El loco
Rep
Drives: E46 325i

Smile about X1 sDrive 18i

hi to everyone in here
i just joined this forum yesterday

my name is andre and i'm from indonesia
i want to ask several question regarding the x1 18i:

My family considered to buy a new x1 s18i auto since the car itself had just been assembled here so the price is a bit a cheaper and u got better specs than before (before was imported)

1. So it's the car worthed to buy? the thing that i dislike is the 2.0 petrol engine, i tried it before and i feel the engine is powerless and the torque itself is weak (now i'm using a 325i e46 btw)

2. how about the diesel (s20d) version? it is better than the s18i) actually fyi in here there's only 2 version of x1, s18i and s20d. but unfortunately the s20d its still imported so it's much expensive

the price of a new x1 s18i in here is around 64.000 usd and the diesel vers is around 80.000 usd
and i'm thinking to replace my e46 with the x1, any opinion guys?

Sorry before if my english is poor

finally thanks for the response and the opinion
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

El Loco - I have the sDrive 18i - and if you regularly carry passengers, then avoid - like the plague. Sad but true.

Just remember to stretch the diesel's legs now and then.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i SPORT

I also have the sDrive 18i - it really depends on your driving style. If you want an SUV with sports car performance then avoid. If you like the looks, space and the prestige of a BMW and dont care too much about the performance, then i would say its adequate. Hong Kong is quite hilly, and some smaller cars struggle with the hills, but the 18i manages fine...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
El loco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
El Loco - I have the sDrive 18i - and if you regularly carry passengers, then avoid - like the plague. Sad but true.

Just remember to stretch the diesel's legs now and then.
i seldom carry full passengers mostly only one or two. yup, the 18i torque it's quite low for car as heavy as X1.

diesel is an interesting choice, how about the fuel consumption of these 2 engines?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
El loco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_378 View Post
I also have the sDrive 18i - it really depends on your driving style. If you want an SUV with sports car performance then avoid. If you like the looks, space and the prestige of a BMW and dont care too much about the performance, then i would say its adequate. Hong Kong is quite hilly, and some smaller cars struggle with the hills, but the 18i manages fine...
noted. i mostly only use the car in the city for daily basis actually.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

The 18i is in reality the wrong engine for X1. The 2.0 NA engine is just too weak for most cars in the BMW range. Which is why they are replacing it with a 2.0 turbo.

I have the sdrive20d. Plenty of torque and more than enough for day to day use. And because the torque is abundant there is no need to work the engine hard which means fuel consumption benefits. There is plenty of posts in this forum about the 18i's horrible fuel consumption.

The only drawback with the diesel is that at idle, say sitting at traffic lights, the engine is slightly noisy. Best way to decide is to test drive both cars and see which one fits your need best. If you are spending a good deal of money to buy a BMW you might as well get the one with a bit more power. Having an underpowered car is a pain that will never go away until you sell the thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
El loco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctg View Post
The 18i is in reality the wrong engine for X1. The 2.0 NA engine is just too weak for most cars in the BMW range. Which is why they are replacing it with a 2.0 turbo.

I have the sdrive20d. Plenty of torque and more than enough for day to day use. And because the torque is abundant there is no need to work the engine hard which means fuel consumption benefits. There is plenty of posts in this forum about the 18i's horrible fuel consumption.

The only drawback with the diesel is that at idle, say sitting at traffic lights, the engine is slightly noisy. Best way to decide is to test drive both cars and see which one fits your need best. If you are spending a good deal of money to buy a BMW you might as well get the one with a bit more power. Having an underpowered car is a pain that will never go away until you sell the thing.
agree. i already test drive both version, the diesel performance is much2 better than the petrol. but the price difference is way to much (around 15000 usd)

in petrol also there's wood panels and nevada leather, as in diesel only sensatec. but the diesel got the x line package and sports steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep

After 3,000 km of driving my average (18i) is about 12.5lt/100km... All city driving averaging around 28km/hr. If you're driving is going to be mostly city.. i cant see it getting much better than that. That said, by buying the diesel at an extra 15000US its going to take a lot of km's before you start gaining the benefits of the lower fuel consumption.. The extra performance maye be worth it though. All the best with your choice!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep

BTW, had the diesel option been available in HK, i would have gone for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El loco View Post
agree. i already test drive both version, the diesel performance is much2 better than the petrol. but the price difference is way to much (around 15000 usd)

in petrol also there's wood panels and nevada leather, as in diesel only sensatec. but the diesel got the x line package and sports steering wheel
15k is quite a big difference. But will you get much of it back when you resell in say 4 years time?

