Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-30-2022, 03:37 PM   #1
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

X1 35i - What to Replace it With

Well, my 2014 X1 35i is getting onto 80k miles, and I'm considering replacing it. I've not been very impressed with BMW as a company. I've had more headaches than enjoyments.

Now I'm getting to the point I worry about reliability. So the big question, what has everyone replaced it with? I'm looking for something comparable, both in performance and size.

I realize a lot of people might have already replaced

I don't see a lot of options.

The Jaquar F-Pace is a nice looking and performing SUV (albeit bigger) but they are a maintenance nightmare.

The Porche Macan S is in the realm, but I can't imagine daily driving a Porche.

The Bmw X2 is a decent contender, but I'm unsure about going into the 4Cyl realm. They just seem to be working a lot harder all the time.

These are all I've come across in the last week or so that appeals to me. So what does everyone else think?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 10:33 PM   #2
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

There the Audi Q3/5.
I think it's tough to find a small 6cyl mini ute nowadays. What's wrong with your 35i?
My 2014 28i has been a solid and reliable family hauler.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 02:55 AM   #3
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

Newer car wise the only thing that comes to mind is a Mercedes GLA AMG. On paper the GLA AMG seems most comparable to the E84 X1 based on size dimensions/weight under 4k lbs/performance oriented handling. While it's not a 6cyl, this 4cyl seems capable on the spec sheet.

The Macan S/F-Pace would be/feel larger and similar to the size of the current BMW X3. The GLA AMG/E84 X1 are under 4,000 lbs vs Macan S/F-Pace/X3 over 4,000 lbs so the GLA should feel more nimble. The Macan/F-Pace will definitely have a higher ride height compared to the E84 X1 so I'd guess the higher center of gravity would be noticeable, but maybe a test drive could convince you otherwise.

BMW X2, I can't think of any newer small SUV or CUV with a 6cyl. So if you like everything about the X2 except for the 4cyl, just think you'd be sacrificing the 2 extra cylinders with any newer small SUV/CUV anyways. From the sound of it the B48 engine seems to be a good one.

I'm in the same boat and considering replacing soon too. Other than the GLA AMG, we have to either sacrifice performance or size/utility. And there's no CUV/SUV under 4,000 lbs with a 6cyl engine (I think?). I'm probably gonna go with a smaller car next (sedan/hatch/coupe), but if I needed the size I'd probably go X3 M40i for that B58 6cyl motor and I'm BMW biased.
      03-31-2022, 08:53 AM   #4
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsleeper View Post
Newer car wise the only thing that comes to mind is a Mercedes GLA AMG. On paper the GLA AMG seems most comparable to the E84 X1 based on size dimensions/weight under 4k lbs/performance oriented handling. While it's not a 6cyl, this 4cyl seems capable on the spec sheet.

The Macan S/F-Pace would be/feel larger and similar to the size of the current BMW X3. The GLA AMG/E84 X1 are under 4,000 lbs vs Macan S/F-Pace/X3 over 4,000 lbs so the GLA should feel more nimble. The Macan/F-Pace will definitely have a higher ride height compared to the E84 X1 so I'd guess the higher center of gravity would be noticeable, but maybe a test drive could convince you otherwise.

BMW X2, I can't think of any newer small SUV or CUV with a 6cyl. So if you like everything about the X2 except for the 4cyl, just think you'd be sacrificing the 2 extra cylinders with any newer small SUV/CUV anyways. From the sound of it the B48 engine seems to be a good one.

I'm in the same boat and considering replacing soon too. Other than the GLA AMG, we have to either sacrifice performance or size/utility. And there's no CUV/SUV under 4,000 lbs with a 6cyl engine (I think?). I'm probably gonna go with a smaller car next (sedan/hatch/coupe), but if I needed the size I'd probably go X3 M40i for that B58 6cyl motor and I'm BMW biased.
I'm generally in the same boat with my daughter and her X1 35i... it has over 100k miles on it. Looked at the GLA and it was really awful. Also looked at Audi ... these were late model CPO... She decided to keep her X1 because the car is so well balanced between drive ability and power... most of the troublesome items have already been taken off...

