02-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #45
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdrive35i2014 View Post
Can i just use a conventional 12V battery charger for the job?
Yes. I had mine set to 10 amps when flashing both XHP and MHD. The power draw has come down significantly since they found a way to turn the fuel pump off during the flash.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #46
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Gotta say that after week, the xHP stage 3 in manual mode is super nice and very polished. Shifts are executed very quickly and the smoothness is markedly better than alpina.. especially downshifts. Would highly recommend it.

I definitely would recommend you have a good battery charger. Not everyone's battery is the best. I had power outage using a mid grade battery charger doing a map upgrade and am glad nothing was ruined. I am glad i wasn't flashing anything important. I have since replaced my battery and use a constant voltage source (OTC 700A, i found for cheap).
      02-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #47
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

How is D mode working for u?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #48
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
How is D mode working for u?
I haven't tried D or S mode yet.
      02-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #49
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I might buy the oem bmw battery charger. Would it work for flashing mhd and xhp?

I might charge the battery overnight and while connected to the charger, i will do the flashing.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #50
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Looks like theres a stage 4 option. Anyone tried it before? How is it exaclty different than stage3? Description says it is not suitable for the street. I wonder what that actually means.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #51
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Looks like theres a stage 4 option. Anyone tried it before? How is it exaclty different than stage3? Description says it is not suitable for the street. I wonder what that actually means.
“S” mode is set with high rpm shift points for track use all other modes are same as stage 3.
There is also a new customization option for 19.99 that allows you to enter shift points for all 3 transmission modes and behaviors for the kick down button under the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #52
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey guys, I finally flashed XHP stage 3 to my car. The flash took about an hour to do so yeah, remember to hook up your car to a battery charger. Don't be scared of the warning messages on the long flash... They will go away after everything is done.

I drove my car gently for about 80km for adaptation. My first impression is that in "D", the shifts are quite a bit quicker. Especially on the highway crusing at the 6th gear, a stab of throttle and the car shifts down and accelerate right away. Prior to the flash, the same scenario the car would lag for about a second before accelerating. There is no perceivable difference in terms of comfort vs stock TPU flash. YMMV of course.

"S" mode is beastly! Shifts are very hard and fast! Flooring the car from a stand still and it feels like there is almost no pedal lag. Shifting point are at very high revs even at partial throttle. I don't think i want to use it in slower traffic but when the traffic opens up, "S" mode for sure!

"M" mode manual shifts are very quick and it sounds like there's rev matching? There are feedbacks where people complained the shifts could be quite harsh but I feel the shifts shouldn't be described as such but rather be called "assertive". For reference, I have a 2010 M6. When that thing shifts at 8k RPM, that would be what I call harsh/Exciting.

Overall, I am very happy with XHP stage 3! If you are on the fence, don't hesitate and just go for it!
Mod List: Twisted Tuning MHD tune, XHP3, ER Charge Pipe, catless DP, ER Competition FMIC, Pure Stage 2 Turbo, PURE High Flow Inlet Pipe, ER Outlet Pipe, GFB DV (Plus), Gruppe M intake, Supersprint full exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 12:28 PM   #53
NMX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M sport

I'm dredging this thread up in hopes that some of the prior posters and/or others who've installed xHP more recently will see this and respond.
I'm on the original 6 speed transmission in my 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport (with staggered wheels and Pilot Sport 4s's, which beg for crisper acceleration), clearly the car needs some performance modification. I'm primarily unhappy with the acceleration lag that is an unhappy fact of life on the unmodified car, even with TBA resets. I'm looking into a DME flash (hoping BootMod3 has a program that will work on it) but it sounds like xHP may be a good first step for me (assuming a DME flash wouldn't eclipse the need for transmission flash). I'm particularly wondering if xHP can be configured to remap acceleration from full stop to eliminate lag, without over-aggressive high-RPM downshifts? I'm not super computer savvy as far as doing my own custom mapping is concerned.
Thanks!
- Dave in NM
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 10:41 PM   #54
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

I can't recommend xhp enough. Do it, you won't regret it. I'm stage 2 and drive around only in sport mode - its perfect. If you don't like it, they have shift point editors, etc. to adjust to your liking. The stock tcu tune on these things is a joke, you feel like you're driving a truck. Xhp will fix your woes regarding sluggishness.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 07:37 PM   #55
NMX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

