Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #45
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtrogus View Post
I had my combox replaced this week, 2 days at the dealer and I had a nice 340 xdrive loaner! Only bad part of the upgrade was that all of my coding and custom stuff was deleted or set back to defaults!
Even worse... alpina flash is gone!

I got to drive a 430i loaner. Not bad but electric steering is for the birds.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #46
Mjoylif
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive35i

I've had my 2015 X1 for over 2 years (and just 14,000 miles)....didn't know that I had BMW Assist until I received the notice in the mail today. Can anyone make a case for what I am missing? Sending maps to the car sounds cool...but does that require that I have a data package for the car? Otherwise, I'll take the cash or voucher....
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #47
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
Even worse... alpina flash is gone!

I got to drive a 430i loaner. Not bad but electric steering is for the birds.
I had all my coding completed again and one of the newer Alpina flashes... ahh back to normal!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 12:53 AM   #48
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Just to let others know custom coding will be lost if you opt in for the cash. Adding or removing a module will require new software on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 06:54 AM   #49
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
I still need to do my custom coding. Have a USB adapter, but would it be easier to learn the software or just get the carly adapter/app?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #50
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep

If you have the cable already don't need to invest more for carly. I always recommend using NCSDummy to produce nettodat.man and NCSExpert to download to the car. That way it's error proof.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #51
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
Just to let others know custom coding will be lost if you opt in for the cash. Adding or removing a module will require new software on the car.
Are you saying the ability to custom code will be lost without doing the retrofit or are you saying any custom coding that has been done will be lost when the software expires?

Since I do not have a NAV or iDrive in my X1 I am opting for the cash, but I have had custom programming done and would not want to lose any of that.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #52
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep

I tried to say that if you chose the option to receive cash bmw will need the car to disable the assist function and will update the car's software. That means any customisation to the car's software will be lost. The ability to code will remain intact.

If you chose not to send the car for assist to be disabled it may trigger error on the dashboard after January 2017.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #53
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
I tried to say that if you chose the option to receive cash bmw will need the car to disable the assist function and will update the car's software. That means any customisation to the car's software will be lost. The ability to code will remain intact.

If you chose not to send the car for assist to be disabled it may trigger error on the dashboard after January 2017.
Thank you. That is good to know.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #54
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

Yesterday I received a fancy postcard from BMW, thanking me for my continued loyalty...and now I drive one of their cars that is outfitted with a defective airbag that could kill me in an accident. And now they are forcing me to disable my SOS function that would have reported an accident? Way to go BMW. Loyalty? You lost that with this final blow to your safety systems...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #55
der_kommissar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Midnight Blue X1 xDrive28

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I had the retrofit done yesterday. Dealer was able to do it in one day because they had stockpiled the updated comboxes. Had to re-pair my phone afterwards, but other than that, everything seems fine. BMW online is faster now- not LTE fast, but faster. Pictures load with the news stories that I don't think I've seen before. Before the update, the online features were so slow that it was much easier to just check your phone. Now- still slower, but waiting is possible.

Also- the weather app on the BMW online has stopped working for me. Says the provider is unavailable. Has anyone else had this happen? Honestly this is the only useful BMW online app, so I'd really like to get it back.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #56
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominavl View Post
Yesterday I received a fancy postcard from BMW, thanking me for my continued loyalty...and now I drive one of their cars that is outfitted with a defective airbag that could kill me in an accident. And now they are forcing me to disable my SOS function that would have reported an accident? Way to go BMW. Loyalty? You lost that with this final blow to your safety systems...
Woah buddy, do you realize:
A - How many car manufacturers have airbag problems, it isn't just BMW and isn't even their fault
B - You don't have to disable your SOS functions, you have options to upgrade/replace the system or getting compensated for not doing so

Technology evolves, and older technologies have to be end of life'd for things to move forward. Having SOS in your car isn't even the primary function of a car:
-You buy a car to drive
-You buy a phone/cell phone to talk to people
The SOS in your car is a luxury - not a right - just like owning/driving a car is a privilege, not a right.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #57
der_kommissar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Midnight Blue X1 xDrive28

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanielvzw View Post
The SOS in your car is a luxury - not a right - just like owning/driving a car is a privilege, not a right.
I usually see at least one customer tantrum whenever I go to the dealer for service. Lots of entitlement in many BMW owners.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #58
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post
Also- the weather app on the BMW online has stopped working for me. Says the provider is unavailable. Has anyone else had this happen? Honestly this is the only useful BMW online app, so I'd really like to get it back.
I got that error message for a couple of things I tried. Weather was one of them. I honestly never used any of those apps because they were so slow but you are right, definitely faster now.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #59
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

BMW Assist and the SOS functions were not a luxury, they were selling features of the vehicle. I'm told that since my car was delivered in October, it is not eligible for the upgrade. The SOS feature was piece of mind for the driver and was included in a pricy option package. I have had the feature in all three of my cars and paid the subscription price to BMW when the complimentary period had expired. If BMW was telling owners that their Sirius radios would no longer work, what type of outrage would you be hearing?
      10-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #60
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep

