05-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by todorove View Post
I was also expecting 25-26 in mixed use driving.
Why? I mean this seriously.

If it was the car dealer that made you believe you would get 25-26, he either lacked knowledge or honesty.
If the EPA window sheets don't call enough attention to actual usage varying, possibly quite substantially, and that the stated values are not to be used for planning, then EPA needs to redesign them.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport, 2016 M4

X1 S Drive 28i

On trips from Nashville to Knoxville I can get 34-35 MPG round trip by driving between 60-70 MPH.

Overall, I average around 25 because I do lead foot it every now and then.

I just installed the BMS Stage 1 and it does seem to have hurt mileage a little, even though they say it doesnt. But in the most recent tank, I averaged 29.5 with mixed (miostly highway) driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #25
Van1
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

The mileage on my 28i has improved recently. Spent the last month touring Germany during a visit from my wife and then from my mom and averaged 28mpg for both visits. This included mostly Autobahn driving at 85-90 mph in various elevations with some extended 100-110mph runs as well as some back road driving. Currently at 8500mi on the odometer. No doubt that I'll get closer to 30+mpg with the lame speed limits in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #26
1stone
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpin Weiss X1 X-Drive28i

on my 2013 28i, I averaged 8.1 l/100 kms (29.03 mpg), approx 40% city and 60% Hwy. 115 km/h average speed on the hwy, 56 kmh overall average speed based on Onboard info. ECOPRO all the way. This is an average for 2000 kms, after the vehicle's first 2000 kms. (averaged 9 l/100 kms on its 1st 2000 kms)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #27
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapman72 View Post
I just installed the BMS Stage 1 and it does seem to have hurt mileage a little, even though they say it doesnt. But in the most recent tank, I averaged 29.5 with mixed (miostly highway) driving.
BMS tune shouldn't affect mileage under normal driving but will of course affect it when utilizing the extra power (which is too tempting not to use).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #28
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

28i xDrive approaching 6,000 miles and mpg for the last 1,000 miles or so is now up to 28.1 mpg, and the overall average since new is at 25.4 with mostly highway driving. Actual figures, but the vehicle computer calculations are quite similar. Also interesting that the mpg has improved having started to use the a/c continuously.
Was underwhelmed with the mpg figures initially, but am happy with the improving trend.
Our other drive (X3 35i) is also more efficient and currently returning 26.4 mpg after 21,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #29
Salaman
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 28i

Break-In Milage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlancer View Post
Just got my X1 AWD a week ago and noticed the gas mileage was WAY below EPA #'s at 15.5 mpg. While I never expected to get EPA numbers I figured it would be a lot closer than that. Dealer tells me that mileage and power are not as good during break in. I think I read that somewhere else. Anyone else told that?
I concur with your dealer, my X1, also AWD, is just over 2 months new, carrying 3M total miles, recent trip of 1500 miles delivered 28 mpg, with A/C on and speeds into the mid 80's. I've seen mpg increases on a continuous level, hang in there. Of course, demonstrate good driving skills etc, you should get up there real soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #30
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

I swear my mileage has gotten worse over time. Xdrive 28i. 9,000 miles on it now. My last couple of tanks I'm barely hitting 20mpg. I was getting 24/25. I have gotten 33/34 on long flat highway trips so I know it's possible. But this 20mpg kind of sucks. Lol But it is finally nice weather here and I might be driving it differently. I have really stopped worrying about it so much when I'm driving and just drive. But I do reset the trip thing at each fillup so I notice it then. That's it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #31
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

xDrive28i, Driven for 9500+ mls for 8 months till now.

living in Atlanta metro area, combination daily consumption is around 23.7mpg, which was a long-term accumulated figure.

I did long-trip test for about 7 times roundtrip from Atlanta to Columbia,SC, which was 440 miles by 7 times. All way highway, I got
33.6mpg if cruise speed set at 60-65mph, and
31.3mpg if speed set at 70-80mph.
Also, if using cooling A/C, about .5mpg to 1mpg.(not tinted)

*All were without ASS or Eco Pro mode. BTW, I believe it's the ASS and/or Eco Pro in heavy traffic failed my Waste Actuator, BMW will replace the
whole turbo.....
I do use BP premium tier gas every time.
Highway-trip range is about 485mls per tank. Suck up the last drop? Add 20mls more.
Atlanta City-trip range is about 360mls per tank, no more, no less.

Last edited by heisalan; 06-04-2013 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #32
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisalan View Post
BTW, I believe it's the ASS and/or Eco Pro in heavy traffic failed my Waste Actuator, BMW will replace the
whole turbo.....
How so?
      06-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #33
annoyingmouse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 xdrive28i

The high school I went to prioritized state standardize testing, and excelled at it consistently earning high marks. Unfortunately these standardized tests did not reflect the real world needs of college and work force, and my peers and I paid the price for that.

CAFE and the EPA roller tests are the auto industry's equivalent to Texas's TEAMS, TAAS, TAKS, and STAAR. They do not reflect real world driving and the discrepancy will likely grow in the near future as companies strive to please CAFE. You can see similar complaints from drivers of hybrids and many other cars claiming high MPG.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #34
miataken
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1, White, Xenon, Leather

I've been complaining about my XDrive28i mileage since day 1 as I am only getting 21 mpg with my best behaviour and 50/50 city/hwy driving, in all weather, while everyone else is reporting better numbers. After months of observation, I found the main reason for my low mileage is mainly due to the large fuel consumption difference between dead stop start up and cruising, and not due to the speed that it's cruising. The large difference is likely due to the weight of the X1. As there is not a long "no red light, no slow down hwy" in my daily route, I don't expect to see any mileage improvement regardless of weather, unless I learn how to do a 0-30 in 20 sec.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #35
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataken View Post
I don't expect to see any mileage improvement regardless of weather, unless I learn how to do a 0-30 in 20 sec.
Don't worry so much about acceleration - getting up to speed quickly and then coasting doesn't use much more fuel than accelerating slowly.

