XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

01-03-2022, 10:59 PM   #1
kalaikanui
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

New X1 owner wheel conversion questions

Hey Bimmer fan's, I'm new to the forum and really appreciate all the information you all have posted regarding how to choose the correct wheels and tires to replace the run flats. However I haven't run across a discussion involving TPMS... does a 2014 e84 have a TPMS system? do I need to worry about this or just pick out the non run flats of my choice and forget about it?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 06:12 AM   #2
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 E84 X1 35i

There are more experienced and knowledgable people here than I, so perhaps I will be corrected, but I am 99% certain that all US years of the e84 (13-15) in both engines (28i and 35i) had the TPMS on the base models.

Your choice on non-RF tire does not impact the TPMS. If your choice of tire, or running multiple sets, requires a change of wheel, you will need to consider the TPMS monitors on each wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 10:37 AM   #3
orca4wd
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, Z3M

I can confirm my 2014 X1 came with a physical TPMS sensor on each wheel. Last year, I replaced all the run-flat with regular tire, removed the sensors, then disabled the TPMS by coding out using NCS expert tool. This way I don't have to deal with changing battery on each sensor later.

BMW E84 has another built-in FTM (Flat Tire Monitor) system which I enabled which still monitor air pressure but is not as accurate as the TPMS. Personally, I prefer the simpler FTM system. You can read about this FTM in the DYI section by search on TPMS.

Last edited by orca4wd; 01-04-2022 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:30 PM   #4
kalaikanui
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Thanks for the quick feed back guys! Guess I need to do some more homework on TPMS sensors.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 10:19 AM   #5
Botlfed98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca4wd View Post
I can confirm my 2014 X1 came with a physical TPMS sensor on each wheel. Last year, I replaced all the run-flat with regular tire, removed the sensors, then disabled the TPMS by coding out using NCS expert tool. This way I don't have to deal with changing battery on each sensor later.

BMW E84 has another built-in FTM (Flat Tire Monitor) system which I enabled which still monitor air pressure but is not as accurate as the TPMS. Personally, I prefer the simpler FTM system. You can read about this FTM in the DYI section by search on TPMS.

how difficult is this to do?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 11:20 AM   #6
orca4wd
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botlfed98 View Post
how difficult is this to do?

The difficulty is to config/load/learn the NCS tool. There are lots of information via internet on this topic. I got the idea after reading the article in this forum from Improvius (Thanks) in the DYI section. You can do a search by 'Quest to disable TPMS (and activate FTM) COMPLETED' to learn more.
Appreciate 0