XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-28-2015, 03:02 PM   #67
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

I wouldn't be so confident.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/vehic...gory=Car/Sedan
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:02 PM   #68
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

And the GT350 will spank any current BMW in terms of performance. M car or not. By the way folks, M Cars are based off the regular series cars. They are not anything special. Especially when you have to pipe in fake recorded noise, and your exhaust sounds like a lawn mower.
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #69
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
Yeah but not too many BMWs at Hertz
I travel and rent cars all the time. I can't think of the last time I DIDN'T see BMWs at all the airport car rental places. 3-series seems to be a staple of the luxury car rental market.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #70
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I travel and rent cars all the time. I can't think of the last time I DIDN'T see BMWs at all the airport car rental places. 3-series seems to be a staple of the luxury car rental market.
Ok I was just kidding , but in all seriousness have you gone and looked at the new mustangs lately? Seems like Ford has no quality control department. The trunk lines don't align, the gas tank cap doesn't flush with the body, you'll have to force it in, the stitching on the seats all crooked, the dash rattles, and I can go on and on... The car has got a great engine but when I buy a car it's not just the engine I'm looking for. It's the total package. I used to be a big Mustang guy in my younger days but gave up on the brand due to what I mentioned above. I'm not here to say BMW or other European brands don't have any faults, but they are much fewer than American brands. It's nice and dandy to praise the cars for the engine and the sound it makes, living with it on a day to day basis is a different story..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #71
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated ///M Power View Post
Great info. My son is the area manager for Enterprise and he says they have way fewer beamers than they have American cars namely Mustangs, Chargers, Camaroes. The have beamers because people who own them don't wanna be caught dead in an American car even as a rental. It's because of the demand. He says they actually lose money every time they rent a Beamer .
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #72
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
Here's what that driver had to say about it. Ben Collins, a former "Stig" from Top Gear. The first independent mini-review I've seen.

"It is an amazing vehicle, it’s got a fantastic grip, it’s super lightweight, 525 horsepower, but I really didn’t expect what I got. The amount of power surge you get is incredible so I had a lot of fun, had a big grin."

"this is another grade up, it’s weapons grade superpower."

"It’s got 525 horsepower, it’s as light as a squirrel. I don’t know what the weight is but it’s tiny. It’s got big wide tires on it. It’s the Michelin Pilot Cup Sports that are providing a lot of grip. It makes a fantastic sound and you can do all kinds of extreme things with it, you can turn the traction control completely off which is what I did and just have loads of fun."

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25517

This thing makes the M4 look like an absolute bore.
Thanks for the info. Didn't know it was Ben driving.

I have never owned an american car. But I want this car in bad way. It ticks every single box for a true car enthusiast.

I enjoy cars like this, because it outs every single closet badge whore.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #73
David9962000
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

I'm glad they still make real sports cars. Awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #74
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Ok I was just kidding , but in all seriousness have you gone and looked at the new mustangs lately? Seems like Ford has no quality control department. The trunk lines don't align, the gas tank cap doesn't flush with the body, you'll have to force it in, the stitching on the seats all crooked, the dash rattles, and I can go on and on... The car has got a great engine but when I buy a car it's not just the engine I'm looking for. It's the total package. I used to be a big Mustang guy in my younger days but gave up on the brand due to what I mentioned above. I'm not here to say BMW or other European brands don't have any faults, but they are much fewer than American brands. It's nice and dandy to praise the cars for the engine and the sound it makes, living with it on a day to day basis is a different story..
I'd never seen a 2015 Mustang up close, so after I saw you post this I just stopped by my neighborhood Ford dealer to see for myself. They had four 2015 Mustangs and every gas cap, trunk panel and stitch was about as perfect as I could imagine it being. Maybe the old generations (?), but certainly not the new ones. Do you have pictures of what you saw?

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 06-28-2015 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #75
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Huh? I rented the previous generation a few months back and none of those things were an issue. It was actually a much better car than I usually get, even when I get something of comparable size, due it's road manners. I felt safer with it's braking and accelerating capability as compared to a bottom-line midsize sedan. Much more livable. The AT was nothing to write home about, but still miles ahead of the trainwreck in the chrysler 200 I had a few weeks before. Sometimes I get a car that I absolutely abhor getting into and driving. That was not the case with the mustang.

I'm all for calling a crappy car crappy. The chrysler 200 was exactly that. I'm not for calling a car crappy just because it's american, because there are plenty that make that stereotype untrue.

Last edited by RM7; 06-28-2015 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #76
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Great info. My son is the area manager for Enterprise and he says they have way fewer beamers than they have American cars namely Mustangs, Chargers, Camaroes. The have beamers because people who own them don't wanna be caught dead in an American car even as a rental. It's because of the demand. He says they actually lose money every time they rent a Beamer .
If that were the case, they'd be losing money all the time, since a car sitting there not being rented is by definition, losing money.

Not sure if you know this, but there are easily as many japanese and korean cars in a rental fleet as there are american. Sometimes even lexus/acura/infiniti models.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:44 AM   #77
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I also saw youtube videos of owners complaining about build quality, can someone confirm?
      06-29-2015, 06:34 AM   #78
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Thanks for the info. Didn't know it was Ben driving.

