XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

08-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #23
Ann
Rep
Drives: currently not BMW

I am currently looking at a Cashmere Silver with beige leather interior. Is this a safe colour? My husband drives black BMW and son has black Audi and they think I am nuts for wanting the Cashmere Silver. I want a car that does not show as much dirt in Canadian winters and does not show the little nicks and scratches. Have always gone for silver cars as a result - anyone have a Cashmere silver - what do you think.

Last edited by Ann; 08-29-2011 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #24
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

I have a Cashmere Silver X1 and get a lot of positive comments about the colour. Like you, I've always liked silver cars because they seem to look cleaner. The goldish tint in the Cashmere Silver adds a touch of class. I've posted some photos, but let be know if you'd like something specific.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #25
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I am currently looking at a Cashmere Silver with beige leather interior. Is this a safe colour? My husband drives black BMW and son has black Audi and they think I am nuts for wanting the Cashmere Silver. I want a car that does not show as much dirt in Canadian winters and does not show the little nicks and scratches. Have always gone for silver cars as a result - anyone have a Cashmere silver - what do you think.
I agree with you. All your points are valid.

Wife wanted Deep Sea Blue, but I would have chosen Cash Silver if it was my X1.
      08-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #26
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
I am currently looking at a Cashmere Silver with beige leather interior. Is this a safe colour?
A safe color? IMHO, it's a highly dangerous combination and would cause unsuspecting drivers to crash into you since they could not believe that someone would actually spec out a BMW with that color combo. Please keep the roads safe for the masses and select something more appropriate for our public roadways.

Seriously, the BMW design team spends countless hours selecting colors and combos that they decide look best. OTOH, I never value anyone's opinion if they're not paying for it. I choose what looks pleasing to my eye and suggest you do the same since you'll be the one living with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #27
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
Quote:
I am currently looking at a Cashmere Silver with beige leather interior. Is this a safe colour?
I had always thought that black was a safe color?

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #28
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT, 2012 X1 28i

My wife's X1 is black sapphire and black interior - the same as my 5 Series GT. When clean, I don't think there is a nicer colour. I use car dusters to keep our vehicles looking their best between washes - a quick 5 minute wipedown each morning (assuming there is only dust and not accumulated dirt) and they look like they just left the showroom - and the dusters cause no scratches whatsoever. So black would be my suggestion. Also, my wife likes to garden (being British!) and is constantly transporting bags of dirt, mulch, plants, bushes etc in the X1 (it's enough to give someone like me who tries to keep his vehicles spotless a heart attack!), so the black interior was a very wise choice - can't imagine what the interior would look like if we had chosen a lighter colour (even with all the extra mats and blankets I keep in the back of her vehicle)!!! Good luck with your choice - lots of great suggestions in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #29
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

[QUOTE=LRS;7690524]Colour is such a subjective thing and trying to choose something that you really like, yet is safe for resale at the same time is not easy.
[*]The Silver and grey look a bit old fashioned and a little frumpy now on the car (sorry, personal opinion only)

Frumpy it is then
Attached Images

Last edited by Mulberry; 02-20-2012 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 03:10 AM   #30
Remlaw Silo
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

In a previous thread there is a poll on car colours and the winner by a country mile was alpine white for an X1 followed by (I think) black in second place. All of the other colours were much much less popular! If someone can locate the thread it would be worth having another look at it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #31
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive23d

I wanted the space grey but was vetoed by me partner who wanted the lighter titanium silver. I personally think the space grey looks fab. It's really just dark silver so if silver is popular, I fail to see why the space grey wouldn't be. I think it really looks smart.

Our last car was black and I'd never get another black car. I think they look fantastic - for half a day after you've washed it - and then they just look filthy. After about three years of washing weekly and then many years of drought in Australia which swiftly stopped washing your car in front of your house, the car ended up looking filthy most of the time. Good when I found the time to drive it somewhere to wash it but I just didn't have the time for that usually.

The silver really hides the dirt. Even though I've kept this clean since purchase, when it gets dusty, it still looks a million dollars.

One thing with the space grey is I reckon it opens up your interior options. I personally like the beige interior but it doesn't look so good with the silver so we went black. Beige leather would be fine with the darker exterior but you could also go black just as easily.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #32
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Hi Ann, I have the beige interior as well and it's fab - just order a set of original black carpets - the beige ones will get horrifically dirty. Get your dealer to throw in the black ones gratis
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #33
Ann
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
Hi Ann, I have the beige interior as well and it's fab - just order a set of original black carpets - the beige ones will get horrifically dirty. Get your dealer to throw in the black ones gratis
Thanks, hadn't thought of the mats. Good point.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #34
Ann
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil777 View Post
My wife's X1 is black sapphire and black interior - the same as my 5 Series GT. When clean, I don't think there is a nicer colour. I use car dusters to keep our vehicles looking their best between washes - a quick 5 minute wipedown each morning (assuming there is only dust and not accumulated dirt) and they look like they just left the showroom - and the dusters cause no scratches whatsoever. So black would be my suggestion. Also, my wife likes to garden (being British!) and is constantly transporting bags of dirt, mulch, plants, bushes etc in the X1 (it's enough to give someone like me who tries to keep his vehicles spotless a heart attack!), so the black interior was a very wise choice - can't imagine what the interior would look like if we had chosen a lighter colour (even with all the extra mats and blankets I keep in the back of her vehicle)!!! Good luck with your choice - lots of great suggestions in this thread.
Probably a smart move because of gardening however my husband drives a black 528 with black interior and son has a black Audi with black interior and I cannot stand them in the summer as the seats are so hot when you get in. Maybe not a problem when you are wearing pants but not much fun if in a skirt or shorts. Ergo my decision to go lighter but I now know I will have to bring along extra protection when I am going to the nursery or transporting plants or equipment to our chalet out of town.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #35
Abdulll
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