So you buy the flash license and map pack? $230 seems like a small price to pay, considering it may save me money on a DME flash ($500+) I might not need. Power isn’t an issue, nor is acceleration once the car finally decides it’s time to giddy up. My car will do 140 up a fair incline at 6,000 feet between Albuquerque and Santa Fe with oomph to spare. More would probably just get me in trouble.
Where did you buy yours? I was emailing with a shop back East that puts up YouTube videos on these types of mods and they were going to recommend something that they thought could be “perfect for me” - maybe xHP, but they wouldn’t say yet - they’ve taken a couple of days, mostly of waiting for emails back, to try to figure out whether my throttle is electronically or mechanically activated (I’m assuming the former, I looked around and didn’t see any cables, plus the fact that it does throttle body adaptation that can be reset electronically makes me pretty sure it’s electronic). It would be nice if there were more readily available info on the car. Based on the owner’s manual it seems like BMW expects you to just take it to the dealer when any little thing happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 08:42 PM   #56
NocheDeZippeh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M Sport

Maybe a pedal tuner?

https://burgertuning.com/collections...ms-pedal-tuner

Apparently they (adjustably) amplify the signal from the gas pedal, making it feel more responsive. I've never used one, but they are out there and might be what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 09:05 PM   #57
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocheDeZippeh View Post
Maybe a pedal tuner?

https://burgertuning.com/collections...ms-pedal-tuner

Apparently they (adjustably) amplify the signal from the gas pedal, making it feel more responsive. I've never used one, but they are out there and might be what you're looking for.
I have a sprintbooster on mine, which is essentially the same thing, though some will argue they are the best or better than others as the pioneer in that space.

I will say though that I was getting a little frustrated with some of the hesitation or sluggishness at times with the acceleration. While I also got a dinan tune which helped, I got the sprintbooster and it has really smoothed it out into a predictable and linear pedal. It's just such a better driving experience with that on and you can kinda dial in the responsiveness you want and then just unplug the controller, it'll remember the setting and you don't have to deal with that cable and remote in the cabin. So, you might want to try that, too, it's a 2 minute installation and they have a robust 30 day, no questions asked return policy, so figured I'd try it, send it back if I didn't like it, but really did. Now I'd hate the thought of driving it without that.

I haven't done the xHP tune, though I know many people are happy with it, it still slightly scares me or was still in beta testing when I got it, and I'm afraid I'll brick the thing. Plus, I've spent too much already. The Dinan tune though is now down to like $249 these days which is good value, not only boosts power but helps with this issue, and sadly makes it almost the same price now or cheaper than a pedal tuner.

