XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Question Scratches on your tinted windows?

I'm sure many of you have tinted your windows. Have you noticed scratches on the tint?

On my first e90 I didn't install protectors and the tint got scratched. On my second e90 I installed "moleskin" felt and no scratches were present.

Also I'm missing the darker strip on the windshield from my e90. Now I just have extra small visors on a large windshield and the sun is blinding me a lot. I'm considering installing some 80% tint on the windshield but that will be just for heat rejection. So I'm really looking for ideas of that darker strip on top of the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Dirtyduc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

I had that issue with E90 as well. But then again I took it to a no name shop. No issues with the X1 so far
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
bluejay_el
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
I'm sure many of you have tinted your windows. Have you noticed scratches on the tint?

On my first e90 I didn't install protectors and the tint got scratched. On my second e90 I installed "moleskin" felt and no scratches were present.

Also I'm missing the darker strip on the windshield from my e90. Now I just have extra small visors on a large windshield and the sun is blinding me a lot. I'm considering installing some 80% tint on the windshield but that will be just for heat rejection. So I'm really looking for ideas of that darker strip on top of the windshield.

Im actually planning on getting one. What is the brand of tint that you put on your X1? I assume you didn't install moleskin on it?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

I got dealer tint in Australia, has been nearly two years and it is holding up well. No scratches, but then I keep the inside of the windows clean, and have trained the kids to avoid touching the inside on the windows. Also use window cleaners with a window micro-fibre cloth, gets them much cleaner, don't let window cleaner dry on the window and make sure the windows are cool to the touch.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay_el View Post
Im actually planning on getting one. What is the brand of tint that you put on your X1? I assume you didn't install moleskin on it?
I haven't installed tint yet. The dealer offered but I declined knowing that they install metallic tint, which some people are saying interfere with the radio and CA reception. I'm debating between:

Llumar Charcoal CTX 30 (cheapest)
Huper Optik Ceramic 30
3M Crystalline 40 (most expensive)

Some companies require the installation of moleskin felt and charge $25 per door. The kit ordered online is $25 for all four doors, which is significant difference. It's wintertime and it's not that critical right now so I'm postponing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I've never had scratching on any of my windows. Mind you, after I get mine tinted, I rarely drop my windows down. I find too, that using baby shampoo, really cleans the time well and won't fade it or cause pitting
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
SQ5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10 Gen 2, Tesla Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post

Hmmmm, my neighbor has an X1 and said he installed Tint Protector Moleskin on his car.

Has anyone confirmed that there is no factory felt on the inner weather strip of the X1's?
Appreciate 0