XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
GoHawks
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i M Sport

On the fence...

Hey guys…

Currently own a 2007 335i coupe, looking to make a move soon, have some questions and mostly looking for feedback. It has had a few hiccups and burps (minor issues), but nothing that would make me lean towards another brand. Other car is a MDX, which my wife mainly drives.

Currently, my 335 has just a hair over 47K miles (don’t drive that much), but I’m always nervous about keeping cars longer than 7-8 years. And even though I have a really great independent mechanic to do any work that has come up outside of warranty, I don’t want to get hit with anything too expensive. And frankly, I don’t want to have to spend money on tires, which I’ll probably need in 10K miles or so. Oh and the winter we had here in Chicago… While I grew up on RWD drives, I need something more than that after 82” of snow this past season.

So, this leads me to today. I definitely need more than two doors. The X1 and 328/335 and even the GT are on my short list. The X1 intrigues me. I have driven one, liked it. It was a VERY basic model, but I was able to get enough of an idea. I haven’t decided between the 28i or 35i, but I can say that I don’t drive my current car to nearly the limits of what it’s capable of. However, that being said, there is something to be said about the N54/N55. Not looking for feedback on motor choices, this one I’ll put on me. But I won’t ignore any thoughts you all may have on this.

But what I could use is feedback and dialog on the following. Help is greatly appreciated.

1) M Sport v. Sports Line. The requirement is sport seats. I like the M Sport option, but I’m not thrilled with the configuration options for the interior. I would go Coral leather regardless, but the trim choices are either the light fineline wood or the aluminum trim. Both of which don’t really seem to go well with the red. Unless someone has any real life pictures they can share? I would be OK going sports line as the trim options seem to go better with the coral red, but lose the M Badge (snob!)… And of course the sports suspension.
2) BMW CCA – I am a member, my friend signed me up (last membership lapsed) and it started back in June/July of last year. I know you have to wait a year before the discount comes into play, but could I place an order now and if it gets delivered in July, and I sign the purchase agreement then, would that work? Or are they going to look at when the deposit commitment is made, which could be before the year anniversary?

3) Coming from an E92, the gauge cluster in the X1 today is the exact same, even the key fob looks the same. Would you care having spent the last seven years looking at the same dash and moving to a 2015 X1 and potentially spending another 7+ years looking at the same dash? One of the reasons why the 328 is still on my list is because of the updated look with the dash and controls. I know it comes down to personal preference…

4) With me having a MDX to haul gear around, do you all find the X1 to be that good car/SAV balance? I don’t need a big hauler, need something to get the kids more easily in and out and also haul around some baseball and soccer gear. The X1 and 328/335 fit the bill, so I am looking for reasons why the X1 is a better candidate.

5) Anything else?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

1. A few folks do not like the trim and are swapping it out. Someone is selling their aluminum trim currently. Oddly enough for us that trim looked the best with our seats (Tan). There is also carbon wraps.

2. A WAG is that the date is based on purchase agreement as that sets the price.

3. My truck is 16 years old so I have been looking at the same cluster. Doesn't bother me. YMMV.

4. X1 boot is smallish. My suggestion is that if you are hauling kids and gear that you take said kids and gear to the dealer and do a test fit. Perhaps one reason the X1 is a better hauler is that one can easily put the seats down and put taller items in the back than one can with a 3 series.

5. With kids you might the M-Sport trim running boards get beat up. Thus the sport line which is black trim might hold better.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

If you have multiple kids I would get the new 3 series over the X1. There is a lot more rear leg room in the new 3 series. I just didn't like the way the new 3 series looks. I think the old one is beautiful and the new one look dull. The 3 series wagon looks better but is more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
bluejay_el
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive 28i

M sport vs sport: The only reason why I went for an M Sport is because of the paint - le mans blue. If they didnt offer that color, I would have gone for a Midnight Blue - Sport. Now if we're talking about an X3 (or X5), i'd definitely go for an M Sport...just because I dont like the aerodynamic kit of the non M...lol. I couldnt care of the m badge since its not really an m car

Kids: I agree that that you should take the kids with you on your test drive. I think it would only sit 2 young kids comfortably. The cargo area is also shorter than the 3 series. An alternative option would be a 3 series wagon or an X3
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
The aluminum trim on the m sport is quite a bit darker in person. So is the wood. For me, I would go with the aluminum trim in the m sport, black in the sport (what I have now).

Before I pulled the trigger I drove the 28i and the 35i back to back. Yes the N55 pulled a bit better, but I found the transmission to be clunky and less refined than the 8sp. I ended up with the 28i because the performance was adequate for everyday driving and the fuel economy on the highway is very good.

The cargo area is a tad small for long hauls, but is sufficient. Easy to load because of the lowish height. Rear leg room can be tight, but nobody that sits behind me complains. It really depends on how far back you sit in the front seats.

