Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i

Is the iDrive system with 6.5" screen standard in Canada?

I'm trying to figure out whether the X1 in Canada comes with iDrive and a 6.5" screen as part of the Radio Professional, when you *don't* order the Navigation package (which otherwise comes with iDrive and an 8" screen).

Here's why I'm confused: If you use the Build Configurator on bmw.ca and you *do not* select the Navigation Package, you will see in the dynamic photo of the Dashboard (in the top-right corner of the configurator screen) that there is no iDrive Controller knob, and there is what looks like a storage compartment in place of the dashboard-mounted screen.
However, if you then proceed to the My BMW page in the configurator and click the Your BMW At A Glance link, you have the option to Print Configuration. Do this and select the Premium printout, then click OK, and a PDF document is opened in your browser. In this configuration summary of the standard and optional equipment there is a description of the standard BMW Radio Professional along with its "iDrive system with a 6.5" high resolution display".

I'd like to have iDrive, but I don't really have a need for the Nav package. Will I get iDrive standard anyway? Has anyone seen a Canadian X1 without Nav yet?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hmmm. I think that you just get a storage space if you don't order Nav. And that I Drive and Nav go together.
I believe that is what the rest of the world gets too. However, i'd double check with a dealer.

Where in Canada are you?
      04-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
rob325ci
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i

When I test drove one, the rep said that it would have a display screen if no nav was installed.
Somehow the steering column sticks would be used for interaction rather than an iDrive controller.
Not much detail and I have not seen on in real life.

I'm interested in how this may work as I will not be getting NAv and would still enjoy some sort of display.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob325ci View Post
When I test drove one, the rep said that it would have a display screen if no nav was installed.
Somehow the steering column sticks would be used for interaction rather than an iDrive controller.
Not much detail and I have not seen on in real life.

I'm interested in how this may work as I will not be getting NAv and would still enjoy some sort of display.
I asked a BMW salesperson yesterday about this and the answer is:

no Nav = no screen.

I'd ask the rep or someone else there the question again.

Last edited by DUH CAR; 04-19-2011 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
dmunozj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
no navigation system, no display screen. Nowhere in the world
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

The 'display' screen they mentioned is just the radio display. Like I ordered the USB and Bluetooth option and song names and contact names appear there.

It's right - no Satnav, no big screen, simple as that.
Appreciate 0