Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
Busta Rib
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

I joined the club!

After a lot of back and forth, I recently joined the E84 family. I was originally shopping E91, F30, and F31s. I originally wanted a 335i Xdrive with manual but that can only be had in sedan/coupe format. Then I started looking at the E91 and F31s. On a whim while checking out an E91 at a dealer, I happened to see an X1 on their lot and ultimately pulled the trigger.

It is a 35i and in fantastic condition. I wasn't shopping X1s but the fact it comes with the turbo 6 sold me over the 3-series wagon. The looks have grown on me as well. It is a great (and only) solution for those looking for a small hatchback with the N55 engine.

I haven't even picked it up yet. I am flying into SLC next week and will take a detour to SF before returning to Seattle. It looks lowered based on the photos but the dealer doesn't think so. Your thoughts?

I plan on adding a JB4 tune and might add coilovers to lower it more. I think it has been modified in other ways. Is there a way to tell if it already has a tune? I don't intend on taking it offroad so for me, this is basically like my city wagon.

It currently has stock wheels with Blizzak winter tires. I will need to buy another set of summer wheels and tires. I want to get 19's. What offsets and tire sizes should I be looking at? This is my 8th BMW but first AWD. Should I stick to a square setup? Help a brother out.

Here are some pics from the dealer. I'll update with more once I have it back home.

Last edited by Busta Rib; 02-09-2018 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
bmwx1sq145.00
      01-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Busta Rib
Private
United_States
Rep

BTW, my current sled will be for sale soon. I need to get it detailed and will have a PPI done. PM me if interested. I am still working on pricing. It is begging for a S54 conversion.

2002 325iT slick top
~174K miles
Engine: Stock M54b25
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual M3 Getrag
Flywheel/Clutch: Bimmer World steel single mass flywheel, M3 clutch
Differential: Quaife LSD, 3.46:1 final drive
Suspension: Bilstein PSS-10 Coilovers, UUC sway bars, M3 front strut bar
Brakes: 330Ci front calipers, stainless steel lines
Interior: Corbeau GTII heated leather seats, M steering wheel
Exterior: M-Tech II body kit
Attached Images

Last edited by Busta Rib; 01-25-2018 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Congrats and welcome!

Certainly looks lowered to me. It *could* be an optical illusion from the photo angles, though?

If you go 19s, you'll definitely want to go with a non-RFT (you'll probably want to avoid runflats even at 18") as the ride has been widely categorized as "punishing" with 19s and RFTs. I would *not* go staggered, but that's personal opinion. The AWD isn't rear-biased enough to justify it, IMO. Plus, assuming you go with directional summer tires, you can't even rotate front to rear if you go staggered.

As far as tunes go - if it's got a JB4, you'll be able to see the box/device under the hood. If it's a Dinan or other ECU reflash, I can't help you there - probably no good way to tell.

I'd ask the dealer if they have any contact info for the guy who traded it in - he'll be able to tell you all you want to know. Or, if there is an independent shop/tuner that's listed as doing any of the maintenance on the Carfax, you could hit them up. I got good history on a Golf R I was shopping that way.

Enjoy the new whip!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
Congrats and welcome!

As far as tunes go - if it's got a JB4, you'll be able to see the box/device under the hood. If it's a Dinan or other ECU reflash, I can't help you there - probably no good way to tell.
You can't necessarily see a JB4 box under the hood, you might just see the extra connections. I have mine in the same box as the fuse and the CAN wires, so it's pretty well hidden!
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
KWX1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive35i

Lowered for sure.
      01-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Love a white car with black trim. Car definitely looks like it was owned by an enthusiast: black grill, black painted stock rims, tint, M-sport, lowered. I would keep it like it is and maybe add some winter tires/rims. If you're lucky, maybe they got lazy and left the JB4 intact. It's hard to identify the extra plugs and cable if you don't know what to look for. Maybe see if it has an aftermarket charge pipe already. A JB4 will enter console mode by simultaneously pressing <volume down> and <skip back> buttons on the steering wheel (on the left and right sides respectively).

In any case, congrats! Great looking car.
      01-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #7
Busta Rib
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
Congrats and welcome!

Certainly looks lowered to me. It *could* be an optical illusion from the photo angles, though?

If you go 19s, you'll definitely want to go with a non-RFT (you'll probably want to avoid runflats even at 18") as the ride has been widely categorized as "punishing" with 19s and RFTs. I would *not* go staggered, but that's personal opinion. The AWD isn't rear-biased enough to justify it, IMO. Plus, assuming you go with directional summer tires, you can't even rotate front to rear if you go staggered.

I'd ask the dealer if they have any contact info for the guy who traded it in - he'll be able to tell you all you want to know. Or, if there is an independent shop/tuner that's listed as doing any of the maintenance on the Carfax, you could hit them up. I got good history on a Golf R I was shopping that way.

Enjoy the new whip!
Thanks for the tips. I asked for PO info but the dealer didn't have it. The Carfax report cites services from the BMW dealership where it was sold (BMW of Ridgefield, CT) and a tire shop in SLC. Dealerships never tell you anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWX1 View Post
Lowered for sure.
Yeah, what I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
Love a white car with black trim. Car definitely looks like it was owned by an enthusiast: black grill, black painted stock rims, tint, M-sport, lowered. I would keep it like it is and maybe add some winter tires/rims. If you're lucky, maybe they got lazy and left the JB4 intact. It's hard to identify the extra plugs and cable if you don't know what to look for. Maybe see if it has an aftermarket charge pipe already. A JB4 will enter console mode by simultaneously pressing <volume down> and <skip back> buttons on the steering wheel (on the left and right sides respectively).

