XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #133
flguy400
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
The car seems to hover between 24.0-24.5 mpg. Right now the trip computer has 2K rural/hwy miles since last reset with 24.2 mpg - about normal for me. A far cry from EPA 36 on the window sticker.

It's hills that kill the heavy X1. The car really seems to suffer when going up any hill. Even in ECO-pro mode, it is impossible to keep the car from pegging below the 12mpg needle up hills. I mean the car drops to 20mph in a 40mph zone up the hill on my daily commute unless you give full gas. I tried a few times to try to keep the needle at 15mpg, and the car drops to 10mph dogging up the hill at a 'sick car' creep, causing traffic behind me in an unsafe and unroadworthy manner. Pitiful.

The car has been a major disappointment in the mileage area. Multiple dealer visits shows the car "is operating normally." I should have gotten the kick butt 3.5 instead if I had known mileage would be this Chevy Suburban poor on a car that eats fuel far above what its much smaller size would suggest. A far cry from my 55mpg TDI with the same driver and driving style and on the same daily roads. If anything I drive the X1 much slower in eco-mode than the TDI where I would jump off every red light for fun. Big sigh.
It's not really fair to compare the X1 against a TDI. They are entirely different animals. Diesel is far more expensive than regular gas (at least in my area), which makes up a bit for the difference in mileage. Diesels will always get more mileage than gas automobiles due to the much higher compression ratio (i.e energy potential of the fuel).

I used to own a 2012 Jetta TDI with DSG transmission and I ended up getting rid of it. You used to have to do a transmission flush every 20k miles along with the oil change resulting in a $500+ service cost. Additionally, the TDI is prone to fuel pump failure which could potentially cost thousands of dollars in damage if it sends shrapnel down to the engine. I have heard numerous horror stories online of people that have had a fuel pump failure only to be accused of putting gasoline in the TDI even though they never have. Thats why I always kept my fuel receipts.

And if the DSG were to fail, which some have been known to fail at 100k miles, then your looking at a $5000.00 replacement cost.

The TDI may get good gas mileage, but it doesn't drive nearly as well as the X1 and the risk factor for things going wrong on the TDI and potential costs associated are way higher than the X1. I say this because of 2 things. #1 VW is a company known to have things go wrong with their vehicles. #2 Diesel vehicles are great in Europe, but not in the United States. The reason more manufacturers aren't bringing diesel vehicles to the U.S. is because strict regulations have caused diesel vehicles to not be reliable in the U.S. Ultra Low Sulfur diesel, which is required to be used in the U.S. has very low lubricity, resulting in higher engine wear. It is no longer possible to have diesel cars that get 1 million miles in the U.S. because the engines wear down much too quick. In Europe, they don't have to have ultra low sulfur diesel, so having a diesel vehicle there makes more sense.

If you really think a TDI is a great investment, go look at how many people get rid of their TDI's after their warranty expires. Those vehicles are too risky to hold onto.

Last edited by flguy400; 02-01-2015 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #134
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy400 View Post
If you really think a TDI is a great investment, go look at how many people get rid of their TDI's after their warranty expires. Those vehicles are too risky to hold onto.
As someone who kept my 55mpg 2001 manual Golf TDI until 2014 at nearly 200K miles when I sold it (with that driver still driving it), and it never have needed a single costly repair (replaced one back hatch struct, etc) - I disagree that VW is 'risky'. I also got 12 years and 200K miles from my 1987 VW GTI. I've always had great luck with my VWs - but they have always been manual cars.

I absolutely HATE the auto transmission in my X1 - it is slow with crazy big hesitations when pulling into traffic (swear will cause an accident some day), feels like it slips then pulling out hard, etc.

I recently went to the dealer with a host of flaky complaints about the X1 after only two short 'still new' years:
  1. radio presets being flaky and disappearing, and then coming back, and then disappearing again, repeat. Dealer: "We found nothing wrong"
  2. Car twice refusing to start in cold weather with message "Auto Start/Stop is disabled"??? Dealer: "We found nothing wrong"
  3. After 20K miles, still only get 22.5 mpg despite eco-mode. "Dealer: "We found nothing wrong"

Of course they give me some claptrap that it 'must' be the way I drive.

My experience with driving their loaner car further convinced me that it must have something to do with the X1 Msport. In the loaner 325 sedan, EcoPro actually did what I'd expected - it worked. On that car, EcoPro gives actual info on the display versus my blank screen - such as rating my driving style. I scored 4 out of 5 stars for both acceleration and anticipation, driving it exactly how I do my X1. Except on the 325, the mileage was better than 34mpg.

