08-15-2023, 06:16 PM   #1
Jerez418
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
help! boost leak (or something) somewhere

I have a X1 2014. I was driving to the tire shop and everything was fine. Got my tires on and headed to get some food, everything still fine. My brother takes my car to go to work and calls me saying the car is being all funny, I ran the codes and I got:

2c57

I’ve checked hoses and clamps and stuff everything seems to be in good shape. When driving there’s a loud whistle boost noise kinda. car is in limp mode too I think.

Could anyone guide me in like how to properly check and what specifically to check. I’ve looked all over online but it hasn’t been much help.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 09:07 AM   #2
Gus6174
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E84 & E90

Hi There,

I have a 2012 X1 and have been dealing with the famous 2C57 code for a while. The code description leads one to believe it is a leak in the intake/intercooler tubes resulting in low boost pressure and I chased that for a while. After exhausting my wits, I took the vehicle to the dealer, first time leaving without a diagnosis, then complaining and visiting a second time to have it diagnosed correctly (on their dime second time). This is not a leak in the intake tubes but rather a worn out waste gate and thus low/no boost … resulting in it going in to limp mode ( does not display the CEL but rather displays the half shaded engine in the middle display where you see the low fuel light for example. I have a replacement turbo assy on its way and will replace soon. Am looking forward to having all horses back!!

NOTE: One fact in diagnosing this, once this happens initially, the limp mode will trigger more often becoming more prevalent as the wastegate mechanism wears mechanically.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 02:22 PM   #3
Jerez418
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus6174 View Post
Hi There,

I have a 2012 X1 and have been dealing with the famous 2C57 code for a while. The code description leads one to believe it is a leak in the intake/intercooler tubes resulting in low boost pressure and I chased that for a while. After exhausting my wits, I took the vehicle to the dealer, first time leaving without a diagnosis, then complaining and visiting a second time to have it diagnosed correctly (on their dime second time). This is not a leak in the intake tubes but rather a worn out waste gate and thus low/no boost … resulting in it going in to limp mode ( does not display the CEL but rather displays the half shaded engine in the middle display where you see the low fuel light for example. I have a replacement turbo assy on its way and will replace soon. Am looking forward to having all horses back!!

NOTE: One fact in diagnosing this, once this happens initially, the limp mode will trigger more often becoming more prevalent as the wastegate mechanism wears mechanically.
Thanks for replying! Now that you mentioned the Wastegate I have been getting error codes for it as well, I have been wanting to check with with a scanner to test the open and close position and adjust it manually if it’s off.
Appreciate 0