XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

comparison

Ok, so wife has a vw tiguan and I have a e90 335i. I really like her car more because its an easier lifestyle car. Ie: easier to drive a dog around in, put dirty items in, strap a bike on the back without feeling like in scratching the paint.

Now I like the 335i, but its a bit too refined for my day to day operations. Is the x1 a better version of the tiguan or should i look elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Never owned or drove a Tiguan but...
I sold a 2011 Golf 4Dr TDi w/DSG and
a 2010 Audi Q5 Premium +

to buy an X1 MSport. NO REGRETS!
I absolutely love the BMW...and it's the X28i.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

We owned a 2009 Tiguan for 3 years. No regrets selling it for the X1. The bimmer is nicer overall, drives better, feels a bit quicker (xdrive28i), but isn't as offroad worthy and has less ground clearance. Again though, no regrets at all.

I personally like to keep it nice though and do not treat it as roughly as our Tiguan.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
We owned a 2009 Tiguan for 3 years. No regrets selling it for the X1. The bimmer is nicer overall, drives better, feels a bit quicker (xdrive28i), but isn't as offroad worthy and has less ground clearance. Again though, no regrets at all.

I personally like to keep it nice though and do not treat it as roughly as our Tiguan.
Yea, i think it's the idea that it's a lower tier car that make it appealing to beat up. If I was more rich and I could think of the BMW as something I didn't need to baby, it would work out better. I'm thinking I might step down to that lower category of cars and just enjoy the car lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Yep, it's a little hard to get past the niceness of a new BMW and just use the car without fretting about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
Ok, so wife has a vw tiguan and I have a e90 335i. I really like her car more because its an easier lifestyle car. Ie: easier to drive a dog around in, put dirty items in, strap a bike on the back without feeling like in scratching the paint.

Now I like the 335i, but its a bit too refined for my day to day operations. Is the x1 a better version of the tiguan or should i look elsewhere?
Went from a Touareg to an X1 and I have no regrets...except of course off Road ability...which the X1 isn't too bad at so far, I do agree the BMW is a bit delicate and I'm a rough kinda guy, but in exchange for a sporty, comfortable, advance car you sacrifice brute force, but to me that's jumping curbs, driving in ruts, mud and deep water...which most don't do, as long as I can throw my huge suitcase, my snowboard or music equipment in the back and take off (which I can) I'm good, you should be fine. Very sufficient for small families and couples and outdoorsy people's and btw any other car including the tiguan most peeps avoid scratching n such so...

Those are my thoughts
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

I drove a Tiguan a few weeks ago, it was eh... boring.
The seating position is like a truck, absolutely no feel in the steering, no traction at all (in the FWD version) and it's anonymously styled.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-Kat View Post
Went from a Touareg to an X1 and I have no regrets...except of course off Road ability...which the X1 isn't too bad at so far, I do agree the BMW is a bit delicate and I'm a rough kinda guy, but in exchange for a sporty, comfortable, advance car you sacrifice brute force, but to me that's jumping curbs, driving in ruts, mud and deep water...which most don't do, as long as I can throw my huge suitcase, my snowboard or music equipment in the back and take off (which I can) I'm good, you should be fine. Very sufficient for small families and couples and outdoorsy people's and btw any other car including the tiguan most peeps avoid scratching n such so...

Those are my thoughts
Ok that's a good answer. If you went from a toureg and downsized and your still fine then that's good. You do avoid scratching a car, but with the bmw I'm def overly protective. I scratched other cars before and would be upset for a couple hours then be like who cares.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naambezet View Post
I drove a Tiguan a few weeks ago, it was eh... boring.
The seating position is like a truck, absolutely no feel in the steering, no traction at all (in the FWD version) and it's anonymously styled.
ehh yea, i mean we own a tiguan and I like the way it drives. I do agree the traction on it sucks though. A bmw is definitely going to be a better driving experience then the vw.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

