XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-17-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Window tint, color protection coating, interior protection for AU$2495

I just got a call from my dealer offering AU$2,495 for window tint, color protection coating and interior protection (from the boot carpet, dash etc). They said they will install these before the delivery. If I do it later it will cost me few hundred dollars extra as they have to inspect the whole car before doing it. Also, they said they could negotiate with the price a bit. Individually they cost: $695 for tint, $1,695 for color protection coating & $1,395 for interior protection. Also, the color warranty that comes with new car only covers defect color, bubbles etc not the natural fading. Just wondering if its worth it. Any experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jay
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

I got the tinting only because it is a lease car, otherwise it would have got it done myself, however they did an excellent job. The rest I believe is a waste of money, and borderline snake oil, as it can be done by yourself by cleaning the interior, washing and waxing the exterior. Better yet, the money you save can go towards a pressure cleaner and detailing products to keep it looking good, which you would have to buy anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Total ripoff. All dealer installed protection is money out of your pocket and into theirs. Don't do it. You can get the tint job done cheaper and likely with better film by an independent.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Ditto on skipping the offer. Do the tinting yourself and take the car to be detailed once every couple of months or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Thanks guys for the suggestions.. ya will skip it. Will only get the tint done outside for less than half the price they are offering.. m planning to put some decals on here n there anyway to worry about putting colour protection
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
I just got a call from my dealer offering AU$2,495 for window tint, color protection coating and interior protection (from the boot carpet, dash etc). They said they will install these before the delivery. If I do it later it will cost me few hundred dollars extra as they have to inspect the whole car before doing it. Also, they said they could negotiate with the price a bit. Individually they cost: $695 for tint, $1,695 for color protection coating & $1,395 for interior protection. Also, the color warranty that comes with new car only covers defect color, bubbles etc not the natural fading. Just wondering if its worth it. Any experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jay
I do believe BMW accessories are way overpriced especially in Aust.
Where I am BMW used to send all it's cars out for tinting. They now have their own Tinting Dept., only at head office, that requires Special Techs./Mechanics to do Tinting.
They remove door trims and do to bottom of window the darkest legal colour with 99% UVA.
Also mentioned has airbag inside and needs slight modification.
You have to leave overnight to let dry and recheck before delivery. COST - Around AUD$900.
I intend to keep my X1 so will bite the bullet on the extra cost which by the way gives me extra quality, benefits and warranty.
Your AUD$695 maybe outside tinter with BMW mark up.
''Tint a Car'' quoted me around AUD$500 with 3 tint options. I don't know if they interfere with the door trim or not.
One of the other alternatives is to look at the ''Do it Yourself'' video's on the I/Net.
We ALL have different circumstances but we all have to know exactly what we are getting.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi jaeezzy,
Forgot to include.
As for Colour Protection Coating and Interior Protection. It's not worth it, only if you have money to burn. I'm sure anyone can look after the exterior/interior themselves.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTony View Post
COST - Around AUD$900.
UGH...the highest quality film you can buy would be less than $100 for your X1. So that means $800 for labor? WOW! Hope you get a free car wash with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Basically anything the dealer tries to sell you besides the car is a scam. This one seems much worse than most.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi HBWT & atomic,
I have covered the subject in my comments and totally understand what you are trying to say.
You have to pay for top quality here or find a way/settle for less to save money. We all would love cheaper options.
The cost of purchasing a BMW in Aust. and adding accessories is unbelievable.
Appreciate 0