Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 Xdrive

DCS DCT when/when not to use...

Hey guys,

I don't want to open up a can of worms here, so not really looking for an engineering guide on how DSC/DCT works, I have a rough idea. I'm just looking for advice on when to use them and when not to use them in the real world and if they effect real world fuel mileage, handling dynamics etc.(often times bells and whistles aren't really needed in the real world, hence my post)

As I understand it, the X1 has DSC on by default with a low level DCT on in the background....

Question 1.
do these default systems inhibit spirited driving at all or is ok to leave them on when driving hard?
Question 2.
do these default systems use more fuel vs. turning them off.

As I undertand, pressing the DCT button, putting on "TRACTION" leaves on DSC but overrides the low level DCT and initiates a more aggressive traction control protocol...

Repeat the same questions as above....

Now if we hold the DCT button, both the DSC AND the DCT turn off, so essentially we're driving a normal dumb car....

Repeat same questions as above.

I have a hunch of what is going on but would just like to get some feedback
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Each model year seems to be different in some way.

As for my X1 s28i M sport which I tracked, I could turn off, but handling felt completely numb.

The reason is that many models have dynamic braking which in my case slams the brakes on inside rear to help corner.

When jumping on gas, it even felt like a little squirm and shoot like launch control.

As a compromise I put ceramic pads on rear which tones it down.

I don't think fuel mileage was ever compromised though, and I just leave it all the nannies on.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 09:22 PM   #3
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 Xdrive

Yeah, that's super interesting to hear about....I agree, it's basically model and year dependent given the insanely fast turn around in R&D with BMW....

So from further research and scouring youtube video's, seems like I had just a squeak wrong with regards to pressing the DCT button, seems like when you press that button, it doesn't necessarily provide a more aggressive traction control algorithm than the default, but it sets the algorithm limits higher...meaning, it allows for a bit more wheel spin before cutting power...that sort of makes sense in my experience as I seem to be able to get more spirited driving when DCT button is pushed (or DCT(default) off) or in this case, not necessarily off, but over-riden for higher parameter limits. From research, it also seems to be that these systems are designed and are mostly meant for on road use, given scenarios of light snow ice, coverage in the winter, or rain slicked in summer, they can proove useful to keep the vehicle in control....

but for off road use, seems to be the way to go is just taking all those "on road" safety systems completely off... when everything is off, you're completely in control in terms of how much power you want delivered to the wheels and how much you want to get it sideways etc....just like a normal car, more dangerous, but also more fun....BUT.....this also means better deep snow traction/climbing (video's on youtube that proove this).....

So in essence, it's sort of counter intuitive because when you think DCS and DCT, you automatically think they are meant for severe deep snow/heavy rain conditions but really they're not. They're mostly meant as safetly features for typical to slightly less than ideal, on-road driving conditions...

You're mentioning the DCS helping with steering, I agree that it's good for that. So maybe the ideal compromise is just pressing the DCT button (ie less aggresive DCT) and leaving the DCS on to help with cornering...

From what I can tell, the systems don't seem to affect gas consumption...

Last edited by Jonathan0880; 12-25-2019 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0