Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

10-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
BeemerBoy48
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi Exec Edition Space grey

328i to X1 28i xdrive

I'm just about to trade in my 2007 328i for a 2012 X1 28i xdrive. Am I nuts for not getting a 328xi instead? Any Canadians here unhappy with their X1 purchase?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
BeemerBoy48
Canada
Rep

Just saw Taxbusters thread just after posting this duh! Unless anyone else has words of wisdom - there is enough there to convince me that there are no significant problems and as I'm looking for cargo space and economy - I'm think I'm doing the right thing
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

are you attached to the creamy inline 6?... i've read some postings that the N20, though powerful, is not smooth sounding. it's very subjective though.

if it doesn't matter, then you have your answer
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
WiredRacing
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 28i

Depends on what you're looking for.

I have no complaints and am pleased we bought this over a 328xi touring (which we did test drive in both auto and manual).

Taxbusters criticisms do not mirror mine in any way.

The 8AT is about as good as it gets. The shifts are very fast for a torque converter.

For living in a populous area, it's ideal. I do not like Automatics, but it's nice to flip it over into D mode when the task at hand is a monotonous one (traffic, errand running, etc) or pull it in when you want more response or hit the paddles when you really want to go. I do miss having a stick there but not enough to complain given the cars average day-to-day purpose.

I don't know how he's driving it to get it to oversteer. I've driven one in an AutoX with DSC full off and it doesn't do that.

The spools up quick and the thing goes. Just as quick if not quicker than the <=328. My mostly city driving with a heavy footed wife is 11.0l/100km right now. Much higher than I was hoping for, but still lower than a Civic Si!

But it does sound like a diesel when you turn it on (direct injection I guess).. but that goes away or you don't notice it in day to day driving. The panoramic roof is great, lots of glass in there, lots of light coming in, feels spacious. It's sort of the best of a lot of worlds. I got to do a little "offroading" with it down in Niagara On the Lake with a road that stopped paving and was just dirt and holes (unassumed). Car handled it great, something I wouldn't have been able to do in a regular "car".

Look at an X1 next to a Fit, or Mazda 3 hatch, or a Venza and it's basically the same size or smaller looking. It's not a truck, it's just the X3/X5 line put that in your head. It drives very much like a car. A good car.

If I were single, I'd probably have something like a 335 (oh who am I kidding, I'd actually be driving a GT-R. but the point is if I had no kid to cart around, no need for back seat use on a regular basis, 1 car to fuel up, I'd own a car-car. Kid, Errands, 3 passengers+1child a common occurrence and this is a great choice, I was going to say sacrifice, but it just doesn't really feel like one. No complaints, really. I was surprised when I test drove it how much fun it was, and when I want to have fun, it doesn't disappoint me.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBoy48 View Post
I'm just about to trade in my 2007 328i for a 2012 X1 28i xdrive. Am I nuts for not getting a 328xi instead? Any Canadians here unhappy with their X1 purchase?
You'll be fine. Please take it out for a test drive 'tho.
      10-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
BeemerBoy48
Canada
Rep

Thanks for everyone's comments - bought my X1 28i yesterday with Premium Pkg, Lighting Pkg and Park Distance Control. Should take delivery on Monday
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBoy48 View Post
Thanks for everyone's comments - bought my X1 28i yesterday with Premium Pkg, Lighting Pkg and Park Distance Control. Should take delivery on Monday
Congrats!! Let us have your first impressions next week.