XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Call to action: who else did not get paddle shifters?

After reading here that some people didn't get paddle shifters despite having ordered the M package I asked my sales person who says he checked with BMW AG and that indeed my car won't have them either (when I pick it up at the welt in less than 2 weeks, it's being built right now).

Needless to say I'm rather pissed off about this, because I do use the paddles all the time in my current car and it certainly was a crucial factor in my getting that package in the first time.

Who else is in the same situation as me? Did anyone in the US actually get a car with the paddle shifters? (and if so, what spec did you order exactly?).

It also seems that yelling at the dealer may not get us very far (they have sold the car and taken our $ already after all) and that we may have to escalate things directly with BMW NA and AG if we want something to happen about this.

I'm no lawyer but in my business if you tell a customer that your product (software in my case) will have some feature and if when the customer buys the product that feature is not present in the product then it's a Sarbanes-Oaxley compliance failure and you can not recognize the revenue from the sale for that quarter. Assuming that BMW is a publicly listed company, this could be an argument to use with them to get them to actually do something about this...

Maybe if a bunch of us coordinate together we can get further than trying to complain individually.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
MoxNix
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i MSport

If the VIN has not been assigned you can change your order- two week suntil delivery means it may not have been assigned.

Additionally, how diod the dealer take your money w/out a VIN assigned?
2006 HP2 Enduro
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not sure where the VIN comes in to play here. I have a VIN, the car was ordered with M package (which according to the description of the packages from BMW NA includes the wheel with paddle shifters), and even if I go to BMW USA's web site to track my car it does list:

Your X1 xDrive28i Selected Options

M Sport Line
M steering wheel
M Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters
High-gloss Roof Rails
Performance Control
Increased top speed limiter
Sport suspension
Aerodynamic kit
Anthracite headliner
Sport seats
Shadowline exterior trim
Chrome-line exterior trim
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just to make the point more clear, this is what I get when I go to track my car on BMW's web site, I even highlighted the part where it says "steering wheel with paddle shifters", and yet I am told my car won't be coming with them (like others here).

Do you think that's normal? I don't!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

I was told that I was the only compliant and the web site was right...... BMW is stupid! simple as that! call them raise hell
      09-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

You guys need to get together and seek resolution. This is utterly ridiculous. It's disgusting how nonchalant the dealers are about it too. Hey you just paid $45k for a car that was advertised as coming with something, and it didnt come with it...well thats just how the factory made it, sorry.

Frankly, I wouldnt take delivery of the car and would have immediately escalated to BMW USA.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Yeah, this is messed up. It's a cop-out that they can't do a retro-fit. Looking over the parts schematics, the only differences are the wheel and perhaps the switching center and maybe a re-programming. There are no separate versions of instrument cluster wiring harness or main wiring harness (except for heated wheel which doesn't apply here).

Sounds to me as if they just don't want to go through the expense...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep

Call BMW and ask for Tina Gunn thats the woman you need to speak too as its the customer relations person that was dealing with me. Trust me this is who to ask for as I want here to hear from others as she thinks I'm the only one with the problem!!!!!

I was Quoted I was the only one one complaining and this was normal operations for BMW. The dealer should have known.....What How the hell should the dealer know that you wanted paddle shifters or without when the only option stated WITH paddle shifters??????? I clocked 9 hrs on the phone with these DUMB asses and I will get reimbursed for my time and the wrong ordering process ! Its total bull shit along with the dash board crap as they now have an excuse for that ..... I said Hell I could have gone and bought a freaking KIA and saved 35k !

Last edited by BEAMERBOI; 09-18-2012 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
Exactly^...

Happened to me several times.

I simply stated that is not the car I ordered & walked out. When they called me later in the day, reeling from their embarrasment & confusion, I simply asked for my money back. That they had wasted my time & didn't even call me beforehand to notify me... thinking their mistake was acceptable.

I don't have time to deal with noise & unprofessional static.. Or, have the time to deal with a Dealership who is unwilling to resolve their own error/wrong doing.

In this case, if the dealer doesn't immediatly offer to retro fit a steering wheel w/paddles, ..... walk out!

It certainly isn't the car you ordered, ... is it?
Exactly.

FWIW, a dealer today told me that the M package deletes the paddles, and they aren't offered with the M pkg period, need to get the x-line pkg.

This is some of the stuff that makes me HATE buying a BMW. They are so elitist, from corporate to dealer to (no offense) often driver. This situation is mind boggling - it says it on the site, it says it in the brochure, it shows it in the pictures, it says it on the order form....yet you're still going to look me in the face and not accept responsibility?