What can save you fuel is braking earlier but lighter, so you roll towards a light and are still rolling while it turns green.
Another saver is to let the car slow down while you roll up a hill, and let it speed up when you roll down it. Trying to maintain an exact speed hurts in hilly terrain.

Yesterday, my wife and I went to a restaurant. I reset the trip counter before we went, and drove there. Average: 27 mpg. My wife drove back, and the total for the trip both ways ended up at 14 mpg.
She's not a more agressive driver than I am - rather the opposite. But she looks more at the speedometer, and looks less far ahead.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #36
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

4 cycle engines are more efficient with WOT and low rpm than partial opening and higher rpm, so if you short shift, but use lots of throttle, you'll see better mileage numbers than if you try to creep up on speeds while in lower gears.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #37
pbodifee
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Took delivery of our 2014 xDrive28i last saturday. Have only driven city stop/go and traffic lights (and hills) and doing 14 mpg. My wife is asking me every day 3x if this was the reason we traded in our X3 (which did 16 mpg in the same conditions).

Now I realize it is too early (we just used a little over 1/4 tank so far driving 100km) but I surely do hope the mileage can be improved. Any tips for city driving beside using ASS? How accurate is the actual fuel consumption gauge?

PS. The owner manual I was given states that the computer also can show current fuel consumption. However my car the computer only shows average fuel consumption. Am I missing something?

BTW if the 20d was offered here I would have picked it in a heartbeat.

Last edited by pbodifee; 06-06-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #38
miataken
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1, White, Xenon, Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Don't worry so much about acceleration - getting up to speed quickly and then coasting doesn't use much more fuel than accelerating slowly.

What can save you fuel is braking earlier but lighter, so you roll towards a light and are still rolling while it turns green.
Another saver is to let the car slow down while you roll up a hill, and let it speed up when you roll down it. Trying to maintain an exact speed hurts in hilly terrain.
Thanks Grovsnus. I totally. I used to drive a lighter car for 14 years and learning how to drive a heavy car "properly". I found myself braking a lot more often and later than optimum.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #39
dgkli
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 xDrive 28i MSport;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
4 cycle engines are more efficient with WOT and low rpm than partial opening and higher rpm, so if you short shift, but use lots of throttle, you'll see better mileage numbers than if you try to creep up on speeds while in lower gears.
Not sure that necessarily applies to our engines as that, as I understand it, is due to pumping losses with partially-opened throttles; our cars don't have throttles, controlling fuel rate with the vanos.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #40
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbodifee View Post
PS. The owner manual I was given states that the computer also can show current fuel consumption. However my car the computer only shows average fuel consumption. Am I missing something?
Hit the button of the top left stalk, and it the orange dashboard display will flip between (going by memory):

0: ECO Pro "Additional miles gained" - only when ECO PRO is on
1: Miles left until tank is empty
2: Average mpg
3: Average driving speed
4: Realtime mpg (as long as it's between 6 and 99 mpg)
5: Blank
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #41
pbodifee
Rep

Quote:
Hit the button of the top left stalk, and it the orange dashboard display will flip between (going by memory):

0: ECO Pro "Additional miles gained" - only when ECO PRO is on
1: Miles left until tank is empty
2: Average mpg
3: Average driving speed
4: Realtime mpg (as long as it's between 6 and 99 mpg)
5: Blank
And exactly the 4th display is not showing up. Maybe after all this commotion around actual fuel consumption BMW decided to take this off the computer display (I have MY 2014, the manual is dated 2012)?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #42
pbodifee
Rep

Quote:
Did some more city driving today and discovered that accelerating with a very light foot still uses a lot fuel (according to the fuel consumption gauge). I guess the old habit of controlling fuel flow with the foot is gone now we have drive by wire and motor management software.

So this basically means you have to get to your speed (25-30 mph) as quickly as possible (not revving beyond 2500 rpm), take off the foot and then apply very lightly. It seems that this is less fuel consumption then accelerating with light foot and let the AT shift at 1800 rpm. Now if traffic conditions would allow this.... most folks here in Vancouver downtown drive if they are transporting raw eggs.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #43
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
How so?
I was in a heavy traffic which made about 10 times on/off during a minute. I have no solid answers to how that might affect the actuator. I hope it has nothing to do current shock in the electric system.

ASS is not welcomed by the mass, so much so that BMW set current generation inactive until you start it. The dealer asked for $299 to recode my X1 for the same function, which I found somewhere online that it should be free of charge.....

Nice pics by the way
      06-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #44
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbodifee View Post
And exactly the 4th display is not showing up. Maybe after all this commotion around actual fuel consumption BMW decided to take this off the computer display (I have MY 2014, the manual is dated 2012)?
The 28i has an analog realtime MPG guage while the 35i has an oil temp guage. I'm guessing this is why the 35i has digital realtime MPG option and the 28i does not.

I am disappointed that the 28i has no oil temp guage whatsoever.
Appreciate 0