Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

08-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #23
FLX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by forteatwo View Post
rcw119: I guess what I would like to know is whether there indeed is an override for the 8-sp steptronic so the car can be put in neutral if it is disabled. Can anyone verify this?

When you think about it, just running out of gas or having a dead battery could put one in the same situation as you were in with no recourse for flatbedding the car.

I pulled the shifter boot on my S-Drive X1 and there was nothing in the housing that would suggest an override mechanism. Likewise the manual specifically states that Park can only be disengaged if the car is running and there is no reference to a manual override.

It would probably be of value for the readers to get a definitive answer on this.
+1 on this!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #24
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcw119 View Post
Picked up the new car tonight. Only the trim color was different and it had the upgraded radio. Higher MSRP but they gave me the same out the door price. The dealer did everything right. Interesting to see how they market the old car.
AWESOME!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #25
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

RCW: Congratulations on getting your new X1! The dealer really resolved everything quickly for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLX1 View Post
+1 on this!
I've been doing my own research on this matter. There has been quite a bit of discussion in some other forums. The X3 uses the same 8-speed transmission and electronic shift selector. I sent an email and left a vM to my salesman but haven't heard back, yet. This is what I've learned so far:

Scenario 1 - Your car is still getting some battery power, but not enough to start engine (i.e., motor still cranks) This is important because even if you are getting some battery power, the only way you can normally put the transmission in Neutral is if you can actually get the motor to turn on. This is a way to bypass it:

1. Depress brake pedal
2.press start stop button...engine won't start but will crank
3.press shifter release button on side of shifter and hold it
4. Move shifter forward one step-hold it there for 2 secs....exactly
5. Release side switch and repeat. N should be displayed in instrument panel...trans unlocks for 15 minutes (will need to remember to repeat if car needs to be rolled again.)

Again, don't run to your car now to try this if your engine starts fine. Apparently, it only works under certain conditions: low battery power, motor cranks.

Scenario 2 - Battery is completely dead/Computer Failure
Option 1 - If your X1 is RWD, the front wheels will roll (don't know if this also applies to AWD), call for BMW Assistance, AAA or any towing company. Make sure you ask for a flat-bed truck and to bring a dolly for the rear wheels. These dollies are used on many cars. The rear wheels should never EVER be forced to roll if you can't get the transmission into Neutral. By the way, the owner's manual say the car should never be towed. Only a flat bed truck can be used.

Option 2 - There is a manual way to get the transmission into Neutral. It is, however, a very technical procedure (See p. 13) that can only be done by a trained technician. It is highly doubtful that a towing company's agents are familiarized with it or willing to perform it. Apparently BMW dealers are very reluctant to send their own technicians to do this as their liability only covers them by work performed in their own garage. Someone reported that it took two BMW technicians one hour to do this manual release after literally begging a BMW dealership for help.

Please feel free to correct or add to the instructions above. Just hope we can all learn from RCW's experience.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 08-24-2013 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
FLX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

On the Bimmerfest forum there's a tale of substantial confusion, frustration, run-around, absolutely awful BMW handling of the situation, and general woe- not unlike this tale- as a result of transmission failure and inability to get an X3 into neutral.

After a huge run-around, he finally got two techs to his house, and here's his statement on what it took, once he had the right guys there- "Update: two very nice and professional tech guys came and it took one person to put it in neutral. He didnt even need a jack. Just slid under the driver side door removed the panel and took a wrench and done in less then 5 mins."

So it may not be as big a deal to manually get it into neutral as it is made out to be in the very helpful info linked above. I really hope BMW alerts every dealer service department that there is a procedure for this. It also sounds like BMW roadside assist doesn't know this can be done. Since this is such a completely incapacitating occurrence, with the prospect of immobilizing the vehicle in a dangerous place, and substantial collateral damage to other parts if it isn't properly handled, it's a huge issue, IMHO. You reading these blogs, BMW?

It would really, really be helpful for there to be a guide for the exact procedure for the manual operation (from start to finish, including what tools are needed, which panel comes off under the car, identification of which screw gets turned and how far, appropriate cautions, etc.) that could be printed out and kept in the car in case this ever happens to someone- I would make sure I have the necessary tools to do it and be prepared, if it comes to it, to do it myself. I would probably crawl under there in advance and paint the relevant screws with nail polish or something to mark them in case I had to do it in the rain or dark or had to walk a tow truck operator through it. Anybody have a connection that could help?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Just one question, how do you crawl under the X1 under the drivers door when its not jacked up and then actually be able to remove a panel and adjust something. Unless your 3' tall and weight 40 lbs I can't see any humans I know being able to do that.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #28
FLX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Just one question, how do you crawl under the X1 under the drivers door when its not jacked up and then actually be able to remove a panel and adjust something. Unless your 3' tall and weight 40 lbs I can't see any humans I know being able to do that.
I think the car in question is an X3, not an X1, but just saying that's what the owner wrote, so even if the car needs to be lifted, if its a 5 minute procedure it sure would be good if everybody who might need to tow one of these cars knew (a) that the procedure exists, and (b) how to do it, even if the car needs to be lifted to pull it off. It would sure beat having a tow truck guy just drag it up on to a flatbed with a cable...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #29
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Another big doubt is whether the X1's transmission will automatically switch to Neutral if the computer detects the car is being lifted (as in the case of being inadvertently towed.)? I have read that some BMWs have this transmission-protection feature but have not been able to find any confirmation if this also applies to the X1. RCW's experience being lifted onto the flat-bed makes me wonder.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #30
FLX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also would be good to know if there are different procedures for xDrive and sDrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #31
NormB
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post