All I can say is: My next car will NOT be a BMW. They chose to use inferior airbags and then have the nerve to cancel SOS? WTF! I may as well have purchased a crappy Kia. Who knew? You want loyalty? You gotta EARN it. It doesn't come cheap. And to mcdanielvzw...what kool-aid are you drinking?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #61
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominavl View Post
All I can say is: My next car will NOT be a BMW. They chose to use inferior airbags and then have the nerve to cancel SOS? WTF! I may as well have purchased a crappy Kia. Who knew? You want loyalty? You gotta EARN it. It doesn't come cheap. And to mcdanielvzw...what kool-aid are you drinking?
You don't even make logical sense (troll), which by the way is my kool aid of choice - Logic, and not some asinine rambling of a blithering idiot. They aren't canceling your service, they are getting rid of old tech and making you upgrade if you want to continue using it. Do you b**** moan and complain every time you need a new computer or phone because yours isn't supported anymore? You're complaining about old tech being replaced, meanwhile BMW does the bare minimum service to your car while it is their responsibility just to get you to 50k miles so you can trade it in for a new one - doesn't that sound like a more important problem?

This is my first BMW, and for all I know my only. I don't drive a car because of the brand, I drive it for the connection I have with it. Plymouth Acclaim, Mazda 626, Mazda 6, X1 - I'm not loyal to the brand, I'm loyal to my own inner judgement.

Takata airbags that are inferior..... I wonder how many others used them - Here I'll post a short list for you below, per Consumer reports (Hey, Kia isn't even on this list):

Acura
Lexus
Audi
Mazda
BMW
Mitsubishi (Registration req'd)
Chrysler (includes Dodge, Jeep)
Nissan
Ferrari
Scion
Ford
Subaru
General Motors (includes Pontiac, Saab)
Toyota
Honda
Volkswagen
Infiniti
Jaguar/Land Rover NHTSA VIN lookup tool

Car and Driver has an even bigger list.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive...cted-vehicles/
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #62
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rps View Post
BMW Assist and the SOS functions were not a luxury, they were selling features of the vehicle. I'm told that since my car was delivered in October, it is not eligible for the upgrade. The SOS feature was piece of mind for the driver and was included in a pricy option package. I have had the feature in all three of my cars and paid the subscription price to BMW when the complimentary period had expired. If BMW was telling owners that their Sirius radios would no longer work, what type of outrage would you be hearing?
I can't really argue with you on your first point, because while it was a selling point for you I pay my car insurance to serve the same function. I could still say it is luxury vs right, but if you need it you have to pay for the upgrade if it isn't covered. I won't say it's fair, as I've dealt with plenty of Software in IT that you have for 2-3 years and it's end of life'd so you have to pay for new software. Sucks but it's a fact of life that ultimately can't be changed unless you have a persuasive hand or boycott for someone else.

As for Sirius, I will say my personal opinion is own a smart phone and stream from one of the many free services that work anywhere there is cell service. I never paid to text when email/hangouts was included for free in a data plan (until it was covered by my job), and I don't pay for Sirius when I can use any number of streaming apps for free with my data service. I bought a bluetooth car kit for $25 bluetooth media service in my BMW Pro headunit.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 07:06 AM   #63
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep

[QUOTE=mcdanielvzw;20771484]You don't even make logical sense (troll), which by the way is my kool aid of choice - Logic, and not some asinine rambling of a blithering idiot. They aren't canceling your service, they are getting rid of old tech and making you upgrade if you want to continue using it. Do you b**** moan and complain every time you need a new computer or phone because yours isn't supported anymore? You're complaining about old tech being replaced, meanwhile BMW does the bare minimum service to your car while it is their responsibility just to get you to 50k miles so you can trade it in for a new one - doesn't that sound like a more important problem?

You don't need to call me a troll or a b****, that's just plain rude. I am not attempting to attack YOU. I am simply expressing my feelings about BMW pulling features from a fairly new car I paid a lot of $$$ for.

So keep your attitude to yourself. And stop the name-calling. It's childish. Enjoy the cool-aid.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #64
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I didn't call you a b****, I said do you - learn to read. If I'm childish for calling you a troll, then you're certainly childish and entitled for acting like nothing should ever change and companies should support every piece of hardware until they go under.

Again no one is pulling a feature, they are making you upgrade hardware to keep using it (and it doesn't even cost anything if your service is active through a certain date!). So stop being entitled and let technology advance. You complaining about something that isn't happening and being corrected not just once does make you a troll (or an imbecile, take your pick).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 08:46 AM   #65
Aerospike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 M135i

Gents,

Let's keep it civil before an admin shuts down this thread. It has good info and people will probably add more as more of us go thru the retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #66
Swampman
Swampman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40 - Glacier Silver

I concur, let's keep this thread informative. I am scheduled for combox upgrade November 9th. My Connect Services were good to 02/2018 and assist to 2025.
Only the Assist service showed up on the fancy BMW card notice. Looked at contract papers for the other date. It was possible to see these dates online before but not now? $199 per year is for expirations within or less than a year so we will test the waters on the 9th!
Appreciate 0