XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-23-2016, 06:46 AM   #1
digirebel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nav/Backup Camera/iDrive worth it?

Hi. New to the forum. I'm in the market for an E84 X1 and wondering your experiences with the Nav/iDrive system on this car. It's possible to buy this car without the system and I'm wondering if I might be better off without it when buying a used one. My wife's X5 has the iDrive system in it and we've had a few issues during warranty and out of warranty costing us quite a bit.

I do like the backup camera, but I don't care about the Nav. Not a fan of built in NAV systems. Seems I can save a bit of money on the purchase price without it and with less electronics in the car, possibly save repair costs down the line. Is there something I'm not seeing that I may miss if I don't get it with the system?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

The factory backup camera requires iDrive/NAV, as it uses the same screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

If you're going to listen to MP3's on a flash drive then I would really recommend the system. My last car didn't have it and it was brutal to find the right song.

That said there are lots of after market options (mostly Chinese no name) that are far cheaper. But of course the quality is significantly lower as well.

I'm happy to have iDrive and I use it all the time

Edit: keep in mind that if your previous car had the CCC system then that might have been the cause of many of your issues. The X1 comes with the slightly newer CIC which is much better.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

I have come to find that the backup camera is well worth it. Not a need to have but a very nice to have. We rarely use the navigation but when we did in Europe it was great.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Depends on your priorities. I feel for BMW's iDrive completes the package much like the Xenon Corona rings.

Backup camera & PDC on the iDrive screen is very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

My experiences are with post 2013 idrive.. I feel it is completely worth it for the Bmw apps, send to car, smartphone integration and of course parking assist.

Definitely good to get, as are xenons.

I had half the package in my f80 (Idrive and apps but not backup camera) and admittedly did miss the camera
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #7
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 WRX & 2013 X1

I went though this same thought process when I bought my X1 and decided to skip the Idrive. I do not need the navigation as I use my phone and I don't need the backup camera because I have been driving just fine without one for 31 years. I really think backup cameras make us worse drivers since we become dependent on them and don't pay enough attention to our surroundings.

The only reason I wish I had it is for the music control. Scrolling three lines of text while searching the thumb drive sucks. But I ultimately decided it was not worth the cost since I can always plug the phone in. Still not sure about that decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

I have iDrive with PA but no BUC and I wish I had one. the statement above saying that it makes people worse drivers baffles me.

my truck has a BUC and I love to use it. it has made my wife more aware and she can park better than she ever has with it, she can't even park the X1 as well as she parks my truck.

the Nav with CIC is good but sometimes it's confusing and you have to be really specific for a destination. I tried to get to a mountain resort yesterday for boarding and it couldn't find it. Google maps has no issue.

that's the only thing I don't like about it, but for me it's all worth having.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

I can see how the camera could make us worse drivers if you start blindly following it and not thinking about where the rest of the car is. But it does make parking easier and backing out of a blind driveway or parking spot gives you a better view.

That said, I only have PFC and am perfectly fine with it. I have considered getting one of those $50 back up camera units off of eBay though.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
x1GTA
Rep
Drives: 2012 x1

I am happy not to have iDrive or backup camera.
The NAV system is very inferior to what you get on a smartphone - traffic, maps etc.
The backup camera - nice to have - easy after-market addon.

To get the OEM backup camera, you must have iDrive; However if you have iDrive, you don't necessarily have the backup camera. (The Backup camera was a very rare option in 2012/2013).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 02:51 PM   #11
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep

FYI the government is mandating new cars to have backup cameras as standard. Not having one now may hurt future resale. Are people that bad in parking nowadays? Do they still test parallel parking?!

Well like leather seats, sport seats, xenons, sunroof, heated seats/steering, ConnectedDrive etc are all options. You really don't need to have it. OP if you can swing for it, get it. Else move on. Maybe put the savings toward some high yield stock or water pump repair fund.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #12
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

I have iDrive/NAV but no backup camera. I wouldn't mind having it, but don't lose any sleep over the fact that I don't.