Btw get the sports steering wheel regardless of which one you end up going with. You won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep

Although diesels nearly always return higher prices when you trade in, keep in mind that your resale really depends on what the 2nd hand market is like in Indonesia.

Unlike Melbourne where a four year old car can cost almost the same as a new car in Hong Kong, a four year old car in HK with anything over 60,000km (diesel or petrol) is an unwanted item fullstop.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My car is expected to retain over 65% of value after three years. I wouldn't say it cost almost as much as new. Like you said it really depends on the market. HK is quite peculiar. I know Malaysia can be like that as well, but mostly for premium brands. Indonesia could be similar.

Which is why I asked the question.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
El loco
Rep

Quote:
After 3,000 km of driving my average (18i) is about 12.5lt/100km... All city driving averaging around 28km/hr. If you're driving is going to be mostly city.. i cant see it getting much better than that. That said, by buying the diesel at an extra 15000US its going to take a lot of km's before you start gaining the benefits of the lower fuel consumption.. The extra performance maye be worth it though. All the best with your choice!
Quote:
BTW, had the diesel option been available in HK, i would have gone for that.
true that, diesel performance and fuel consumption is much better than petrol. even me who use 325i is amazed with the torque of the diesel engine has. but i think for city use petrol is more than enough. the price difference it's just not worthed
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
El loco
Rep

Quote:
15k is quite a big difference. But will you get much of it back when you resell in say 4 years time?

Btw get the sports steering wheel regardless of which one you end up going with. You won't regret it.
Quote:
My car is expected to retain over 65% of value after three years. I wouldn't say it cost almost as much as new. Like you said it really depends on the market. HK is quite peculiar. I know Malaysia can be like that as well, but mostly for premium brands. Indonesia could be similar.

Which is why I asked the question.
nope, the used 2010 diesel price is almost the same as a new petrol version. the diesel vers is just not yet popular here in indonesia, because of the poor quality of the diesel and the image of the old diesel (noisy, no power)

sadly the sport steering wheel is only available in diesel. i know it's really nice to have it
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #15
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep

jctg,

Peculiar is a nice word for the 2nd hand market here. I would say its crazy!
BTW, i envy your expected resale.. i can only dream of that here.

El loco, im not sure what traffic is like where you live, but if its anything like HK, yes i agree the petrol version is enough. That said, there are moments i wish i had the diesel or the 3.0 petrol...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #16
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
sadly the sport steering wheel is only available in diesel. i know it's really nice to have it
Yes, the sport steering wheel is a MUST HAVE! Are you sure you cannot get that added as an option?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #17
technostar
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
hi to everyone in here
i just joined this forum yesterday

my name is andre and i'm from indonesia
i want to ask several question regarding the x1 18i:

My family considered to buy a new x1 s18i auto since the car itself had just been assembled here so the price is a bit a cheaper and u got better specs than before (before was imported)

1. So it's the car worthed to buy? the thing that i dislike is the 2.0 petrol engine, i tried it before and i feel the engine is powerless and the torque itself is weak (now i'm using a 325i e46 btw)

2. how about the diesel (s20d) version? it is better than the s18i) actually fyi in here there's only 2 version of x1, s18i and s20d. but unfortunately the s20d its still imported so it's much expensive

the price of a new x1 s18i in here is around 64.000 usd and the diesel vers is around 80.000 usd
and i'm thinking to replace my e46 with the x1, any opinion guys?

Sorry before if my english is poor

finally thanks for the response and the opinion
so you bought the 18i?
how is it? is it nice..
planning to buy one but still thinking of the fuel economy and the resale value..
found the diesel version less than 1 year old and already had around 19% of depreciation
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 03:52 AM   #18
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Get the 20i instead, same engine as the 28i but downtuned and cheaper.
Lots of torque, more than enough to carry 4 adults and a very nice sound from the exhaust
We get about 8l/100KM with less than 800 km on the odo, so it should drop later on.
Appreciate 0