XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

01-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #45
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

Warranty and aftermarket items all depends on your dealer. If they like you no problem. If they don't it can be voided by a radar detector.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #46
jkarsh99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Did it cut down on engine noise for you?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #47
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Got my X1 hood insulation from Bimmerfox this week. $125 shipped, with review. The box was beat up but the insulator itself was completely intact and pristine. I am impressed by both the fitment and the material quality. Like a heavy felt material with the padded parts pretty thick.

Installation takes all of 10-15 minutes. My 35i makes a lot of ticking/rattling noises just idling. With the hood insulator, I really can only hear that while in my garage where I think the sound gets bounced off the sides. While driving, all I really hear is the beautiful purrrrr of the engine when giving throttle. Of course, the limiting factor then is the wind and road/suspension noise--wish there was some easy-to-install insulation for that!

I did take 3 before and 3 after (hood insulation installation) heat readings of the exterior surface of the hood, the plastic intake filter housing and the oil filter on the engine. For approximately the same temperature outside (~77-78*F), I was getting hood readings about 12-13*F lower, intake housing 12-13*F higher, and oil filter about the same. To me that is saying the engine is operating at about the same temp but under hood temps are higher which may or may not affect intake temperatures depending on how fast the car is moving. I think it is also a safe bet that under hood temps take longer to dissipate after you park your car but I did no temperature measurements on that.

My take is that this is a high quality product at a very good price. Engine sounds are attenuated but other road/wind noises are still above and beyond any noise the engine makes. There is a heat soak potential based on what I've measured.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #48
taxpro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive35i, 2001 540iA

Garage List
I am interested in the hood insulation, but don't want to install if it increases the engine operating temperature, would potentially do damage to the engine or affect the warranty, so I decided to try asking the BMW Genius for advise. I was disappointed that they simply referred me to the manager of the parts department at my local BMW dealership. They were a bit non-committal; however, they said they were surprised that to discover that most of the recent models, including the X1, do not come with the hood insulation.

That did say that OEM hood insulation is designed to reduce noise, prevent the spread of an engine fire and dissipate heat. They said there isn't an available OEM part for hood insulation from BMW, but that they would be comfortable if a reputable after-market vendor installed hood insulation and that, in their opinion, it would not violate the warranty.

Just thought others interested in this topic would be interested in what I learned.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #49
Codydog01
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Just a quick review on my hood insulation purchase from Bimmerfox;

Received my under hood insulation kit from Bimmerfox within two days of placing the oder. Arrived in great shape creatively packaged in a box as others have shown.

Install took all of 10 minutes in a '14 X-1. Sound damping is quite noticeable. Looks to be a quality product. Finishes off the engine compartment nicely. Kit was complete, directions were clear and easy to follow.

Props to Bill for providing a nice quality product in a timely manner along with his quick email correspondences!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #50
krossfyah
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Asteria Blue

Is this still for sale? I am also interesting in purchasing for my 2016 X1
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #51
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Still available. Is the same part number for the 2014 28i and 35i? Price shipped to 01581.
Appreciate 0