Let us know what your decide. I'm not wed to BMW like I was in the past... their newer products are certainly not ultimate driving machines any longer
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 10:36 AM   #5
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Sadly, I think we all struggle with this.

Macan seems like the most natural one, but every time I look, for a comparable one with similar mileage will tend to be $20k more than the X1 and I just don't see an extra $20k in value. Sure, it'll have a nicer interior, better ride quality, and more luxurious, but not any more power, so I'd rather just keep my money.

An X2 m35i could be another pseudo replacement one, but eh, mini-based, turbo 4, with really harsh suspension (I hear, haven't driven one). Plus it looks like it's wearing gray lipstick on the front bumper.

A CX-5 turbo or new CX-50 turbo are other options, on paper, but when I drove the CX-5, I didn't find it all that engaging and the power delivery was weird and all down low, then progressively dies. That test drive just left me more intent on finding a used X1.

Genesis GV70 could be a good one, too. But in terms of new cars, none of them do much for me and are all incredibly expensive.

Your best option might be to just get ANOTHER X1, lowest mileage one you can find, and simply reset the clock. That might be what I'd advise. Or perhaps a used X3 m40i might be similar and still an "upgrade" in many ways.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

I'm keeping my X1 35i. Nothing else appeals to me, I'd rather put my money into maintaining and improving it rather than putting that money towards something else. It's not an investment I'm looking for any financial return on, just my own enjoyment.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2022, 04:14 PM   #7
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
I'm keeping my X1 35i. Nothing else appeals to me, I'd rather put my money into maintaining and improving it rather than putting that money towards something else. It's not an investment I'm looking for any financial return on, just my own enjoyment.
I'm with you. Seems like anything new or newer is both more expensive and I know I'd probably like it less, too.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 11:41 AM   #8
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
There the Audi Q3/5.
I think it's tough to find a small 6cyl mini ute nowadays. What's wrong with your 35i?
My 2014 28i has been a solid and reliable family hauler.
Nothing really wrong with my X135I, except the recent cancellation of connected drive, which really makes me hate BMW as a company. I paid the extra when I bought it, and I have an subscription through 2024, and BMW just says, "Oh well, too bad, maybe it's time for a newer car".

I've already replaced the water pump once, and it was an absolute bear of a job, I don't want to do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsleeper View Post

Yeah, the mini based part is a huge turn off for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
I'm generally in the same boat with my daughter and her X1 35i... it has over 100k miles on it. Looked at the GLA and it was really awful. Also looked at Audi ... these were late model CPO... She decided to keep her X1 because the car is so well balanced between drive ability and power... most of the troublesome items have already been taken off...

Let us know what your decide. I'm not wed to BMW like I was in the past... their newer products are certainly not ultimate driving machines any longer

What specific troublesome items do you mean?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 02:14 PM   #9
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

If you don't mind the increased heft, the X3 is good choice. It's quite the ubiquitous luxury small SUV. I find the F-pace to be real sexy. Unfortunately its forum is littered with ownership and material quality issues. It sounds awesome too.

My wife has been hankering for an upgrade. She has set her eyes on the X3. Recently was loaned a X6 M Sport when our X1 was in for a recall. I gotta admit, for its size, it drove small. It's also PDQ thanks to the B58 engine.

The e84 X1 is the last of its kind. It's basically a jacked up e90 3-series Touring. Those are hard to come by. How about a f30 touring wagon?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #10
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpAndCunning View Post
Nothing really wrong with my X135I, except the recent cancellation of connected drive, which really makes me hate BMW as a company. I paid the extra when I bought it, and I have an subscription through 2024, and BMW just says, "Oh well, too bad, maybe it's time for a newer car".

I've already replaced the water pump once, and it was an absolute bear of a job, I don't want to do it again.

Yeah, the mini based part is a huge turn off for me.

What specific troublesome items do you mean?
Charge pipe, radiator, various oil leaks seals etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 04:13 PM   #11
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A couple years ago I was going to do a EU delivery of a Volvo XC40 but Volvo ran out of allocation and then covid...