Escalate to senior BMW leadership. This is disgusting.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAMERBOI View Post
Call BMW and ask for Tina Gunn thats the woman you need to speak too as its the customer relations person that was dealing with me. Trust me this is who to ask for as I want here to hear from others as she thinks I'm the only one with the problem!!!!!

I was Quoted I was the only one one complaining and this was normal operations for BMW. The dealer should have known.....What How the hell should the dealer know that you wanted paddle shifters or without when the only option stated WITH paddle shifters??????? I clocked 9 hrs on the phone with these DUMB asses and I will get reimbursed for my time and the wrong ordering process ! Its total bull shit along with the dash board crap as they now have an excuse for that ..... I said Hell I could have gone and bought a freaking KIA and saved 35k !
Stop paying them... If you havent paid in full.
      09-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Exactly.

FWIW, a dealer today told me that the M package deletes the paddles, and they aren't offered with the M pkg period, need to get the x-line pkg.
Wow, this is quite ridiculous why would you not offer the paddle shifter wheel on the 'sports' package and only offer it on the 'comfort' package?? They are just saying what ever they can to try and get you to go away.

Even then, we ordered a car that listed a feature and it does not (will not) come with it.

As for 'walking away', unfortunately not an option for me: I'm doing European Delivery in less than 2 weeks from now, already bought the plane tickets, hotels around Europe, taken the time off, etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

paying 45g+ for the X1 and not getting paddle shifters when ordered, and on top of that getting shit from BMW dealers about it is way beyond what anyone should have to deal with..If i ordered paddle shifters(IMO is a must on the X1) and i showed up at the closing and they were not on the vehicle or if i was told they would not retro-fit the car than i would get my deposit back and be very VERY upset and walk out. On top of that if the dealership refused to retrofit any car that was ordered with paddle shifters i would return the car or call a lawyer..this is so bush league that i can not believe we are even discussing something so stupid...come on BMW and BMW dealers stop being the Ultimate ass holes and treat someone who just friggin spent 45g on a car like they are pieces of shit...this is very upsetting even for someone like me who is not even buying the X1....
      09-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
That particular dealer is wrong. His response is probably based on what he saw on the configurator, which doesn't allow you to select the paddles, although it should. He has access to the order guide, and he needs to use it. I didn't see the order guide myself until after my car was built, but both steering wheel options are on there. And shame on BMW for still not correcting the configurator. Word of mouth will ensure a select few buyers get the paddles, but the vast majority of customers are going to do exactly what I did until somebody fixes the configurator and the standard equipment list.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I filed a complaint with Rachel at BMW of North America. I encourage everyone to CALL AND COMPLAIN.

I've spoken to Motive Mods and they said they can retrofit them, but it's a $1000+ deal since we have to buy a new steering wheel with the paddle shift cutouts.

I'm going to see if BMW will at least credit me one or two payments to cover the cost of the mods.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 09-18-2012 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I filed a complaint with Rachel at BMW of North America. I encourage everyone to CALL AND COMPLAIN.

I've spoken to Motive Mods and they said they can retrofit them, but it's a $1000+ deal since we have to buy a new steering wheel with the paddle shift cutouts.

I'm going to see if BMW will at least credit me one or two payments to cover the cost of the mods.
1+
      09-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

What is Rachel's email & phone number?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have also contacted BMW USA (through the 1800 customers relations number listed on the web site) to complain about this, and I encourage everyone else in the same situation to do it as well.

From the reaction (person on the phone put me on hold for less than 1 minute to check with someone else and came back with a polite answer of "we're looking into this and will contact you back soon") I got the impression that I'm indeed not the only one complaining about this.

I personally believe that the dealers will NOT be able to help us in this and that we need to complain directly to BMW about this. They are after all victim of this configuration/package definition error just as much as we the customers are.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #18
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Is Law helping us prevail here?
      09-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #19
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

What a dumbass dealer to say M Sport deletes paddle shifters, its called M Sport for a reason McFly. M Sport owners would want it probably more than anyone.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

It's really an issue with the dealer not ordering it right (due to it being confusing). My X1 that's coming has paddles on it, but I had to specify in the computer when ordering.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #21
allenderb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1974 , 2002

I walked away from my car and made them order a new car, now will have to wait another 2 months or more to see if they get it correct the second time.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #22
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep

You can also ask for a Tina Gunn as she is the one who thinks I'm crazy but id like to prove her wrong... well i may be a little crazy in the head realistically LOL