Personally I haven't seen much need for one as the X1 is really pretty easy to see out of.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #13
digirebel
Rep

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Seems like from everyone's experince, the newer iDrive systems are more reliable than the older systems. I've had an older E90 without iDrive for a long time and to be honest, don't really mind not having iDrive, so that may be the way I'm leaning. Glad to hear that without it, I'm not missing too much, but won't be a cause of money problems if I do get and E84 with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #14
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
I have iDrive with PA but no BUC and I wish I had one. the statement above saying that it makes people worse drivers baffles me.

my truck has a BUC and I love to use it. it has made my wife more aware and she can park better than she ever has with it, she can't even park the X1 as well as she parks my truck.
I have witnessed people in parking lots backing up and looking only at their dash, obviously at the BUC. They don't pay attention to the car driving down the aisle or the pedestrian approaching but who is not n camera range yet.

With a truck the size of a F150 or larger, it is a different situation. Most SUVs don't need them until you are at a similar size. And even with large vehicles, if people pay attention to their surroundings and know the vehicle, you can do without. I have driven my buddies F250 crew cab, without a BUC, a number of times and have never had an issue.

Sorry, I just feel that we as a society are becoming too dependent on technology. With Auto braking when we get too close to someone, sensors to tell us we are leaving our lane, and BUCs, young drivers are not going to have good driving skills, even with those crutches. End grumpy old man rant. And get off my lawn.

Last edited by Mtpisgah; 12-28-2016 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtpisgah View Post
young drivers are not going to have good driving skills, even with those crutches. End grumpy old man rant. And get off my lawn.
On the other hand, its not like everyone who learned how to drive in the era of carbureted V8s, manual transmissions, manual steering, and zero drive aids turned out to be a track star

I like "analog" fun cars as much as the next person but I think the ideal is for these aids to get better to the point of full autonomous driving, with the option of self driving for fun
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #16
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep

Nick, I agree that we are moving toward autonomous driving cars and the Feds are leading the way via regulations. What happens when you "drive" your autonomous car around town and then decide to actually DRIVE to the mountains for the weekend. Most people would not know how to do it safely.

I also agree that some people who grew up driving in the old days is good, but they are probably more aware of their surroundings than those learning to drive new cars now.

And some people just do not have common sense. Today a friend posted a picture of his wife driving back from Christmas vacation with two dogs and a cat in her lap, along with the huge pillow they sit on. There is no way it is safe and I have told him that before. And he works for an auto manufacturer.

Last edited by Mtpisgah; 12-28-2016 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Sorry for hijacking your thread digirebel.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Hopefully a road test will be needed before the "diy option" is activated !

Those people will be clueless no matter what...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #18
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

It could also just be a case of grass being greener on the "older" side... There were bad drivers before and there will be bad drivers on the future. For people who have no interest in the actual driving experience and only want the transportation, the autonomous driving car will be a godsend.

+1 for having to take a test or course or something to self drive the autonomous cars. Maybe make it a separate license class.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #19
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep

It would be interesting when a self driven car and an automated car collide. I think we digressing.
Back on topic, i used the iDrive yesterday to play a DVD movie for my kids while waiting for my wife. Works only while stationary. Worked for good with the hi-fi surround.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #20
MajorTranq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i

It's my hunch the price difference between I-drive or not is negligible on a used Bimmer. I wanted mine fully loaded and don't regret it. The rear view camera and parking distance sensors give me the confidence to park in spots I might otherwise avoid.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #21
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I had my X1 built since I couldn't find a N55 w/ M-Sport pkg anywhere < 6hrs away and I debated the value of having nav/backup cam/iDrive. All I really wanted was the backup camera. In the end, I got all 3 and haven't regretted it. I am not a massive user of iDrive but it is handy having it when I do need/want it.
      01-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #22
digirebel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTranq View Post
It's my hunch the price difference between I-drive or not is negligible on a used Bimmer. I wanted mine fully loaded and don't regret it. The rear view camera and parking distance sensors give me the confidence to park in spots I might otherwise avoid.
True. The price difference isn't a deal killer. My concern was is the reliability of the system and cost to repair as I've had to do with older systems. It seems people that have them have not seen the problems I've had, which is a good thing in my mind.
Appreciate 0