I may revisit this... my daughter liked the styling and size
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 06:35 PM   #12
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

If you're just looking for something similar as a replacement I would just drive the X1 into the ground.

You don't have the N20 timing chain issue to worry about, so the biggest E84 X1 problem is a non-issue for you.

The main reasons I got rid of mine were timing chain concerns and that I was ready to move to a completely different type of vehicle.
      04-01-2022, 06:51 PM   #13
Bolhaboy
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

volvo v90 and v60?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 09:19 PM   #14
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
A couple years ago I was going to do a EU delivery of a Volvo XC40 but Volvo ran out of allocation and then covid...

I may revisit this... my daughter liked the styling and size
I was going to suggest Volvo XC40. I have not looked into the vehicle in detail but I have mixed thoughts on getting another BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #15
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolhaboy View Post
volvo v90 and v60?
I had a V60 RDesign that was great. Couldn't find a polestar.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 02:36 PM   #16
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
I had a V60 RDesign that was great. Couldn't find a polestar.
I had a '16 S60 polestar along with the X1 for about 6 months. Weirdly, I can tell you that the polestar was far better in every way, shape, and form, and yet, when push came to shove, I weirdly decided to sell the polestar and keep the X1, in spite of it objectively being worse. I don't know, it was somehow more endearing, I felt more connected to it, and couldn't let it go. The polestar did sound great and was way too much fun. Certainly made me drive like a mad man, too.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 07:43 AM   #17
healeydays
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 Z3 3.0 --- 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpAndCunning View Post
Blame the phone companies for why your connected drive doesn't work anymore. It has to do with the phasing out of the 3G network by cellular carriers. BMW should refund anyone for any subscription loss though.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 11:01 AM   #18
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Sorry to hijack this a bit, but what do you guys use the connected drive for? I had it phased out of my older car years ago sadly when 2G was disposed of, but I only ever used it to send an address from google maps to the car's navigation. Obviously, the SOS and whatever other BMW Assist functions would be lost, too.

When 2G sunsetted though, BMW gave those of us with time still left on our supposed BMW Assist subscriptions to either get a free upgrade of the equipment to 3G (at the time) so it would still work, I think $250 (or more) in credit to use towards BMW parts/accessories, or $150 or $250 in cash. I wonder if they might do the same here?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 10:36 AM   #19
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Charge pipe, radiator, various oil leaks seals etc.
Have you done them yourself or had them done at a shop? did you replace the radiator with an all aluminum one? I've seen a lot of threads on this, and it's probably something I should consider doing, if I'm going to keep the car.

I did replace the charge pipe pre-emptively when I added the JB + tuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
If you're just looking for something similar as a replacement I would just drive the X1 into the ground.

You don't have the N20 timing chain issue to worry about, so the biggest E84 X1 problem is a non-issue for you.

The main reasons I got rid of mine were timing chain concerns and that I was ready to move to a completely different type of vehicle.
I would argue the biggest problem is the water pump. I really don't want to replace it again. Then the radiators are a big deal too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
I was going to suggest Volvo XC40. I have not looked into the vehicle in detail but I have mixed thoughts on getting another BMW.
Agreed. After the water pump and the connected drive BS, I think this may in fact be my last BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I had a '16 S60 polestar along with the X1 for about 6 months. Weirdly, I can tell you that the polestar was far better in every way, shape, and form, and yet, when push came to shove, I weirdly decided to sell the polestar and keep the X1, in spite of it objectively being worse. I don't know, it was somehow more endearing, I felt more connected to it, and couldn't let it go. The polestar did sound great and was way too much fun. Certainly made me drive like a mad man, too.

what motor and trim were in your polestar? It's an interesting idea. Looks like 2018 was the last year before the "recharge". There's one about 40 miles from me, I might have to go look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healeydays View Post
Blame the phone companies for why your connected drive doesn't work anymore. It has to do with the phasing out of the 3G network by cellular carriers. BMW should refund anyone for any subscription loss though.
BMW should either reimburse us for subscription cost, or find a way to upgrade the cars. Cancelling a service we paid for is literally stealing. If I didn't pay my car note, they'd come and take the car. But when the shoe is on the other foot, they tell us to kick rocks.

