Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28 M-Sport

Possible long term impact of using start / stop

I'd like to get some opinions from people who have been using start / stop on their X1 for several years. What I'm wondering is if there are any known problems of premature failure of starter motors or batteries for prolonged use of start /stop?

2015 X1 Valencia Orange, M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Xdrive 28i

The owner's manual says it will cause extra wear. My co-worker said he almost got into an accident because of the one-second stall caused by that at a red light. I was warned from day one to keep it turnned off. Especially when I live in New York City area, and it is extremely annoying in stop and go traffic. I could only imagine people who live on the country side who rarely has to make frequent stops would choose to leave this feature on.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_Car View Post
I'd like to get some opinions from people who have been using start / stop on their X1 for several years. What I'm wondering is if there are any known problems of premature failure of starter motors or batteries for prolonged use of start /stop?
Starter life will be diminished. Don't know anyone that likes the feature and uses it regularly.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Royleblue
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d Sport

Another advantage of manual transmissions. You have full control when stop start kicks in.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

I absolutely love the start/stop feature. In just the first few days, I figured out how to stop the car in ways that would either trigger the ASS or not, and now can do either with a 100% success rate. So I only use it when I feel like the car will be stopped for a decent amount of time.

For me, it's a great feeling to be at a stop light for 2 minutes and not use a single drop of gasoline that whole time. And in situations like stop signs or stop-n-go traffic, I simply use a gentler touch on the brake pedal and ASS never comes on to bother me.

It's great.

Now, yes, I do think if I was planning on owning this car rather than leasing, I would be more concerned with the extra wear, but, like they say, not my problem . . .

Also, Royleblue, how does ASS work on a manual? I imagine it kicks in when the engine is on and you put the car in neutral and remove your foot from clutch? and then the engine comes back on when you engage the clutch? That sounds really great, can't wait for it on my (eventual) m235i.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
For me, it's a great feeling to be at a stop light for 2 minutes and not use a single drop of gasoline that whole time. And in situations like stop signs or stop-n-go traffic, I simply use a gentler touch on the brake pedal and ASS never comes on to bother me.
This is probably the main reason why I am now using start/stop fairly regularly.

2015 X1 Valencia Orange, M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_Car View Post
This is probably the main reason why I am now using start/stop fairly regularly.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 02:16 AM   #8
E39lolz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 x1 xDrive35i, '13 Mustang

This last week I attending the Un4gettable event at my local BMW dealer and all 435's had ASS. It was my first time experiencing ASS and let's just say I'm glad my 35i doesn't have ASS.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

Never has an acronym been more appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpants View Post
Never has an acronym been more appropriate.
Indeed. There's a software update for US Spec 3ers that remembers the ASS setting (on or off) but the German BMW dealer keeps telling my buddy that there is no such update.

I'm coding ASS OFF ASAP.
      05-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
Royleblue
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
Also, Royleblue, how does ASS work on a manual? I imagine it kicks in when the engine is on and you put the car in neutral and remove your foot from clutch? and then the engine comes back on when you engage the clutch? That sounds really great, can't wait for it on my (eventual) m235i.
Exactly. It's taking me a while to get used to using it as I was taught to put the car into first when stopped so you can move off quickly if needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
Starter life will be diminished. Don't know anyone that likes the feature and uses it regularly.
I use it all the time and I like it. Saves me 2+ miles per gallon. What is not too like about it? Over the next 4 years it should save me 943 dollars at the current gas prices and mileage I drive. If the starter dies during those years it will be replaced for free by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyboy View Post
The owner's manual says it will cause extra wear. My co-worker said he almost got into an accident because of the one-second stall caused by that at a red light. I was warned from day one to keep it turnned off. Especially when I live in New York City area, and it is extremely annoying in stop and go traffic. I could only imagine people who live on the country side who rarely has to make frequent stops would choose to leave this feature on.
That doesn't make sense at all. If you are in traffic a lot that is why you use it. If you were in the country side with infrequent stops the ASS wouldn't provide anything. And I am calling BS on your coworker. By the time you move your foot from the gas pedal from the brake pedal the car is started. Wonderful system. If you want the car to start before you move you foot from the brake you can slightly move the steering wheel and the car will start right up.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
I use it all the time and I like it. Saves me 2+ miles per gallon. What is not too like about it? Over the next 4 years it should save me 943 dollars at the current gas prices and mileage I drive. If the starter dies during those years it will be replaced for free by BMW.
Dude, you're making way too much sense!

