Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

10-03-2021, 01:08 PM   #1
thungerford
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 28i

Exhaust options

Hi guys,

Have been playing around trying to make my n20 x1 sound a bit better than stock because I found it to be way too muffled from the factory and quieter than most cars on the road. I had the rear muffler removed and put a small tailpipe muffler with dual tips welded in by an exhaust shop this spring....
Overall the car is a bit louder at idle (mostly when cold) and sounds pretty good in the midrange but at close to WOT it doesn't sound good because it makes almost a suction sound when the turbo hits peak boost.
wondering if anyone has played around with a custom exhaust on here... I know there are a couple of axle-back systems on the market but they are $1500-2000 so more than I want to spend.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
Blown95ImpalaSS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: s54 e36 m3/4/5

Sounds like you have an exhaust leak, or turbulence/whistling caused by the tips or the welds themself
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 02:04 PM   #3
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I've yet to come across a nice sounding n20 car. They all sound flabby and hollow. Still prefer the I6 engines in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #4
Naramie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Do you happen to have an intake as well?

My car sometimes makes that suction nose when I am accelerating after a complete stop, it's loud even though you aren't going moving fast. If I accelerate slowly, floor it or use Sport mode I never hear it. It seems to happen more when I use like 60-70% pedal force to accelerate after a complete stop. Also at high rpms when it shifts or I let off the gas it makes a whoosh noise almost like a blow off valve. I have an afepower intake and stock exhaust. When I open up the exhaust flap, the sound is more evident.
Appreciate 0