Quote:
Sorry to hijack this a bit, but what do you guys use the connected drive for? I had it phased out of my older car years ago sadly when 2G was disposed of, but I only ever used it to send an address from google maps to the car's navigation. Obviously, the SOS and whatever other BMW Assist functions would be lost, too. Again, I'm really hoping there's a class action lawsuit again. All the engineers at BMW can't find a solution? bullshi*. They don't want to. Easier to tell people to kick rocks.

When 2G sunsetted though, BMW gave those of us with time still left on our supposed BMW Assist subscriptions to either get a free upgrade of the equipment to 3G (at the time) so it would still work, I think $250 (or more) in credit to use towards BMW parts/accessories, or $150 or $250 in cash. I wonder if they might do the same here?
I don't remember a straight cash option. I seem to remember upgrade the 2G to 3G, money towards BMW accessories, or like $1000 of a new car price. I opted for the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 11:24 AM   #20
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

I don't even know how to quote the quote, but quick responses:

Polestar - I had 2016, so last year of the I6. There were no trims on the limited 2015s and 16s, you just pick your color. They came fully loaded with every option. Loved the turbo inline 6 + exhaust sound on that, was VERY bmw-esque. 2017+ they changed to a turbo + supercharged 4 cylinder that made more power, but didn't have the same sound or character. The transmission got heavily upgraded though as well from 2017 on to an aisin 8-speed instead of a prior 6-speed. I'm also not sure what the year of the newer model is that finally got the updated interior. The 2015 and 16's and their archaic interior/infotainment was completely outdated when it came out, let alone years later.

With that said, I haven't driven a newer polestar with the 4-cylinder.

Then, as far as the connected drive/bmw assist thing when 2G was shut down, it was pretty ridiculous. You still had to take your car into the dealer and sign some paperwork to get the $ which may have been some visa debit card or something, and then they just put a sticker over your SOS button. I don't think they did anything else. I only had like 1 year left on the BMW assist and was not going to pay the $99/yr to renew/continue it, so took the $.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:28 PM   #21
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't even know how to quote the quote, but quick responses:

Polestar - I had 2016, so last year of the I6. There were no trims on the limited 2015s and 16s, you just pick your color. They came fully loaded with every option. Loved the turbo inline 6 + exhaust sound on that, was VERY bmw-esque. 2017+ they changed to a turbo + supercharged 4 cylinder that made more power, but didn't have the same sound or character. The transmission got heavily upgraded though as well from 2017 on to an aisin 8-speed instead of a prior 6-speed. I'm also not sure what the year of the newer model is that finally got the updated interior. The 2015 and 16's and their archaic interior/infotainment was completely outdated when it came out, let alone years later.

With that said, I haven't driven a newer polestar with the 4-cylinder.

Then, as far as the connected drive/bmw assist thing when 2G was shut down, it was pretty ridiculous. You still had to take your car into the dealer and sign some paperwork to get the $ which may have been some visa debit card or something, and then they just put a sticker over your SOS button. I don't think they did anything else. I only had like 1 year left on the BMW assist and was not going to pay the $99/yr to renew/continue it, so took the $.

no worries on the quoting. I only did it because I was responding to a lot of messages. I immediately went towards newer one, just because of low mileage, etc. I can totally see the older ones and the archaic infotainment center. I thought the X1 was "bad", coming from a Genesis, but wow!

They are definitely appealing to me. I may have to go look for one. The one close to me is the modern 4 cyl. While I like the sound of the I6, finding a low mileage 2016 might not be feasible.

How was yours on the reliability front? any issues? How many miles were on it when you sold it?

Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for the info. Back when 2G went to 3G, I still have like 4 years remaining on my subscription, so I opted to get it "upgraded". Really, the biggest things for me are the theft detection and the cell phone app to unlock my car. I've used that quite a bit and I am going to miss it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:59 PM   #22
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Most expensive part of car ownership is depreciation, run the X1 until it is a risk of leaving you stranded and even then you could swap a wrecked engine in with lower miles.

Depreciation is the ultimate money pit.
Appreciate 0