Option 2 - There is a manual way to get the transmission into Neutral. It is, however, a very technical procedure (See p. 13) that can only be done by a trained technician.
Having looked at the document, manually putting the transmission into neutral seems straightforward, though a pain. I'd like to add the necessary tools to my "save-me-'cause-I-have-RFTs" bag that I always carry with me. Does anyone know if the "adjusting set screw" is bolt or an allen or torx? Size? What size are the bolts on whatever plastic cover blocks access to the transmission from below?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #32
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Went through this with my SA on Friday when I picked mine up. Page 57 I believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #33
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

Quote:
On the Bimmerfest forum there's a tale of substantial confusion, frustration, run-around, absolutely awful BMW handling of the situation, and general woe- not unlike this tale- as a result of transmission failure and inability to get an X3 into neutral.

After a huge run-around, he finally got two techs to his house, and here's his statement on what it took, once he had the right guys there- "Update: two very nice and professional tech guys came and it took one person to put it in neutral. He didnt even need a jack. Just slid under the driver side door removed the panel and took a wrench and done in less then 5 mins."

So it may not be as big a deal to manually get it into neutral as it is made out to be in the very helpful info linked above. I really hope BMW alerts every dealer service department that there is a procedure for this. It also sounds like BMW roadside assist doesn't know this can be done. Since this is such a completely incapacitating occurrence, with the prospect of immobilizing the vehicle in a dangerous place, and substantial collateral damage to other parts if it isn't properly handled, it's a huge issue, IMHO. You reading these blogs, BMW?

It would really, really be helpful for there to be a guide for the exact procedure for the manual operation (from start to finish, including what tools are needed, which panel comes off under the car, identification of which screw gets turned and how far, appropriate cautions, etc.) that could be printed out and kept in the car in case this ever happens to someone- I would make sure I have the necessary tools to do it and be prepared, if it comes to it, to do it myself. I would probably crawl under there in advance and paint the relevant screws with nail polish or something to mark them in case I had to do it in the rain or dark or had to walk a tow truck operator through it. Anybody have a connection that could help?
+1. Great points. This is essential information owners of these cars need to have.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #34
rcw119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F82 Sakhir Orange

The front wheels were rolling before they lifted the car at all. It is an xDrive model too.

Quote:
Another big doubt is whether the X1's transmission will automatically switch to Neutral if the computer detects the car is being lifted (as in the case of being inadvertently towed.)? I have read that some BMWs have this transmission-protection feature but have not been able to find any confirmation if this also applies to the X1. RCW's experience being lifted onto the flat-bed makes me wonder.
- 2008 E92 335i - 6MT - Sparkling Graphite (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #35
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcw119 View Post
The front wheels were rolling before they lifted the car at all. It is an xDrive model too.
Good, at least the front wheels will roll even on xDrives. The question is whether the transmission automatically disengages into N if the computer detects the car is being lifted from the front. This is important because if anyone ever gets inadvertently towed away in the city (e.g., parking infraction), the tow truck will most likely lift your car from the front causing serious damage if the transmission doesn't automatically release somehow.

BTW, on the first attempt using the winch which resulted in tow cables snapping, how did they lift the rear section?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #36
rcw119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F82 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
BTW, on the first attempt using the winch which resulted in tow cables snapping, how did they lift the rear section?
They didn't...hence the snapped tow cable. Just a little oil under the tires and slowly dragged it.

Did I say I was happy to be out of that car?!?
- 2008 E92 335i - 6MT - Sparkling Graphite (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #37
NormB
Rep

Some progress

RealOEM shows the screw that forces the transmission into manual.

It is part 24507588756, which is a "Fillister-head screw, micro-encapsulated". Translation: a bolt with a single blade screw slot in it. You need a big screwdriver to turn it.

Still need to find out what kinds of bolts affix the plastic cover under the transmission...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #38
FLX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Good info. Maybe a socket with a screwdriver attachment would be easier underneath in tight quarters, if there's room to swing the handle. And I wonder if one just turns the thing until it hits the stop/runs out of thread, or if there is some specific range for the thing. When my car gets here, I plan to see if I can get information out of the service department on this before I leave the dealership...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #39
NormB
Rep

Quote:
Good info. Maybe a socket with a screwdriver attachment would be easier underneath in tight quarters, if there's room to swing the handle. And I wonder if one just turns the thing until it hits the stop/runs out of thread, or if there is some specific range for the thing. When my car gets here, I plan to see if I can get information out of the service department on this before I leave the dealership...
Wouldn't it have been considerate of BMW to have put a circular cutout in the plastic pan below the transmission and then plugged the hole with a little removable cap?

I suppose one could do that oneself, although lining up where to put the cutout could be a little tricky.

I'm thinking that the bolt in question probably is 'glued' in, as there isn't a lock nut. That means a screwdriver bit on a ratchet would probably be necessary to break it free, as opposed to just a screwdriver.
Appreciate 0