Good news is - you have lots of options to help with what we all feel are some deficiencies from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 02:15 AM   #58
NMX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow. Decisions, decisions. Looks like Dinan stage 2 can be bought online and installed by the end user in the comfort of their own garage, costs $349.95. Further stages need to be installed by a certified Dinan installer and probably cost a lot more. Based on what I'm seeing online other products seem to offer more user flexibility and possibly better value, so I'm not leaning toward Dinan.
Pedal tuners seem like a good simple/cheap option for addressing my main issue (acceleration lag/ sluggish throttle response), and may be enough for me but I'm tempted to go further (xHP or even xHP plus a reasonable do-it-yourself tune like MHD) if the shifts will be more satisfying AND the lag will go away. AND if I can make more power without sacrificing fuel economy overall (I would not likely drive like a madman all the time simply because there is more power available, honest, and folks who sell the tunes claim they actually improve fuel economy by optimizing RPM). I'd like to do this without modifying the car beyond electronic programming which can be done *and undone* at home by someone like me who's not very tech or mechanically savvy but good at following YouTube instructions.
I'd like to keep the costs reasonable, thinking around $500 total max but if there's a combination of modifications that will make the car truly amazing I would be willing to go over that within reason. I tend to be the kind of person who doesn't regret spending extra money on a value product that brings ongoing satisfaction. I just want to make sure I don't damage the car or invalidate the extended warranty (realizing that I would have to uninstall and reinstall most of these products when taking the car in to the dealership).
Seems like xHP transmission flash (plus MHD tune?) would cure the acceleration lag issue as well as a pedal tuner but would also give me a more satisfying shift profile overall, and would allow better fine tuning. Also seems like it wouldn't significantly increase the risk of damage to the car as long as I drive it like a responsible tuned car owner (ie, moderately hard at times but never stupid).
Seems like the price of the two mods would be somewhere around $500 ($232 for xHP license and map pack plus $270-ish for MHD flasher license plus maps pack (is that what I would buy?).
Burger pedal tuner alone is $199. To me, the difference between that and $500 is pretty minimal considering how much more I expect I'll appreciate the car if indeed the xHP plus MHD would be better in every respect aside from overall cost.
I guess another question worth asking just to complicate the discussion further is, would there be any reason to get the pedal tuner IN ADDITION to xHP (and possibly xHP plus MHD)?
I'm tempted to start with xHP, install it and see how the car behaves. Then I can decide about adding MHD or another ECU tuner, plus or minus a pedal tuner.
Another approach would be to start with a pedal tuner as a possible cheap and easy solution which may be enough to make me stop feeling a need for more, but if the consensus here is that that would not offer as much performance I'd rather not do that.
I'd appreciate any further advice form those with more knowledge/experience than me. Am I thinking about this correctly, or is there a flaw in my assumptions I should know about sooner rather than later? I realize some of the most valuable wisdom can be gained from "learning the hard way," but I'm hoping to be able to avoid that in this case if possible.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #59
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMX1 View Post
Wow. Decisions, decisions. Looks like Dinan stage 2 can be bought online and installed by the end user in the comfort of their own garage, costs $349.95. Further stages need to be installed by a certified Dinan installer and probably cost a lot more. Based on what I'm seeing online other products seem to offer more user flexibility and possibly better value, so I'm not leaning toward Dinan.
Pedal tuners seem like a good simple/cheap option for addressing my main issue (acceleration lag/ sluggish throttle response), and may be enough for me but I'm tempted to go further (xHP or even xHP plus a reasonable do-it-yourself tune like MHD) if the shifts will be more satisfying AND the lag will go away. AND if I can make more power without sacrificing fuel economy overall (I would not likely drive like a madman all the time simply because there is more power available, honest, and folks who sell the tunes claim they actually improve fuel economy by optimizing RPM). I'd like to do this without modifying the car beyond electronic programming which can be done *and undone* at home by someone like me who's not very tech or mechanically savvy but good at following YouTube instructions.
I'd like to keep the costs reasonable, thinking around $500 total max but if there's a combination of modifications that will make the car truly amazing I would be willing to go over that within reason. I tend to be the kind of person who doesn't regret spending extra money on a value product that brings ongoing satisfaction. I just want to make sure I don't damage the car or invalidate the extended warranty (realizing that I would have to uninstall and reinstall most of these products when taking the car in to the dealership).
Seems like xHP transmission flash (plus MHD tune?) would cure the acceleration lag issue as well as a pedal tuner but would also give me a more satisfying shift profile overall, and would allow better fine tuning. Also seems like it wouldn't significantly increase the risk of damage to the car as long as I drive it like a responsible tuned car owner (ie, moderately hard at times but never stupid).
Seems like the price of the two mods would be somewhere around $500 ($232 for xHP license and map pack plus $270-ish for MHD flasher license plus maps pack (is that what I would buy?).
Burger pedal tuner alone is $199. To me, the difference between that and $500 is pretty minimal considering how much more I expect I'll appreciate the car if indeed the xHP plus MHD would be better in every respect aside from overall cost.
I guess another question worth asking just to complicate the discussion further is, would there be any reason to get the pedal tuner IN ADDITION to xHP (and possibly xHP plus MHD)?
I'm tempted to start with xHP, install it and see how the car behaves. Then I can decide about adding MHD or another ECU tuner, plus or minus a pedal tuner.
Another approach would be to start with a pedal tuner as a possible cheap and easy solution which may be enough to make me stop feeling a need for more, but if the consensus here is that that would not offer as much performance I'd rather not do that.
I'd appreciate any further advice form those with more knowledge/experience than me. Am I thinking about this correctly, or is there a flaw in my assumptions I should know about sooner rather than later? I realize some of the most valuable wisdom can be gained from "learning the hard way," but I'm hoping to be able to avoid that in this case if possible.
Thanks!
Your main problem of lagginess is due to the stock transmission tune. The way to fix this is through reprogramming your Transmission Control Unit (TCU). This is what xhp does, so your best bet is to start there. If you find yourself wanting more power (i'm sure you will!), then it's time to flash your DME (Digital Motor Electronics). This would be Dinan or MHD. As you've discovered, MHD gives you more flexability. Plus both xhp and mhd you can do with no mechanical modifications to the car, so both can easily be undone.

For reference, my previous car was manual transmission, I drove it for 15 years and loved it. With my X1, my only complaint was the slow sluggish transmission. Literally every time I drove it I would get pissed at the stupid transmission. I wished it was manual so I could properly use the engine's power. But once I got xhp, it all changed. Totally different car. It shifts better and quicker than the zf 8 speed on our 2019 X3. I actually prefer the xhp flashed auto on my X1 now over manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #60
NMX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks, Wheela. That was a good to-the-point clarification of TCU and DME, and your approach makes perfect sense (and confirms what I'd been suspecting I should do). I also had a quick manual car before my X1, a 2002 WRX with intake, exhaust, a light flywheel and an engine tune, all on the original turbo, which made for great acceleration and fun driving. I can see the X1 being every bit as fun but a lot more refined, can't wait to see how the modifications affect the car.