depending on which part of the planet that you live, the most popular color in sunny Sri Lanka is Sparkling Bronze, hides all the dirt, next on line is cashmere silver - space grey black and silver are not winners here, yet to see a blue - might be the best one, anyone out there has pictures of a blue x1??
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #36
Abdulll
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

me got a cashmere silver with beige interior -sad choice! seperate them colors from one another and they look good, but certainly not a good combo, my pals got a cashmere silver with black interior - looks really good - besides the beige interior gest dirty in no time,
of course dirt does not show off on the cashmere silver.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #37
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I presonally think that the M-Sport can carry the lighter colours better than the SE, the SE needs a dark colour like deep sea blue or black, and it needs the X-Line package too.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #38
DarrenBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d xDrive SE

I like the vermillion red, white,blue or space grey colours personally. This is quite an old thread but I would suggest you buy the colour you prefer rather than worrying about trade-in value, which might be down to only a few hundred quid. Why buy a colour you might not really want/like and live with it for a few years just hoping it will hold value slightly better. Besides, dealers will always try to offer as little as possible when you come to trade-in. IMO there are way to many silvers cars on the road and even black. They're like magnolia walls. I can understand this colour choice more for company cars but for personal purchases just buy the colour you like best.

It annoys me a little when I search BMWAUC online and find so many silver and black cars! We're all differenent but I'm not sure why such common colours would be sought after second hand.
ALso a car of mine is a rare car but painted in the most common colours (it was a launch colour and some say looks best in it hence why the colour sold more when new), and people looking to buy one 'used' actually want one of the rarer colours usually so apparently mine is worth less because it's too common (interlagos blue Z4M).

Last edited by DarrenBM; 09-03-2011 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #39
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

I wanted a blue one but my wife chose the colour so we have a Titanium Silver one. Must say that the colour has grown on me over the last year. I think it fits well with the X-Line trim and black interior. I could be imagining it but after about 5 layers of Zymol Titanium wax the colour seems to have lightened. I have posted these before but here are some pics:
Name:  x1_12.jpg
Views: 4034
Size:  118.7 KB
Name:  x1_6.jpg
Views: 5972
Size:  671.4 KB
Name:  x1_5.jpg
Views: 3658
Size:  568.9 KB
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #40
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

Here's a couple of recent photos of my Cashmere Silver X1.

Its a great colour and goes well with the black leather interior.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #41
greenfunk
Rep
Drives: X1

@ Mulberry: god. your x1 looks so good! I feel like getting the m-kit. & I loveeeee those rims. But the thought of cleaning them is just..............
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #42
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfunk View Post
@ Mulberry: god. your x1 looks so good! I feel like getting the m-kit. & I loveeeee those rims. But the thought of cleaning them is just..............
Thanks for the compliment, the chaps in the body shop excelled themselves. In my opinion it looks even better in the flesh.

If you have a look at my 'not for the squeamish' post, it shows the car stripped down. No welding is required, the panels were pre painted before the car went in, and the work took two days. As the work was done by BMW there were no warranty issues, but my insurance company bless them, charged me an additional £110 for 'admin' when I informed them of the change!!!

If at some point you go ahead watch out for the different shape spot lights that are required as they are not part of the kit. Also I don't know if this is the case with other colours, but there were quite a few different shades of space grey, so it's important to tape swatches of the different shades to a number of panels to ensure that you get the correct match BEFORE any paint work is done.

The only other thing was that the scuff plates inside the doors now read MSport...comes with the kit, so will this mean a new MSport steeering wheel to complete the car?...no....I've got a sports steering wheel with padles and I think that it looks better. Perhaps I should also mention that when I specified the car from new I ordered the MSport anthracite head lining, and sports suspension so the car is lower.

The wheels and cleaning?..................I havn't quite given up the will to live yet but you are right they are a pain.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #43
greenfunk
Rep
Drives: X1

@mulberry: looking at the various x1 on this forum is making me seriously green with car envy!
How much did you spend on the kit? How much lower is your car? Actually i have the same rims but when i see the space in the wheel arch i feel like smth's not right. But the X1 is kinda like a suv, so if you lower the ride it would be kind of strange right?

I keep wanting to do mods, but looking for parts and reputable workshop to do it is one of the reasons why i am not doing it. & BMW here is so up-tight. I can't get them to retrofit anything for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #44
jbcarioca
Brazil
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 28i (six cylinder)

Mine is Alpine White with the beige interior. However, my spouse has had four BMW's, each one in that colour combination. Guess how we decided this one? One advantage is that white si the hardest colour, so has fewer nicks and dings than other colours do, it is also cooler, and that is a big deal when you live in the topics. White is a rare colour here in brazil where more than 90% of all cars are black/silver/grey. Oddly the white ones are very, very easy to sell.

I cannot explain that.
Appreciate 0