speakers installed in the walls of the cave, and a subwoofer sitting at your feet. The texture of the tone, if that makes any sense, sounds so full and pure, compared with before where it felt like you had on Apple headphones. Bass is, without a doubt, much improved. The shop turned up the volume and it really sounded like there was a subwoofer installed in my car. Much more punchier and clearer.

This factor affirms my opinion about too much vocal with the stock speakers: when you first install the speakers, it feels like the treble is turned down all the way. You would need to adjust it to just a tad higher than 3/4 way for a mixed balance of sound-type. When you do, you'll recognize the fuller sound and clearer bass. The bass really hits your chest hard if turned up all the way.

So...would I recommend this Focal kit? To be completely honest, yes and no.

YES if you can't stand the stock non Harman-Kardon OEM speakers. Personally, it wasn't that I could stand the stock speakers, it's just that I wanted better sound. If you can justify spending anywhere around $650-700 for top of the notch sound quality, go for it. You will not be disappointed. An absolute yes if you listen to music that is heavy in bass and you don't want to add a subwoofer.

NO if you feel the stock speakers are just fine, or you listen to music that is heavy in vocals and don't care too much for bass. If you don't listen to music often enough and when you do, don't turn it up too high, one simply cannot justify dropping so much money for replacement speakers. No be honest, BMW's OEM non-HK speakers are really not that bad, vocal-wise, relative to the Focal speakers. Bass-wise, they could be significantly better.

Personally, I nitpick the little things, and something just felt missing in the sound. These Focal speakers give me what was missing: clearer, more "open" sound, heavier bass, and the ability to listen to any kind of music and enjoy it, where the stock speakers were limited in what sounded good (vocal heavy music) and what did not (bass focused, deeper music).

All in all, if you're like me and are willing to spend to improve the sound, you will NOT be disappointed. The install seems rather easy after observing the shop perform the installation. I would recommend you save $75-100 and install it yourself. Focal speakers are the best in the market, and that is an understatement.
Did you change all 4 speakers ?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #25
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kape60 View Post
Did you change all 4 speakers ?
There are 2 speakers and 2 tweeters in the Focal kit. Speakers belong to the front driver's side and passenger's side door panels, and the tweeters go in the A-pillars.
Appreciate 0