Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Looking to purchase next year... common issues?

Hi everyone!

I currently drive a 2009 328i xDrive coupe and we're looking to purchase an X1 to replace my fiancee's car sometime next year. I'm looking to get the X1 xDrive28i with the 8sp automatic transmission. Alternatively, we may end up with a newer F30 328i xDrive sedan, but I'm personally leaning heavily towards the X1. She said she'd take my car if she ends up not liking the X1 which I'm actually very much okay with.

I had an X1 as a loaner vehicle when my car was in for service earlier this year and found that I really enjoyed it, so I don't need convincing on whether this is the right car for me or not.

What I'm wondering though is if the car has any common issues that have popped up for any of you here. I know the car is relatively new as is the engine/transmission, so maybe there haven't been many problems so far, but I figured online forums would be the best place to go to find out if there's anything I should look out for.

This is a car that is going to be purchased with the intent of keeping it for a long, long time. Probably going to start with a low mileage CPO vehicle if we can find one.

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone around here tried or know someone who tried BMW Select financing? How does the total cost come out vs. regular financing?

Thanks!
      11-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
Dirtyduc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

I haven't noticed any issues at all. But the one issue that does get me is how much it sounds like diesel. And at start up it doesn't sound the greatest. I have had people comment on this. Other than that I love the car!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

As far as I am aware, there are no significant common issues. One very small common issue is the creaking noise caused by the expansion/shrinkage of the plastic in the radio dash area, due to changes in temperatures. It is particularly noticeable in warmer temperatures than in cooler temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
Hi everyone!

I currently drive a 2009 328i xDrive coupe and we're looking to purchase an X1 to replace my fiancee's car sometime next year. I'm looking to get the X1 xDrive28i with the 8sp automatic transmission. Alternatively, we may end up with a newer F30 328i xDrive sedan, but I'm personally leaning heavily towards the X1. She said she'd take my car if she ends up not liking the X1 which I'm actually very much okay with.

I had an X1 as a loaner vehicle when my car was in for service earlier this year and found that I really enjoyed it, so I don't need convincing on whether this is the right car for me or not.

What I'm wondering though is if the car has any common issues that have popped up for any of you here. I know the car is relatively new as is the engine/transmission, so maybe there haven't been many problems so far, but I figured online forums would be the best place to go to find out if there's anything I should look out for.

This is a car that is going to be purchased with the intent of keeping it for a long, long time. Probably going to start with a low mileage CPO vehicle if we can find one.

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone around here tried or know someone who tried BMW Select financing? How does the total cost come out vs. regular financing?

Thanks!
I have had mine since July (2014 X1 35i xDrive). I used BMW select financing and like it very much. A low 2.99% interest rate and about 25% balloon payment at the end of five years. So it saves me about $200 or so a month which helps free up money for other things.
If its a long termer I would pay the extra to get all the options you want. Only issue I have is they are STILL working on iPhone 5/5s compatibility for the snap in "connect" adaptor.
Otherwise, just took it skiing and our skis fit through the center pass through seat nicely (I like my stuff in the car) and it is a lot more convenient than the sedan for cargo, high road view, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Rattles, though annoying, are admittedly not much of a concern for me. I consider them to be an inevitability. Granted, my car has very little or no noticeable rattling which surprises me given the crappy roads I drive on all the time. Though now that I've said that it will start rattling like the Millennium Falcon navigating an asteroid field over the next few days.

I'm glad though that the car seems to be mechanically sound so far where it matters most. BMW Select seems like the best route to go given the flexibility it offers for lower payments to start and then the option to refinance at the end. My concern is the overall cost vs. traditional financing though, so I may need to talk to a sales associate about that.

Otherwise, I'm open to learning more if others have anything else to add! Thanks again to those who have responded so far!