XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

03-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
VitaminXX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 525i

Has anyone done factory interior LED light?

Hi

Has anyone done factory interior LED light? Is it difficult? My local dealer told me that some of the interior light base has to be modified.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
abishek22
Rep
Drives: coming soon

Check the attached PDF for part nos
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmw.pdf (104.7 KB, 5117 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
VitaminXX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 525i

Thanks. I asked an ebay seller, he said this LED is not for X1. @@
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
jackinbc
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

Your ebay seller is wrong - the BMW LED bulbs will work in all interior lights except for the cargo area. 5 bulbs are required to do the front dome light and two map lights and hte two rear passenger area lights. The only hard part is removing the rear light covers. Place a flat scredriver into the slot at hte foront of the lens between the lens and hte ceiling headliner - as you push it in pull hte lens down fromt eh fornt. There is a spring clip that must be pushed towards the back to release the lens. When I tried the entire assembly actaully came out ie the lamp holder, lens and black metal surround that should remain captive in the ceiling. Just separate the two parts and then place the black surround back into the ceiling and bend the retaining clips back into place. For the cargo area try this link http://www.bimmian.ca/ I just received the cargo light, it fits right in and is a lot brighter. I actually bought two and cut a second hole on the right side in the same realtive postion and identical size as the factory installed left one. Ran some wires under the cargo area from the left light and now have a much brighter cargo area.\Jack
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
RDM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 Comp xDrive

Garage List
I purchased and installed the BMW LED 10 Set (even cargo). The interior looks better now!
Attached Images

Last edited by RDM3; 02-05-2013 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Hi RDM3

Did you manage to change the blubs without too much hassle and did it take long? Thinking about this mod for my X1 as the old yellow blub light just looks old fashioned now.

J.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
RDM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Cargo light and the foot rest lights - Easy.
Front and the reading lights - Moderate.
Rear seat lights - Moderate but it was easier after I read JACKINBC's post(above my post).

If you need more information please let me know.
      02-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

What is the expected lifespan of the OEM LEDs?
      02-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ordered a 10 set today. Should be ready for pickup on Thursday, so I'll try and install on Saturday with a few pics.

J.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've now finished the LED mod, and what a difference it makes to the car a night! So much brighter inside the car which now matches the under door handle puddle lights. Going to take some getting use to, but I'm really happy with it.

I took some pics as I changed the bulbs and made a note of a couple of things to watch out for, but my bl**dy camera is not being recognised by my PC's USB sockets, so got to fix that. Infact nothing is being recognised on the USB sockets

I'll get the pics up via my laptop when I can.

J.

Last edited by fdpxfunix; 03-03-2013 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Final got the pics off my camera, so here we go…

1) These are the tools I used, and yes that's one of my daughter’s rulers. I did also use a small pair of needle nose pliers...

2) This is what I'm installing. BMW OEM 10 pack LED light upgrade. 6 bulbs for the dome lights, 2 for the front foot well lights and 2 spares...

3) The round blub with the lens is for the domes, and the flat one for the foot well...

4) Behold the front dome light assembly...

5) Insert a flat bladed screwdriver in-between the frosted lens cover and the dome surround. Be careful as you can damage the plastic. I only used the screwdriver to open the gap a little and then slid the ruler in to pull apart. If you lever the ruler up you'll feel the cover come away from the surround and make a ‘click’ sound. Carry on doing this across the front of the cover until it pops out. Again be careful to hold on to the cover to stop it falling on something…

6) Here's the dome with the standard bulbs and black map reading light directors in place…

7) Remove the black map reading directors by giving them a wiggle and a pull. There’s a knack to getting them out which I found easier if you try to turn them as you pull. At this stage you can also remove the standard blubs. The middle one is easy, but I found the 2 map reading blubs easier to get out with some needle nose pliers covered in a rag or cloth…

8) Insert the LED blubs. The LED blubs had larger contacts than the standard blubs, so you may have to push a little harder to get them in. They do fit though and are made easier to fit by the flat lens covers. You just use your thumb and press up…

9) Testing, testing, and testing. I had no problems with the polarity on these blubs as they worked either way round, but check when you’re doing it…

10) Before you put the map reading directors back on, make sure they’re fitted correctly. They can be fitted slightly off centre which then causes the frosted lens cover to not fit correctly. Just try and keep them centred as you push them into the hole and you’ll hear a little click. The frosted lens cover is best put back on by starting at the back. Get the cover into the same angle as in picture 5 and press up at the back. Then push the whole lens cover up to where it should be and then press firmly at the front. You’ll press the light buttons in as you’re doing this, but don’t worry as you need to make the cover click back into place. If it looks to be a bit proud, then take it off and check those map reading directors! I had to do this a couple of times before I realised what was going on. The finished article…