Same driver, same driving style - radically different results! If that doesn't tick one off....

I recently bought a manual Jetta Autobahn-trim GLI as another car in family. Unfortunately it is not my car. Why do I say unfortunate? Because I have loads more raw FUN driving that car than my X1. I am jealous of how the Jetta GLI drives - it has great road hugging feel, you DRIVE it via a MANUAL so you're actually connected to the drive experience, great throaty engine sound when you step on the gas, and great 32+ mpg mileage to boot - everything that is missing from my X1.

Me as a BMW X1 Msport driver being jealous of driving the VW Jetta GLI is not what one would expect, when the X1 easily cost 30% more. But there it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #135
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
Winter driving get 25-26 mpg. Warmer weather usually get 29-30 same driving patterns. Must be the winter gas...and maybe the car just doesnt warm up as much.
And more air resistance when it's cold out.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #136
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Your X1 experience doesn't sound anything like mine, but I have the s28i rear wheel drive.

My X1 absolutely screams anywhere, and I just got 28 mpg on a weekend roadtrip where I could pass bunches of 3 or 4 cars in a few second pass.

I take it to the track, and it's plenty there.

The driveability, smoothness, and quietness is excellent.

I wouldn't mind a diesel, but I only drive 7k or so miles a year, and mine has low end power like diesel.

I didn't want the X28i because just more weight and something to go wrong.

Sorry for your bad luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #137
NorcalMike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M sport

My 2014 X1 X28i M Line had 18k on it last week when I picked it up. It's averaged 23-24 mpg on mixed driving so far. Hopefully it does a little better on all highway driving. But if not I'm okay with it.
      06-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #138
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
Your X1 experience doesn't sound anything like mine, but I have the s28i rear wheel drive. I didn't want the X28i because just more weight and something to go wrong.
It did seem that in the forum here, that the rear wheel folks got much better mileage.

I went for the x-drive given the snow since they don't plow the rural roads to my house as often as the main roads. My former TDI was the lowest clearance car on my road (its only negative, on those rare days) so I would 'plow' more snow than the prior cars had cleared during their path. The X1 no longer drags its under-carriage in the snow (its biggest positive, on those rare days).

I should point out that the new Jetta GLI is also a gasser. I got tired of paying 30% higher for diesel in the US - a cheaper-to-make less-refined fuel - over gasoline. It smacks of oil industry cartel where they factored in the 30% more energy and mileage from gallon of diesel by then charging more for it. It drove me nuts paying more for less, every time at the pump. However I do miss its 800 miles between fillups. The X1 seems to go empty immediately and can't even make it the entire way on one roundtrip (only a ~3xx mile range).

This weekend I installed the roof rack and drove some boxes to Cape Cod... and the highway mileage was only 15mpg... but I'd discount that from all the drag from the roof rack.

It's just that my actual highway 21.5-23.5mpg is a far cry from the 36mpg EPA highway so heavily advertised by BMW when I bought this car. Frustrating. Feels like bait-n-switch. Surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit over these clearly inflated false claims of eco-friendly mileage. Can't see anyone getting 36mpg in this car.... ever.

Last edited by Teleskier; 06-02-2015 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #139
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

Hmmmm, my 35i is getting about 22 mpg in 90% city driving and with a 50/50 split I got 25.4 mpg for my last fill.

That was a 200 mile round trip on freewayish secondary roads plus the in town, so not even real freeway.

I have to say I am pretty happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #140
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I'm not sure even a hybrid Camry AVERAGES 36mpg.

I drove the piss out a Citroen C-2 turbo diesel in France once, and got 40mpg.

It only had power from 1500-3000 rpm, but was fun.

I was envious when I read a few years ago that Corvettes could get 27mpg on the hwy.

Well, I got 42 mpg on the hwy at 70 mph for 70 miles last month, and averaged 34.4 for the tank.

That Vette will beat me, but not by a bigger margin of fun.

Yeah, I admit the wind was 20mph behind me.

I was a Exxon fuel distributor and asked Exxon why diesel cost more than gasoline.....

They said: "The molecules are too valuable to waste in fuel".

In other words, diesel can be reworked into many petrochemical products.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #141
NorcalMike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M sport

I got almost 26 mpg out of my last tank with more highway driving.
      12-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #142
Sandhu
Rep
Drives: BMW x1 2015

ECO mode saved me a lot.
Appreciate 0