XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Parking brake question

I've recently been parking in a driveway with a small incline so I use the parking brake. When I park I hold my foot on the brake firmly, put the car into park and then pull the parking brake handle up 2 clicks. I reverse the procedure when I go out, foot firmly on the brake, release the parking brake then put the car in reverse. Sometimes the transmission shifts into reverse smoothly and sometimes it seems labored or makes a clank noise. Any ideas on what I may do different or why sometimes it reacts like this.

PS: When i engage the parking brake I pull it up 2 clicks, should I be pulling it 3 clicks or may that be too much and stretch the parking brake cable. The owners manual does not specify how many clicks are required or proper.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Well, it pretty much depends on the inclination, but I do believe that two clicks is not enough, however depends on the usage as well, some cars are concrete at two clicks, some are barely holding at five....
Since is a new car, you should be ok, but you can check by puting it in Neutral and try two clicks on the same hill, if is moving, then is not enough.
If you don't pull it accordingly it is like you didn't use it.

Anyway, in your case, I don't think you pulled the handbrake enough to lock the car, so it was using the transmission gear to stay in place. When the handbrake is not pulled enough or you release it without puting the foot firmly on the brake first, the clank noise is normal since the gears are the ones that are doing the hardwork keeping the car in place, so they need to work harder to disengage from that tight position.

In the hill, always pull the handbrake until it feels tight enough.

Last edited by Teutonic; 07-31-2013 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

You should pull the hand brake up until it is tight, but not use all your strength, try it in neutral, car should not roll back.

A note for hand brake adjustment is if you roll back gently and pull the hand brake on, it will adjust the hand brake. Usually need to repeat two or three times. Don't over do it, you want two to four clicks for full engagement.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

The number of clicks is irrelevant - that changes over time with wear. It should be pulled up to the at least the next step after where it offers resistance, whether that is two clicks or seven.
If you have to use both hands to release it, you've pulled it way too hard.
Appreciate 0