11) Moving on to the foot well. This is the passenger side (please excuse my wifes boot marks!)…

12) Using a flat bladed screwdriver at one of the short ends of the lens, lever it away from its housing. Pull the rest of the lens out so you can work with it…

13) Twist the lens (or blub mount) until they can be separated and just pull out the standard bulb…

14) Insert the LED blub, but make sure the actual light part of the blub finishes facing outwards toward the frosted part of the lens cover when you twist them back together. I guess you could do it either way, but I’m sure you’ll get more light into the foot well if you use my method. Once the blub is back in the lens push one side of the lens back into its housing and then press firmly on the other to pop it back into place. The drivers side light is in a slightly different position, but the same fitting method applies...

And that as they say is that! Apart from the map reading directors giving me some grief, the only other thing was one of the dome blubs had a very slightly blue tint, whereas the other 5 were very white. All I did was make sure the blue tinted one went into one of the rear map reading lights, which are not going to get used much. I really could not be bothered to take the kit back to BMW for one blub!

Took me about 2 hours in all, but I did have to take the domes apart again when I found the blue tinted bulb, I did spend some time cleaning the lens covers and reflectors in the domes and of course taking these pics

I’ll upload some night pics when I get a chance.

Hope someone finds this useful. It's a really easy mod and transforms the interior at night. Just a shame the glove box and vanity lights now look totally sh*t. I'll be on the look out for some decent festoon LED blubs now

J.

Last edited by fdpxfunix; 03-04-2013 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Thanks for the write up. I need to add these to my to do list.

It's too bad my x1 didn't come with any footwell lights
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
PFol310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i en route

Nice write up
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
superbogel
B1990BB
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW E84 + F10

saving this as a reference and purchasing the bulb 1st
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
qaz393
Private
Rep
Drives:

whats the part number?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #16
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi

On the box it has the numbers 63 12 2 212 788 and the title "BMW Interior Lighting Package LED - Set Of 10".

I had a look on the website but could not find a part number against the item. You should be able to find the set on eBay, but any BMW parts department will know what you need.

J.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
qaz393
Private
Rep
Drives:

Wondering if i should oem or get after market big panel custom fit leds....
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #18
taxpro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive35i, 2001 540iA

Garage List
Why upgrade the interior lights with the LED light kit? Does it provide extra bright light? Don't the stock bulbs provide enough light? Or is the purpose aesthetic, as in, it looks cool? R is their an energy saving purpose? Or is their another reason?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
KaKiT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xLine

Cool mod, btw:

do u have pics from before in the dark when the door is closed?
      08-31-2013, 04:28 AM   #20
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi

Taxpro...

The LED upgrade is much brighter than the standard yellow bulbs. There were 2 reasons I carried out the upgrade;

1) I have LED puddle lamps in the door handles that did not match the colour of the interior lights. It just looked odd with bright white light outside the car and yellow inside.

2) I owned an Audi A1 briefly before the X1 that had interior LED 'mood' lighting. I had also driven a lot of newer 1 series and 3 series with LED lighting. I just liked the bright light in the cabin as it felt and looked more modern than the yellow bulbs.

I was on a UK cross channel ferry a few weeks ago. Where we parked on the car deck was reasonably dark, so the LED lighting worked really well. So much so I even had people looking at the car.

KaKIT...

I don't have any pre mod pictures. The interior lighting was dull before the mod, but is now bright. It's probably not to everyone's taste, but I like it and it matches my puddle lamps in the door handles.

J.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Hey guys,

I am still expecting delivery of my X1 but I'm going ahead of my research to do some painless modding. I'll definitely be replacing the interior lights with LEDs but I want to make a complete replacement. My question is is there lights on the bottom of the front and rear doors (like the ones on the e90)? If so what type are they: Festoon like in the glove (?? mm) or Wedge Type 194 T10 like the footwell?

So far I have found the following bulb types:

3 x part# 194 (T10) FRONT DOME/MAP
4 x part# 194 (T10) REAR DOME/MAP
2 x part# 194 (T10) FOOTWELL
2 x part# 6411 41mm VISOR/VANITY
1 x part# 6411 41mm TRUNK
1 x part# 6418 36mm GLOVE

I gues there is no genuine LEDs for the visor, trunk and the glove box. So I will be ordering those from some of the other vendors. Any recommendations for quality products?

Last edited by d1saster; 09-04-2013 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
FLX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 28i

OK, here's what may be a dumb question - are the LED interior lights included as part of any of the packages when you build a car? If so, which package(s)?
Appreciate 0