In any case, congrats! Great looking car.
Thanks! Definitely owned by an enthusiast. I will do the steering wheel test to see if it has the tune, as well as look for some extraneous connections under the hood. Gonna keep it as-is and drive it for awhile before going crazy with mods. It is set up pretty well already.

It comes with winter wheels/tires. I need some 19" summer wheels/tires. Would E9X wheels for xDrive cars work? Or are the offsets different for RWD vs AWD E9X cars?
      01-24-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
KWX1
Captain
Rep

This below thread will help you with tire size and offset

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312450
      01-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta Rib View Post
Thanks for the tips. I asked for PO info but the dealer didn't have it. The Carfax report cites services from the BMW dealership where it was sold (BMW of Ridgefield, CT) and a tire shop in SLC. Dealerships never tell you anything.

Yeah, what I thought.

Thanks! Definitely owned by an enthusiast. I will do the steering wheel test to see if it has the tune, as well as look for some extraneous connections under the hood. Gonna keep it as-is and drive it for awhile before going crazy with mods. It is set up pretty well already.

It comes with winter wheels/tires. I need some 19" summer wheels/tires. Would E9X wheels for xDrive cars work? Or are the offsets different for RWD vs AWD E9X cars?
It's got a lot of room under the fenders. Stock wheels are 8" with a 35mm offset. You can run like 15+mm spacers with those easily.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
Westies
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
It's got a lot of room under the fenders. Stock wheels are 8" with a 35mm offset. You can run like 15+mm spacers with those easily.
I was amazed at the amount of room in the wells when I took a wheel off for test fitting.
OP, your car looks awesome, I'll be sure to wave if I see you on the road!
      01-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #11
Busta Rib
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westies View Post
I was amazed at the amount of room in the wells when I took a wheel off for test fitting.
OP, your car looks awesome, I'll be sure to wave if I see you on the road!
For sure, I'll keep an eye out. There aren't too many X1s with M Sport packages rolling around.
      01-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
Busta Rib
Private
United_States
Rep

I found a set of summer wheels I am interested in. The sizes are below. Anyone know if they would fit? I'm pretty sure the fronts would fit, but unsure of the rear wheels. Seems aggressive and I don't want to deal with any rubbing. Thanks in advance for any advice.

19x8.5 ET32
19X10 ET25
      01-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #13
KWX1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I found a set of summer wheels I am interested in. The sizes are below. Anyone know if they would fit? I'm pretty sure the fronts would fit, but unsure of the rear wheels. Seems aggressive and I don't want to deal with any rubbing. Thanks in advance for any advice.

19x8.5 ET32
19X10 ET25

That rear width with that ET will stick way out past the fender well and yes with the car lowered will most likely rub. There is allot of room under the rear to use a higher ET to get that width.
      01-26-2018, 10:02 PM   #14
Westies
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i M sport

Quote:
For sure, I'll keep an eye out. There aren't too many X1s with M Sport packages rolling around.
Very few for sure, I have yet to see another 35i w/ the M sport pkg. Love the current ride btw, if I had any extra $$ I'd buy it to daily.

Quote:
That rear width with that ET will stick way out past the fender well and yes with the car lowered will most likely rub. There is allot of room under the rear to use a higher ET to get that width.
The rears would definitely be out past the fender. I'm running 9.5 ET28 in the rear and they are pretty much flush.

Last edited by Westies; 01-26-2018 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: grammatical error
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 12:13 AM   #15
Busta Rib
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the clarification on the wheel fitment, everyone. Helps a lot. The search continues.
      01-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #16
Busta Rib
Private
United_States
Rep

I found another set of summer wheels. Would like to get opinions on potential fitment. The fronts are 19X8.5" with et15. Too aggressive? My new car is lowered, but I don't know with what or by how much. Can only tell based on what is in the photos above.
      01-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #17
KWX1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I found another set of summer wheels. Would like to get opinions on potential fitment. The fronts are 19X8.5" with et15. Too aggressive? My new car is lowered, but I don't know with what or by how much. Can only tell based on what is in the photos above.
I have 19x8.5 ET35 and they are flush with the wheel well. Those would stick out 20mm +/- past the wheel well and , yes it will rub on your lowered car.
      01-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #18
Busta Rib
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
I have 19x8.5 ET35 and they are flush with the wheel well. Those would stick out 20mm +/- past the wheel well and , yes it will rub on your lowered car.
      01-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #19
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

Car looks sweet OP.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #20
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
What size tires are you running?

I would love to go 245/40/19 square, but that's .6" larger than OEM sizes. I'm afraid it'll rub with H&Rs.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #21
Busta Rib
Private
United_States
Rep

I flew into SLC last week and picked up my car. Had the chance to spend a lot of time with it on the road and drove it to SF and then Bend. Overall, I love this car! The comfort, handling, and execution is fantastic. Best daily I've ever owned.

I know the PO modified it because it is lowered, but not sure if it just has springs or coilovers. I need to get underneath the car and check. A quick peek behind the front wheels looks like just lowering springs, but I am not sure.

It goes like a bat out of hell too! Without any reference I couldn't tell if it was running with stock power or had a tune. Well, I just looked under the hood and saw the telltale ground wire connected to the passenger side shock tower. After watching some JB4 install videos on Youtube, I was able to figure out how to access the settings for a JB4 tune and lo and behold, it worked on my car!

It's not surprising because when I stomped on it on my roadtrip, it seemed extraordinarily fast. Without having the instructions, I am not sure what map is currently selected for my car. Anyone know where I can find a copy or would be willing to share theirs? Help a brother out.

**Edit**
I found the instructions here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13189

Last edited by Busta Rib; 02-08-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #22
hooligan_G01
Rep

Lucky you!

What springs are on it, H&Rs?

Congrats, it looks great! Your pics have me considering going gloss black or anthracite on my OEM wheels vs. going aftermarket.
Appreciate 0