XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

xdrive28i questions

Got a loaded VO xdrive28i as a loaner today. I must say, I'm impressed with this vehicle! The steering is really nice and the darn thing is quick! Couple of questions/comments
1. The brakes...seem to work fine, but they don't modulate. So as you slow to a stop and need a bit more pedal pressure during the last 10-15 feet, you REALLY need to push down on the brake pedal to get some extra stopping power. Never felt a BMW quite like this. Normal?
2. The start/stop is off. I keep getting a message about it. The button shows it to be on and if you turn it off and then turn it back on, the warning comes up on the dash again (Start Stop with a slash through it). What's the deal with that?
3. Does the comfort access only work on the two front doors?

In short, like I said, WOW. Nice vehicle. My wife who drives a Clubman S as her fun car said she would consider it if it came with a stick. I just can't get used to the brakes (and I hate the way they did the rear window defroster), but other than that.... WOW.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

It's a fun car, right?

I have not personally noticed any issues with brake modulation. I don't recall reading any complaints on here, either.

You're in Chicago? The start/stop system was probably temporarily disabled because of the outside temps. It automatically deactivates when it's cold.

The comfort access sensors only work on the front doors and hatch. There are no prox sensors in the rear door handles.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
MSportX1
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
1. The brakes...seem to work fine, but they don't modulate. So as you slow to a stop and need a bit more pedal pressure during the last 10-15 feet, you REALLY need to push down on the brake pedal to get some extra stopping power. Never felt a BMW quite like this. Normal?
Yes, I have the same feeling about the brake that I "need to give a bit more pedal pressure during the last 10-15 feet". It seems the brake is normal for X1, because fewer owners complain it. But, some auto reviews did mention that the 60-0 brake distance is a little bit longer for X1, comparing with other cars.

Last edited by MSportX1; 02-16-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
der_kommissar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Midnight Blue X1 xDrive28

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
With the x1 loaner I had, I thought start/stop was disabled when I had the seat heaters on.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
RonPalmCoast
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1

I have a 2013 BMW X1 sDrive28i ; When accelerating I experience a "noise" that fads once one gets to 40mph+
Ron
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post
With the x1 loaner I had, I thought start/stop was disabled when I had the seat heaters on.
I believe the manual says the stop/start is disabled when the outside temperature is below 37F. I've noticed it won't come on until it's really 40 according to my car. The seat heaters won't affect it either way.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocGuy View Post
I believe the manual says the stop/start is disabled when the outside temperature is below 37F. I've noticed it won't come on until it's really 40 according to my car. The seat heaters won't affect it either way.
Interesting. I swear the 5-series loaners I've had go to start/stop under that temp. I could be wrong.

So as noted, I drive an X6 50i as a DD. This X1 is much more "fun" to drive (as it should be since it weighs less), but man, you get used to some of the niceties of the larger (more $$) vehicles. For instance, only having CA on the front doors annoys the crap out of me (Have kids and I'm normally putting them in first). The lack of a heated steering wheel should be criminal (ok, I'm a wimp, but Chicago is cold dammit), and my god, I have to close the hatch manually? Jeez (j/k).

The 2.0 4cyl in this vehicles feels (and sounds) so much better than it did in my 528 loaners - at least from my memory. And this X1 scoots! The steering (mine has servotronic) is has a perfect feel - perfect although I think it would be better with the variable sport option of the 3-series.

Last but not least, the brakes, that would be the ultimate deal breaker for me - I can't stand them (for that last 10-15 feet). Probably would get used to it, but I'm on day 4 and still notice it everytime I stop.

Still, this car rocks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocGuy View Post
Not entirely true. When ASS is engaged and your accessories are on (lights, seat heaters, stereo, etc) they're all drawing power from the battery. There has to be enough juice left in the battery for the car to restart. So if the system detects there's not enough power in the battery, then ASS is disabled.

When the outside temp is very low, then ASS is disabled, but if the car has been driven awhile, then ASS does work. Probably has to do with the physical temperature of the battery, when the car has been sitting awhile. I've driven around in the 20s and ASS kicks in.

Vince
Appreciate 0