The X1 was the choice for me for a lot of reasons, the main being a good compromise between SUV and wagon. I came from a pick up and before the pick up I had nothing but sports sedans and coupes. I wanted something sporty but with a bit of utility.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

The X1 is a little slower and worse handling than the 3 series. SUV vs sedan. That said, the X1 is only 170 pounds heavier (335i xDrive drive lines). So the very small difference there saves you $7000 & gives you a higher road view (for traffic) and a lot better storage.
Fit & finish was similar to both (I compared the sedan and X1, just like many did).
If you are hauling a family to go ski, get the roof rack. My 165cm skis go up in between the front seats onto the center arm rest (I keep mine "in the car").
The X1 is so much of a bargain (light weight, powerful engines, cheaper to buy) vs the bigger X3-6, but it is a smaller SUV. Plenty of space if you aren't trying to move furniture & such. Vs the sedan it is the obvious trade off: speed/handling a little less, ground clearance/storage a little more.
I would get the sport seats and parking sensors (only things I would change on mine). The "base" trim line handles very well, I can only imagine the M sport would be even better.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Comming from a dual clutch TDI, I could not go back to to an old 6 speed transmission. So the 28i was a no brainer for me. So far, I never felt that I needed more power. The torque from this engine matched with the 8 speed is a great combo.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Aluminium trim actually goes well with coral red, they usually show this combo in advertising material.

Make sure you try the suspension for m-sport. If roads are bad in your area you should avoid m-sport. Mine is sport line and it is border line harsh. I wouldn't want it any stiffer for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
Royleblue
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d Sport

Photo of the black trim with the Coral Red if it helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
GoHawks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
Aluminium trim actually goes well with coral red, they usually show this combo in advertising material.

Make sure you try the suspension for m-sport. If roads are bad in your area you should avoid m-sport. Mine is sport line and it is border line harsh. I wouldn't want it any stiffer for sure.
Great feedback. Roads are completely abysmal around here.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
rtowell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 Sdrive28i; 2001 M5

I drove the M-Sport and Sportline back to back. I thought the M-Sport was a bit harsh riding in comparison so I went with the Sportline.

I also drove the X and S versions and much preferred the feel of the RWD car ... much lighter feel. Of course, we don't get much snow in FL. That and the transmission sealed the deal for me on the 28i.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Randy7fx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

I have coral read with aluminum and absolutely love the combination. Not sure if I am successfully attaching pics, but will give it a try.
Edit: Fail, the pic is too large. PM me your mobile and I will text it to you.

Last edited by Randy7fx; 05-07-2014 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: add pics
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #13
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:

Also you lose the heated steering wheel with the M package.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I test drove the X line s28i with 18" wheels for about 10 minutes around a big block, and immediately noticed the diesel like low end power.

Around the corners it did the normal body lean, but ok.

I ordered the MSport to get the seats , steering wheel, and staggered 355m 18" x8 and 18 x9 wheels.

Wow, it's the smoothest and firm car I've ever been in.

The pirelli P7 summer performance tires are also the stickiest tires I've ever had, and I track my Mazda RX8 also. They are still 8 to 9 / 32 tread after 7k miles so I expect at least 25k miles.

The other thing I paid extra for is the Mineral White which is cool in sun.

I would've bought Valencia orange or one of the Blues, but I'm driving my wifes' car.

The total black with crosshatch alum trim is very high tech looking. I can't believe people would modify that.

I can afford twice the car and paid cash, but my X1 s28i Msport is perfect enough for me and I miss no other options.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #15
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Have you considered the X3? The X1 has very little rear leg room unless you are on the short side. I'm 6 ft, and with my drivers seat in a comfortable position, it would be cruel to put anyone in the seat behind me unless they were a very small child. So I guess it all depends on how tall you are and how old your kids are. But you may want to consider the X3 as it would have similar rear seat space to a 3 series sedan.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #16
GoHawks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
Have you considered the X3? The X1 has very little rear leg room unless you are on the short side. I'm 6 ft, and with my drivers seat in a comfortable position, it would be cruel to put anyone in the seat behind me unless they were a very small child. So I guess it all depends on how tall you are and how old your kids are. But you may want to consider the X3 as it would have similar rear seat space to a 3 series sedan.
I have, but not for very long. I really want to stay in a car-like vehicle. X3 is getting too SUV-ish for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #17
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHawks
Quote:
I have, but not for very long. I really want to stay in a car-like vehicle. X3 is getting too SUV-ish for me.
X4? SQ5? Macan?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #18
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Yeah, perhaps the X4. I really like the way it looks.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #19
GoHawks
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, perhaps the X4. I really like the way it looks.
Starting to talk some $$$.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

If you need the size, the F31 is nice, with rwd options coming soon (but I think still only automatics). It's more expensive than the X1 and only available with the N20, but still nice. We wanted something smaller so stuck with the X1, but since it sounds like a little extra size would help your case, it's worth a look, and not an SUV.

Oddly, I'm 6'2" and found the X3 to feel much more cramped in the front seats and not noticeably larger in the back seats. It does have a much larger boot though, for the little that's worth. Materials and details are much, much nicer though. It also removes any doubt that it's an SUV though.

As for feeling similar to your E92, we had an E82 135i before and you're right, the keys, controls, gauges, etc all feel the same. It does feel a little dated, but also familiar. If you want an all new feel, go for an F3x. If you like the E9x feel, you'll be right at home.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #21
GoHawks
Rep

Quote:
The aluminum or dark cross hatch aluminum?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #22
GoHawks
Rep

How you all perceive the "value" of the X1? Loading up a 35i, you're looking at $45K-$46K with a negotiated discount. Is that a good value considering what you get? The 28i brings the cost down, but I'm trying to gauge whether the cost of the car, the technology in the car (still an E series, not F) justify the sticker price.
Appreciate 0