The Tiguan is a larger car, there's no way around that.
But it also is a less snappy car, and more spartan. You're definitely venturing towards soccer mom territory with the Tiguan, while the X1 is more of a semi-responsible mid-life crisis.
Both are good cars, but I don't think many will be stuck choosing between them - they're different enough that buyers will fall down on one side of the fence pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
while the X1 is more of a semi-responsible mid-life crisis.
Haha. I'm scheduled to pick mine up in 2 weeks the day after I turn 40. I've been calling it my mid-life crisis car since I ordered it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
ehh yea, i mean we own a tiguan and I like the way it drives. I do agree the traction on it sucks though. A bmw is definitely going to be a better driving experience then the vw.
Oh, excuse me, I read it wrong.
Thought you were considering one, I blame my jetlag.
The Tiguan is a little better built in the interior compartment, less hard plastics, doorbins are nicer, but looks more boring.
But I liked the iDrive more, which is more convenient in use and the touch nav in the VW (you probably already knew that), seating position is nicer, steering wheel is nicer to hold (closer to the driver than in the Tiguan)(and I guess you already know those points), less bodyroll, wind noise is about on par, sidemirrors are a little bit bigger on the X1 (which I like), rear visability is a little bit better on the Tiguan, the twinscroll turbos are a little bit nicer than the TSI engines (my opinion).
So yeah, I think the X1 is better (ofcourse, we have one) but the Tiguan is good enough when you're not a sporty driver. And it's cheaper to run and in purchase.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

My wife has 09 Tiguan, it's a good car but not sporty. For me it's too wobbly and I like to corner fast so I don't like driving it much. The X1 is far more of a performance car, especially the 35. The Tiguan does do a pretty good job at off roading and remote dirt roads with large ruts and I wouldn't take an X1 where the Tiguan has been. My wife likes her Tiguan more, bigger panarama sunroof, sits 6" higher, and more versatile.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The Tiguan is a larger car, there's no way around that.
But it also is a less snappy car, and more spartan. You're definitely venturing towards soccer mom territory with the Tiguan, while the X1 is more of a semi-responsible mid-life crisis.
Both are good cars, but I don't think many will be stuck choosing between them - they're different enough that buyers will fall down on one side of the fence pretty quickly.
haha, so the x1 is really smaller then the tiguan? I mean that's a jacked up GTI. I def don't think I'd want to go smaller then that.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
haha, so the x1 is really smaller then the tiguan? I mean that's a jacked up GTI. I def don't think I'd want to go smaller then that.
EPA has the X1 listed as a "midsize", and the Tiguan (and X3) as a "Small SUV".

That it's small is part of the charm. You get it with the same engines as its bigger brother, but with less weight it becomes sportier. Certainly far sportier than the Tiguan.
And there's one place where the X1 is bigger than you'd think - the dashboard is smaller, so you have more lengthwise room for taller drivers. That was what disqualified the X3 for me - my knee would bump the dashboard even with the seat all the way back.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
EPA has the X1 listed as a "midsize", and the Tiguan (and X3) as a "Small SUV".

That it's small is part of the charm. You get it with the same engines as its bigger brother, but with less weight it becomes sportier. Certainly far sportier than the Tiguan.
And there's one place where the X1 is bigger than you'd think - the dashboard is smaller, so you have more lengthwise room for taller drivers. That was what disqualified the X3 for me - my knee would bump the dashboard even with the seat all the way back.
I find it hard to believe that the X1 is rated as a larger vehicle than the Tiggy, but the EPA does some weird stuff. The X1 is small inside, it's essentially an E91 on stilts, so it's a good bit smaller than the F31 and massively, noticeably smaller inside than the F25 X3. For us, that was a great thing, but if you're looking for practicality or more space than the Tiggy, this isn't the answer.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #17
backpackerx
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328ix

Quote:
I'm currently shopping around and drove both. The Tiguan felt bigger in the back seat and bigger trunk but I didn't measure or have them to compare side to side. Overall, I assumed it was bigger than the X1. The X1 is the smallest of the small SUVs I've driven I think and I've driven most.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpackerx View Post
I'm currently shopping around and drove both. The Tiguan felt bigger in the back seat and bigger trunk but I didn't measure or have them to compare side to side. Overall, I assumed it was bigger than the X1. The X1 is the smallest of the small SUVs I've driven I think and I've driven most.
Don't forget the Evoque, which feels about as roomy as my old dorm fridge.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I find it hard to believe that the X1 is rated as a larger vehicle than the Tiggy, but the EPA does some weird stuff.
Um, it isn't - read it again. The X1 is rated a midsize, not a midsize SUV. In other words a midsize car - the same as most of the 3 series - and not an SUV at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Oops, detailed analysis fail. Thanks for spelling it out.
Appreciate 0