Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Advice needed

2014 X1 28i X-line

Since I have had the X1 (5 months) there have been constant creaking noises that come and go from the entire hard plastic area of the dash. If you touch lightly on any of the hard plastic of the dash you get a creaking noise. A much louder and prominent one started a few weeks ago dead center of the steering wheel. I had it at the dealer last week and they could not find a cause. Went back today and did the same thing with 2 others X1's (touch the hard plastic of the dash) and they where both solid, no creaking noise. One was on the showroom floor and one was a loaner with 3K miles. because I was able to compare mine with the 2 others the service manager has acknowledged that there is a problem with my X1. He is going to talk to BMW about the problem and I have an appointment for next week to drop it off. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how was it resolved.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I heard my X1 dash pop once while on Euro delivery, but if it kept doing it, I'd spray detail the hell out of the dash near the glass.

Dash will need some occasionally anyway, and might lube the plastic in the back that's probably the pop.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

I took mine in for Oil Service 3 weeks ago and told them about the creaking. It was coming from the area shown in the pic. The applied some sort of lube to it(as a first attempt to remedy) before taking stuff apart and sliding Teflon tape between the parts. I was confident that it would not work or that it would be very short lived. It's been 3 weeks and still no creaking...no telling how long it will last. I'm not sure what kind of lube they used but had I tried to fix it myself I would have used TriFlow Dry lube

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Dry_Lubricant/dry.html

Arrows indicate areas where I stuck paper between the plastic parts to temporarily curb the creaking.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

Mine's a cold weather creaker. No creaking this summer but now that the temperature is below 60° F the creak has returned!
Appreciate 0