XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

10-13-2022, 01:01 PM   #1
bknyc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Emissions Test / Drive Cycle Question - How to do this in a city?

Hi - I really need help/advice on how to pass my emissions test.

I have a 2013 BMW X1. I've been unsuccessful at getting my inspection done because the monitors are not ready. I've read that this is a common problem, and the common solution is to run 1 - 5 drive cycles. I've seen the instructions for these as well. However, I'm wondering if there is any way to execute a drive cycle successfully when you live in a city like NYC. I won't be able to go from a cold start to maintaining speed without passing through several lights and stop signs, and even once on the highway, I'll be pretty lucky to be able to maintain speed. Any recommendations on how to do this? Do all of the steps have to be executed In exact order?

I also read that there may be a long way to get the monitors ready ... "drive 30 miles, park the car in idle for 30 minutes, and repeat this process for at least 3-4 times." But, I'm wondering if there are any more specific instructions for this process, as it is much more likely than me being able to execute a perfect drive cycle, let alone 5 of them.

For the record, I do have a OBD2 plug hooked up with the carscanner app on my phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 10:20 PM   #2
orca4wd
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, Z3M

Yes, I had a similar situation not pass DEQ after BMW performed an emission recall on ECU reflash. Due to city traffic condition, I was not able to follow exactly all the recommend drive cycle steps in internet. I tried it but found these steps next to impossible and ridiculous to perform. BMW engineers need to design an easier approach. Anyway, my vehicle eventually passed DEQ after a weekend 400+ miles road trip. Good luck and please share if you can find a better approach.
Appreciate 0