I have never owned an american car. But I want this car in bad way. It ticks every single box for a true car enthusiast.

I enjoy cars like this, because it outs every single closet badge whore.
Basically, almost everyone on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #79
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
I'd never seen a 2015 Mustang up close, so after I saw you post this I just stopped by my neighborhood Ford dealer to see for myself. They had four 2015 Mustangs and every gas cap, trunk panel and stitch was about as perfect as I could imagine it being. Maybe the old generations (?), but certainly not the new ones. Do you have pictures of what you saw?
There is a video of an owner of a new one that just posted on UTube, don't have the address for it but I'm sue you can find it. It's his impression after two months of owning the car, eye opening.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #80
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If that were the case, they'd be losing money all the time, since a car sitting there not being rented is by definition, losing money.

Not sure if you know this, but there are easily as many japanese and korean cars in a rental fleet as there are american. Sometimes even lexus/acura/infiniti models.
Yes they are losing money on the BMWs and Mercedeses, not sure about Lexus or other ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #81
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Ugh... so much ignorance in this thread. Look, I'm a german car guy... my last 5 cars have been BMWs so you know where my passion sits.

THAT SAID, anybody who discounts the GT350R because its "just a Ford" is really missing out on what has the potential to be one of the greatest automotive gems of our life time.

This level of performance at this price point making those kinds of noises is something we should all celebrate.
Appreciate 4
      06-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #82
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Let's see, Ford's won LeMans, built the GT40 and GT, built a ton of F1 motors and BMW fans want to act like they're driving something special? Okay.
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #83
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Let's see, Ford's won LeMans, built the GT40 and GT, built a ton of F1 motors and BMW fans want to act like they're driving something special? Okay.
Yeah Ford may be great at LeMans and build good engines, but when it comes to mass production, the miss the boat either intentionally or not. Ive had a few Fords in my lifetime so it's not like I've never had any experience with them. Great engines but horrible interiors, suspensions, seats etc... If you are not after those things then Fords for you...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #84
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah Ford may be great at LeMans and build good engines, but when it comes to mass production, the miss the boat either intentionally or not. Ive had a few Fords in my lifetime so it's not like I've never had any experience with them. Great engines but horrible interiors, suspensions, seats etc... If you are not after those things then Fords for you...
Again, got to disagree. My degree covers the discipline of ergonomics and they have people that actually "get it" these days. To be fair, one of my professors was head of ergonomics at GM, but from what he taught us (by examples and testing), there was definitely a time when they just stuck with what they've always done and threw science out the window, but that time has passed. Most of their controls are ergonomically designed. That doesn't guarantee that everyone will like them or that they will work for everyone, but there are certain principles to follow for ergonomics, and there is a stark contrast between earlier cars and what they make now.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #85
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Again, got to disagree. My degree covers the discipline of ergonomics and they have people that actually "get it" these days. To be fair, one of my professors was head of ergonomics at GM, but from what he taught us (by examples and testing), there was definitely a time when they just stuck with what they've always done and threw science out the window, but that time has passed. Most of their controls are ergonomically designed. That doesn't guarantee that everyone will like them or that they will work for everyone, but there are certain principles to follow for ergonomics, and there is a stark contrast between earlier cars and what they make now.
I agree that they have come a long way and their cars are much better than ever ergonomically and such, but I'm afraid the quality of workmanship still years behind specifically German auto manufacturers. The example I referred to above is from a guy in Texas who adores Mustangs and had a review of his car after two months of ownership. It's a 2015, Mustang GT 5.0 with all the toys. Look it up for yourself.

Here is the link

Last edited by Ali Shiralian; 06-29-2015 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #86
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I agree that they have come a long way and their cars are much better than ever ergonomically and such, but I'm afraid the quality of workmanship still years behind specifically German auto manufacturers. The example I referred to above is from a guy in Texas who adores Mustangs and had a review of his car after two months of ownership. It's a 2015, Mustang GT 5.0 with all the toys. Look it up for yourself.

Here is the link
Here's a thread about a lemon M3. Does that mean BMW sucks and is years behind the quality and workmanship of Ford?

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1127200

Last edited by RM7; 06-30-2015 at 01:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:53 PM   #87
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Great engines but horrible interiors, suspensions, seats etc... If you are not after those things then Fords for you...
Have you even spent any time reading about the GT350R suspension? This car is not just about the engine.The seats are made by Recaro, basically one of the best in business. You seem very uninformed about this car, making silly general assumptions. This isn't a thread about "Fords", this is a thread about the insanely engineered GT350R.

It goes both ways. My buddy had to follow this ridiculous diy to fix rattles in his $85K M4, because the dealership was useless.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1031768

Last edited by hellrotm; 06-29-2015 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #88
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

yeah fit and finish complaints are rampant right now.... plenty right here at home at Bimmerpost. And look for 10 seconds in to the new C class which has been a fit and finish DISASTER with panels not fitting, seat finishes bleeding, electronic gremlins galore, strange suspension issues, crazy highway wind noise, etc...

Especially on a first model year car these complaints are par for the course and by no means isolated to Ford.
Appreciate 0