I honestly don't understand why everyone here complains so much? It must be because they haven't figured out how easy it is to control with your foot. I just see it as another chance to be more involved in the driving, which is a welcome opportunity in an auto.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:44 AM   #15
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
BMW has a lot of engineers that have made sure the starter won't die during those years. Most people in the US lease their BMW so they don't care about the starter either. My hunch is that after several years of these systems being active you'll see models that use it take a larger depreciation hit as people realize that the starter has to be replaced as often as a water pump.

If it's valuable to you depends on how long you plan on keeping your automobile. If you get a new car every 3 or 4 years you can save some money by using the system.

Personally, I hate it and am glad to spend a few extra dollars to keep it off.
      05-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #16
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
BMW has a lot of engineers that have made sure the starter won't die during those years. Most people in the US lease their BMW so they don't care about the starter either. My hunch is that after several years of these systems being active you'll see models that use it take a larger depreciation hit as people realize that the starter has to be replaced as often as a water pump.

If it's valuable to you depends on how long you plan on keeping your automobile. If you get a new car every 3 or 4 years you can save some money by using the system.

Personally, I hate it and am glad to spend a few extra dollars to keep it off.
I am sure it is made to last more than 4 years. I have a 4 year loan and I am not afraid, soon all cars will have this feature. Time value of money as we'll it is better to save money today than in 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #17
jbc77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2013 X1 s28i

At least BMW gives the ability to turn ASS off. My understanding is the system installed on some new Chevrolets cannot be switched off.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #18
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

As an ASS user (!!!), what I notice is that when I drive another car without ASS, and I am at a long stop, I get this impatient vibe of wasting gas as I idle. Unlike a poster above, I can't boast of "100%" being able to manipulate when ASS comes on or doesn't, but I come pretty close. I have a regular stop at a weird intersection near work that's on a hill and at an angle, and ASS will never come on there - sort of bugs me, because I can be stopped there for a minute or two...

ASS fan! Ha ha I just love typing that.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #19
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Options are good. I don't always turn it off.
      06-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #20
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
For me, because I intend on keeping this car for awhile, I don't use it. Every time the engine stops, so does the flow of oil. When it starts back up there's that few moments in time where some parts aren't lubricated thus causing wear. These parts to me are much more expensive than an extra 1000 dollars over a 4 year period.

Also, as some others have stated, I find the system annoying in any traffic situation. I don't like that the engine starts and doesn't have time to settle into an idle before being forced to move the car. That in itself has to be stressful on components.

To each their own, but I'd say this; if you intend on owning for a long period of time, don't use it; if you're leasing or throwing it out at warranty end, it might save you a few hundred bucks.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #21
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
For me, because I intend on keeping this car for awhile, I don't use it. Every time the engine stops, so does the flow of oil. When it starts back up there's that few moments in time where some parts aren't lubricated thus causing wear. These parts to me are much more expensive than an extra 1000 dollars over a 4 year period.

Also, as some others have stated, I find the system annoying in any traffic situation. I don't like that the engine starts and doesn't have time to settle into an idle before being forced to move the car. That in itself has to be stressful on components.

To each their own, but I'd say this; if you intend on owning for a long period of time, don't use it; if you're leasing or throwing it out at warranty end, it might save you a few hundred bucks.
I guess you dont' drive the car over 2000 rpm's as that could be stressful on the engine. This is a feature that will be on every car and eventually it will end up being mandatory. You might as well get used to it now.. I trust the Engineers at BMW to know what they are doing. I guess people have a hard time with change. There are people who still change their oil every 3000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #22
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

horrible
Appreciate 0