Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
SwiftCloud
Swift Cloud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28i USA

A month to fix new X1!!

As indicated in a separate thread, my 3 month old (5k miles) X1 had the engine malfunction indicator and rough / low power output. I immediately took it to the nearby service center.

It has been more than two weeks since they told me it needed two new fuel injectors. When I asked the cause and if they really should replace them all, they had no answer. Apparently there were no parts in the US. I was told it would take a week to get them -- so I called after a week and was told it would be another. It has now been almost three weeks. The service team was not reaching out with any updates until I connected with BMW North America.

The new estimate is 4 weeks!! They have no parts.

It is now getting to the point where I qualify for the lemon law refund in Massachusetts…

Any advice on:

(1) The failure (why, how many injectors should be replaced, long term implications, etc)?

(2) Getting BMW's attention?

(3) Lemon law refund benefits?

Thanks!!

Last edited by SwiftCloud; 02-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

MA state Lemon Law

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/consumer/a...lemon-law.html

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCloud View Post

(2) Getting BMW's attention?

(3) Lemon law refund benefits?

Thanks!!
Send THE lemon law letter to BMWNA after 15 days out of service and push for a refund of the total purchase price of the vehicle.
A copy of the letter to the repairing dealer would also be advised.
Be aware that this will likely result in a quicker response from all parties to fix your X1 but will will probably create a strained relationship with your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Frustrating, but I wouldn't say unreasonable as long as they gave you a decent loaner car. My SA is very easy to talk with and prefers to communicate through email but I wouldn't keep bugging him if he gave me a clear solution to the problem. It just takes time. A weekly check in seems reasonable though. Overall I wouldn't be stressed about any of this since you have adequate transportation, and the issue is getting fixed. What loaner did they give you?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Hi

My X1 has been at the dealers for 4 weeks tomorrow (Thu 14th). They've been trouble shooting and fixing a timing chain noise. It was fixed once last year, but re-occurred.

To start with no contact for roughly a week. In the 2nd week I was asked exactly what the noise was, which I had already explained. In the 3rd week was told BMW had Ok'd the repair with loads of new 'bits'. I then chased at the end of the 3rd week to be told they didn't have a spare bay to do the 2 day rebuild. Today I was told the repair is complete and the car is ready, which is just under 4 weeks in total.

I think they could have been a bit quicker, but they had some issues with getting BMW to authorise the repair as it had been repaired already, so fair play to them. Communication wasn't great but they did at least call me 3 out of the 4 weeks.

I've had use of a brand new 320d for the last 4 weeks, which apart from the low seating position, small wing mirrors and lack of steering feel is not a bad car. Fantastic iDrive system with cracking SatNav!

I totally understand your frustration as it's never nice to loose your car for so long (especially if it's really new), but as Transfer says above... the issue is getting fixed ...and that's what the warranty is for.

If you're not happy though, use the lemon thing as I'm sure that'll kick a few ar$es, or get you out of the ownership completely.

J.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
ifocus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sport Package

i had the same experience in Canada, X1 was at the dealer for 2 weeks waiting for a gasket. The car was pissing oil. The X1 drive is awesome but the BMW experience is less than stellar. This is my first bimmer and likely the last. I had other issues as well despite minor, run on flat tire are a pain, worn in less than 10,000 miles, front wheel had bad alignment out of the factory, etc....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Dealer fried the computer on my 335i a while back. I had to get new keys and everything. It took over a month. I didn't mind since they put me in a comparable loaner.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #8
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Just accept it and drift the hell out of your loaner, just like everyone does.
I drove a 1 series with 45k kms on it and the clutch was already completely worn :P
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
jph1
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 28i xdrive

I had a bad injector also. It took about 3 weeks to get one from Germany and get it in the car. Fortunately, the dealer was pretty good. Gave me good loaner cars. Nothing really to complain about. Still I was concerned that BMW wouldn't stock critical spare parts in the US. Or worse, that the injectors were problematic, and the part shortage was more due to massive failures in the field.
I was even thinking about selling it, being worried that reliability is an issue. But a couple of days ago, I had the day off, I took the car from San Jose to Yosemite and back, and that killed any thoughts of getting rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph1 View Post
I was even thinking about selling it, being worried that reliability is an issue. But a couple of days ago, I had the day off, I took the car from San Jose to Yosemite and back, and that killed any thoughts of getting rid of it.
      02-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Capionsfd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph1
I had a bad injector also. It took about 3 weeks to get one from Germany and get it in the car. Fortunately, the dealer was pretty good. Gave me good loaner cars. Nothing really to complain about. Still I was concerned that BMW wouldn't stock critical spare parts in the US. Or worse, that the injectors were problematic, and the part shortage was more due to massive failures in the field.
Who's your dealer? I'm in Hayward
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
jph1
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 28i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capionsfd View Post
Who's your dealer? I'm in Hayward
I took it into Fremont BMW (AutoWest BMW of Fremont)

Last edited by jph1; 02-15-2013 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
SwiftCloud
Swift Cloud
United_States
Rep

Got my car back today-four weeks after leaving it to be fixed.

Still waiting to hear what BMW is going to do to make me happy....
      02-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCloud View Post
Got my car back today-four weeks after leaving it to be fixed.

Still waiting to hear what BMW is going to do to make me happy....
What would be an amicable resolution for you? What about that makes you so upset besides being away from your car for a month?

Are you leasing? If so I would ask for them to pay one month lease payment. If you purchased, then you have indefinite amount of more time with the car. I would want them to fix it correctly and not rush it through. AND they gave you a loaner. I would have asked for an upgraded loaner. Then you'd be driving a nicer car then you purchsed anyway. So whats the problem?

When I got my e90 325i, it was one of the first in the country. A friend hit my door and it needed to be replaced. But there weren't any to be had. I had to drive a brand new car with a bashed in door for a month. It's a little different in that it was my friends fault and not a mechanical malfunction.

But the point is I think you are reaching. Let it go man....
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #15
SwiftCloud
Swift Cloud
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback - really.

Since it left me stranded, I want a bit more love from them and confidence in the product. Maybe an extension on my warranty...
      02-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
werobbinsjr
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cashmere Silver 2013 X1 X35i

My X1 35i X-line had an Engine Failure after 600 miles

My X1 35I experienced an engine failure after 600 miles. Metal shavings in the oil pan. BMW sent a new engine, its been installed, but still not ready for me to drive after a month. BMW recently told me that they are going to build me a new X1 to replace the current one. BMW also wants the bad engine back so they can find out what went wrong. Kind of a hassle, but I have a loaner and everybody at dealership has been great. Just waiting for my replacement.

Last edited by werobbinsjr; 02-28-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0