Would you recommend just going to the xHP web site and purchasing the flash combo (flash license + map pack) directly through them? I.e., this? (see below)

I'll wait to see how the xHP does as a solo modification, and then I'll likely want to go ahead with a DME flash. One thing I'm wondering about that is since I've been bringing the car into BMW for scheduled servicing (now at nearly 60K miles, last service about a month ago), I'm wondering if my DME has been locked and is in need of unlocking before I can install a do-it-yourself flash?

Thanks again, super helpful!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #61
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

I remember that I bought xhp direct, but I can't remember if I did it through the site, or through the app/google play store. Flash license and map pack should do it. The Xhp and MHD apps can do the un-locking now, so you should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 12:38 PM   #62
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Let us know what you think, your X1 should have capability to be just as fun as your WRX! Even more so with your n55 engine. There are some decent off-shelf mods available for it, and custom tuning support if you decide to go down that path.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 12:42 PM   #63
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

When flashing, beware of cheap cables. The bimmergeeks cable and orange MHD wifi adapter are known good options. I've only ever used my MHD wifi adapter, and have had no problems. Also, make sure you follow their instructions, and use a power supply for the first flash, as the initial flash takes a while. If I recall correctly, the orange wifi adapter flashes approximately twice as fast as the cable.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 11:21 AM   #64
NMX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Another recent post linked to a concern about transmission damage caused by stages 2 and 3 xHP tune:

https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1933736

I'm wondering if stage 1 does much to fix the sluggishness of the transmission (I'm not shooting for blistering 0-60 or quarter mile times) or if another transmission flash program would be safer for the car while still offering increased performance (Alpina B3, perhaps, if it's still available and can be installed by the end user?). If xHP stage 1 effectively eliminates the lag without crazy high RPM shifts, I'd be happy to run it most of the time and perhaps just uncork stage 2 or 3 for a grin now and again.

I'm also wondering, would a pedal tuner be a safer way to get rid of acceleration lag without putting the tranny at risk? To improve responsiveness both off the line and when shifting during spirited driving? ...or maybe a "safe" tune (xHP stage 1?) PLUS a pedal tuner?

Last edited by NMX1; 06-26-2022 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 05:31 PM   #65
sudermatt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35M

That's actually the same article...I just posted in there....and thought it should have it's own thread.

Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMX1 View Post
Another recent post linked to a concern about transmission damage caused by stages 2 and 3 xHP tune:

https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1933736

I'm wondering if stage 1 does much to fix the sluggishness of the transmission (I'm not shooting for blistering 0-60 or quarter mile times) or if another transmission flash program would be safer for the car while still offering increased performance (Alpina B3, perhaps, if it's still available and can be installed by the end user?). If xHP stage 1 effectively eliminates the lag without crazy high RPM shifts, I'd be happy to run it most of the time and perhaps just uncork stage 2 or 3 for a grin now and again.

I'm also wondering, would a pedal tuner be a safer way to get rid of acceleration lag without putting the tranny at risk? To improve responsiveness both off the line and when shifting during spirited driving? ...or maybe a "safe" tune (xHP stage 1?) PLUS a pedal tuner?
      06-27-2022, 09:49 PM   #66
NMX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think not. Basically that blog link you posted is just a tangent to the bigger question of transmission tuning programs and how to optimize the process (aimed primarily at people who have already decided to tune), and more specifically what people’s experience with xHP has been. I realize you had concerns after seeing that blog, but there are existing posts where that would have fit in, for instance right here. Regarding your “Indy mechanic’s” take on tuning and longevity of a vehicle, I don’t think people flash their cars to make them last longer, they flash them to make them drive better. You would probably have been better advised to buy a Toyota Corolla if you want a car that’s not particularly enjoyable to drive but lasts a long time. It would save you money, too.
I had a good back and forth email with Christophe at xHP and it seems to me that your post and the blog it linked are an outlying opinion. xHP is much better able to keep track of the 100000 vehicles flashed with their program thus far than a third party with a vested interest in tearing them down (they make a competing product) and they are quite satisfied that the safeguards built into their program are robust. They have specific instructions on making sure xHP works as safely and seamlessly with other programs as possible, and based on the response I’ve received from them so far I expect they’ll offer good customer support. I’m new to all this so I was alarmed by your post at first but once I reached out to xHP I feel a lot better. I’m just working out final details but at this point I’m leaning toward going with xHP and MHD with the MHD wi-fi installer. I probably won’t be ready to order til after the 4th weekend and then I’m going out of town for a week so unfortunately it’ll be a little while before I get anything installed. And even then I’ll only have “butt dyno” information to report, but if the fix is half as good as I expect that will be plenty.
Appreciate 0