XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #89
bikeplatt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sport

Garage List
F30 can be done. They also show a manual Mini Cooper with a remote starter.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 07:05 PM   #90
bikeplatt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
compustar.com
It's listed here as well. I remember looking this spring and don't recall seeing any options. Wonder what they found or did they have enough request. I'm calling my local dealer tomorrow and will post what I find out.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #91
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

it says compustar systems are available for sale and install in best buy,
i wonder if they can do the f30
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:18 AM   #92
bikeplatt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The rough estimate from my local dealer was around 1200. He is looking into options for my manual. They need a key that is used for the system, so you won't get that back.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #93
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I see a lot of criticism of the PHEVs (such as my 33e) in this forum. But one of the neat features of the BMW PHEVs is that they can turn on the AC/heater remotely with a phone app without starting the car or unlocking the car. That is one step up on the remote start feature discussed here.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2016, 02:09 AM   #94
Mokhader
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Does this work for a 2013 M6 coupe?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 05:27 AM   #95
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
That's foking absurd!
No doubt, lots of other things I'd rather add for the cash. Guess I'll just have to keep climbing in first.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #96
xXRAGHAVXx
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i MSPORT XDrive

I hope everyone knows you don't need to idle your cars to warm them up if you have modern engines.

Cars with electronic fuel injection do not need to be warmed up before lightly driving off. This is because fuel injected engines can compensate for temperature changes. Cold engines run rich to compensate for poor fuel atomization. This means extra fuel is injected into the combustion chamber.

Now fuel is a solvent, so when extra fuel gets on the cylinder walls, it washes away the oil from the cylinders and pistons. Less oil on the cylinder walls means less protection, and because the oil is cold it makes it harder for it to be replaced. This means the longer you spend with your engine cold, the more wear you’ll have. Idling the engine doesn’t put much heat into it, so the car remains cold for a long duration.

If it’s cold outside, you can wait 15-30 seconds to ensure that oil is flowing, but you don’t need to wait for the engine to be warm. It will heat up faster by driving the car lightly. By heating it up faster, the oil gets to operating temperature more quickly, and this is what you want to prevent wear. If it’s really cold outside, the time it takes to scrape off the windows so you can see will be plenty of time for oil to start circulating, so you can get in and go once you can see out the windshield. - Engineering Explained

Appreciate 2
      02-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #97
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXRAGHAVXx View Post
I hope everyone knows you don't need to idle your cars to warm them up if you have modern engines.

Cars with electronic fuel injection do not need to be warmed up before lightly driving off. This is because fuel injected engines can compensate for temperature changes. Cold engines run rich to compensate for poor fuel atomization. This means extra fuel is injected into the combustion chamber.

Now fuel is a solvent, so when extra fuel gets on the cylinder walls, it washes away the oil from the cylinders and pistons. Less oil on the cylinder walls means less protection, and because the oil is cold it makes it harder for it to be replaced. This means the longer you spend with your engine cold, the more wear you’ll have. Idling the engine doesn’t put much heat into it, so the car remains cold for a long duration.

If it’s cold outside, you can wait 15-30 seconds to ensure that oil is flowing, but you don’t need to wait for the engine to be warm. It will heat up faster by driving the car lightly. By heating it up faster, the oil gets to operating temperature more quickly, and this is what you want to prevent wear. If it’s really cold outside, the time it takes to scrape off the windows so you can see will be plenty of time for oil to start circulating, so you can get in and go once you can see out the windshield. - Engineering Explained

All these are accurate points if the goal is maximizing longevity of the vehicle and reducing wear to the absolute minimum possible.

However this does not solve for the car interior/steering wheel/ seats being prewarmed before I get in. Or in the summer precooled before I get in. I am happy to sacrifice a few tenths off the longevity of the vehicle for the convenience of the feature. Seeing that most other manufacturers have incorporated this into most/all models in my opinion BMW should offer the functionality. Even if it only works through the app which means it is purely software code to make it work.

Much like auto stop start it is a feature that some like and some use and those that don't can shut it off. The fact BMW should deliver on the feature doesn't mean everyone wants it.
Appreciate 3
      02-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #98
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXRAGHAVXx View Post

this statement from manufacturer comes to make lifetime of engine as much low as possible . like 80 000 km and no more . Nobody cancels law of physics , in cold transmission oil , engine , you can kill everything much faster . Why new engines runs no more than 150 K ? And previous M30 , M50 can run 500 000 km plus ? Cause nobody advise start and run in 30 seconds .
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 02:36 AM   #99
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

There is an auto-vent feature that you can set to exhaust hot air at a particular set time in the future, I think max is 45m, but you can set two times, and could run them back to back for longer. In the summer I set it to run right before I hope I'll be out to the car. Not as good as having AC running, but it helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #100
KarisonK
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Is the 2018 m2 capatible with the remote starter?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #101
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
No f22 😕
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #102
edikam
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60I Carbon Black

Garage List
2024 X5 m60i  [10.00]
Waste of Money

Complete waste of money. Paid around $1,300.00 Bill Jacobs Naperville, IL.
Too many things to do to make it work. Read instructions before spending those money.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 02:41 AM   #103
aschmidt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edikam View Post
Complete waste of money. Paid around $1,300.00 Bill Jacobs Naperville, IL.
Too many things to do to make it work. Read instructions before spending those money.

Why is that? Is it buggy or something else?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #104
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschmidt View Post
Why is that? Is it buggy or something else?
It's not buggy at all. Just has a lot of requirements for it to work and if you miss one it won't work.

All windows rolled up
Sufficient amount of gas (gas light can't be on)
Parking brake engaged
Can not have any major faults active (CEL, drivetrain malfunction)
Vehicle will run for 20 minutes then turn off. Can't do back to back auto starts.

For the price though it's not worth it imo. The install is a pain in the arse as well
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #105
Flash6S
Rep
Drives: 2014 640i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by al3xander View Post
It's not buggy at all. Just has a lot of requirements for it to work and if you miss one it won't work.

All windows rolled up
Sufficient amount of gas (gas light can't be on)
Parking brake engaged
Can not have any major faults active (CEL, drivetrain malfunction)
Vehicle will run for 20 minutes then turn off. Can't do back to back auto starts.

For the price though it's not worth it imo. The install is a pain in the arse as well
I would say though, that most of the rules mentioned above are standard across most car companies across the board, except for the ebrake. Honestly, you wouldnt want the car to run for more than 20 min anyway. Your car can get hot or cold sufficiently less time than that. As well, why would you want your car started without you being present with the windows rolled down or low on fuel? And who cares how difficult the install is if you arent the one installing?
Everything BMW mentions seems reasonable for autostart (again, besides ebrake)
Appreciate 0