XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

02-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Microsft versus Apple? Help

I have an opportunity to buy either a Microsfot Surface Pro 3 or a MacBook Pro. They both an very similiar specs. I have a couple of iPad's and an iMac already as well as a couple of Windows Laptops.

The question is what would you buy? The Surface Pro 3 or the MacBook Pro?

This would be for personal use at home and the kids would not be using this one.

Thanks,
      02-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
On the practicality side, if you have a couple of iPads and a couple of laptops, it's kinda hard to say since you already have equivalents. However, it depends on your intended purpose; MS Surface is a tablet with a detachable keyboard and advertised as a "laptop replacement", and one is a laptop without touchscreen.

If you do more media production (e.g. DJ, audio/video/graphic editing), use more intensive apps (e.g. gaming), or have a knack for Mac OS, then I'd say go with the Macbook since it has more processing power, but you wouldn't have the touchscreen capabilities... But it also has the Continuity feature with your iPad and if you have an iPhone, that as well, which even as a die-hard Windows and Android fanatic, this feature alone is tempting me to sway over (but note: The other iDevices you have may need to be the latest and greatest on this list).

If you want versatility where you have the look and feel of a laptop but can still be as portable as a tablet, then go with the Surface, but I highly recommend getting the Intel i5 + 256 GB storage (for 8GB RAM) or above to make the speed at least on par with your average desktop, but otherwise it's every bit as practical as getting a new laptop.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Yeah that's a tough call. Just depends how much you currently like the OSX ecosystem and if you watch a straight laptop or a touchscreen/tablet/laptop thingy.

For work and personal I have to use windows, mac and linux.
  • Between Windows and Mac, if gaming isn't a concern, I'd go with a mac but again, it's just an issue of preference.
  • Between a Laptop or a Surface, I'd probably go with the Laptop just because I also have other tablets and whenever I've used a Surface it's mainly been skipping right past the touch screen stuff to get to the "regular windows" interface. But if I needed an "All in one" solution and no longer wanted separate devices to fulfill the role of laptop and tablets, I may very well be interested in a Surface.

Here's a quote from ZDNET. I think more than anything, you have to figure out which of these opinions more closely reflects how you see the Surface.

Quote:
Summary: In the month since its launch, these 12 reviewers from top tech sites reviewed the Surface Pro 3. One called it "the best everything device ever made." Another called it "the greatest laptop-tablet hybrid you don't need."

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Neither. I'd get a Yoga before either of them.
Appreciate 0