Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #111
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
That's cool, my M Coupe was a convertible according to Allstate. I never found the button to put the top down.
Maybe they couldn't believe anyone would pass up the good looks and fun of the convertible version.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #112
Van1
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Why do you want it to be an SUV so badly?
Why do you want it to be a hatch so badly?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #113
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
+1

The X1 is a wagon, I'm not sure why one would argue otherwise.
BMW is calling it an SAV (which is BMW speak for SUV). But who cares what you call it. It has a higher seating position than a regular wagon, so that's why I like it.

As I mentioned in my last post, that is the main reason I wanted an SUV. I care little about the storage space and seating capacity. If they made an even smaller 2-seater that had a high seating position and AWD for the winter, I'd probably get that one. So a regular wagon is the total opposite of what I want, but yet you are telling me that's what my car is. A regular wagon has the same low seating position as a regular car, but just has the expanded cargo capacity of an SUV. I looked in my trunk tonight, and there doesn't seem to be much more storage space back there than my dad's Prius.

Take that M coupe, raise it up about 6 inches to give it more ground clearance along with a higher seating position, style it like a mini X4/X6, and then give it AWD with all season tires, and that would be the perfect car for me. Unfortunately no such car currently exists, so instead I have my X1.

For me, smaller = better.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #114
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van1 View Post
Why do you want it to be a hatch so badly?
Because that is what it is. Even mini-suv's like the RAV-4, CRV, and Hyundai Santa-Fe tower over. A PT Cruiser was parked in front of me and it was pretty much the same shape, size and clearance. Also my windows are lower than that of a Toyota Camry. All these suggest not an SUV at all. Actually there is nothing to suggest an SUV. The seating isn't higher. I guess if you move your seat all the way up it might be but if you put it in the lowest position it is definitely car like.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #115
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Actually there is nothing to suggest an SUV
You're 100% correct. It's an SAV...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #116
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Because that is what it is. Even mini-suv's like the RAV-4, CRV, and Hyundai Santa-Fe tower over. A PT Cruiser was parked in front of me and it was pretty much the same shape, size and clearance. Also my windows are lower than that of a Toyota Camry. All these suggest not an SUV at all. Actually there is nothing to suggest an SUV. The seating isn't higher. I guess if you move your seat all the way up it might be but if you put it in the lowest position it is definitely car like.
So you've never had a sports car? The seating is higher than our old 1er, which was very tall for a sporty car, and the X1 is higher. The CX5 seating position is very nearly the exact same, and it's quite clearly an SUV.

I'm guessing you feel the Forester is a big wagon too? If you want to see it as a wagon, that's cool, but ask your friends, family or just the next person you see at the gas station what it is, it won't be a wagon.

This whole argument reminds me of things like the CLS and 6GC being called coupes. The only people that believe that are the ones who own them, all others know that they're sedans.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #117
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
You're 100% correct. It's an SAV...
Made up term by BMW that means nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #118
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So you've never had a sports car? The seating is higher than our old 1er, which was very tall for a sporty car, and the X1 is higher. The CX5 seating position is very nearly the exact same, and it's quite clearly an SUV.

I'm guessing you feel the Forester is a big wagon too? If you want to see it as a wagon, that's cool, but ask your friends, family or just the next person you see at the gas station what it is, it won't be a wagon.

This whole argument reminds me of things like the CLS and 6GC being called coupes. The only people that believe that are the ones who own them, all others know that they're sedans.
I don't know about the Forester but I have driven the Outback and that is a wagon. And it is bigger than the X1 and has more off-road capability. Yeah a coupe has 2 doors. SUV's are higher than other cars and are off-road capable. The X1 isn't even close to being a cross-over. For some reason you want it to be an SUV. And that is why BMW markets it as an SAV instead of putting wagon or hatchback on the title as it know you guys wouldn't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #119
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about the Forester but I have driven the Outback and that is a wagon. And it is bigger than the X1 and has more off-road capability. Yeah a coupe has 2 doors. SUV's are higher than other cars and are off-road capable. The X1 isn't even close to being a cross-over. For some reason you want it to be an SUV. And that is why BMW markets it as an SAV instead of putting wagon or hatchback on the title as it know you guys wouldn't buy it.
Haha, we went to buy an F31, but didn't like the size. I owned an M Coupe. Yeah, you found me out, I don't like wagons. I just don't currently own one. You do. Ours are even the same color. Carry on.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #120
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Haha, we went to buy an F31, but didn't like the size. I owned an M Coupe. Yeah, you found me out, I don't like wagons. I just don't currently own one. You do. Ours are even the same color. Carry on.
An M Coupe is a wagon? You mean the Z3 they made into a hatchback?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #121
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
An M Coupe is a wagon? You mean the Z3 they made into a hatchback?
Yes, the Z3 M Coupe. The ideal car for us would have probably been an E91 335i, but since that never came to the US, the X1 worked out well. I think we'd both have preferred a five door M135i, but the odds of that actually coming to the US are nearly zil.

Unfortunately, I think the X1 is a bit of a gateway drug for my wife, as she clearly sees it as an SUV and wouldn't mind the X4 next. The X1 is at least a car like drive, while the X3's we drove felt a bit too big and ponderous for my taste. But it's her car, if she enjoys it, that's what counts.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #122
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the Z3 M Coupe. The ideal car for us would have probably been an E91 335i, but since that never came to the US, the X1 worked out well. I think we'd both have preferred a five door M135i, but the odds of that actually coming to the US are nearly zil.

Unfortunately, I think the X1 is a bit of a gateway drug for my wife, as she clearly sees it as an SUV and wouldn't mind the X4 next. The X1 is at least a car like drive, while the X3's we drove felt a bit too big and ponderous for my taste. But it's her car, if she enjoys it, that's what counts.
That five door M 135I looks pretty nice. I would buy it but I dont' think it would do well in the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #123
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
The ideal car for us would have probably been an E91 335i, but since that never came to the US, the X1 worked out well.

The X1 is at least a car like drive, while the X3's we drove felt a bit too big and ponderous for my taste. But it's her car, if she enjoys it, that's what counts.
I actually went looking at a 2012 E91 and the CA showed me his X1 after they just hit the showrooms...Would have prefered a 535 or M5 wagon...

Wife did not want something so low like a wagon for her daily driver...( it was to replace her Suburban...)

We finally settled on an X1, a little higher up, still fun to drive... (BTW, she kept her Suburban and now the X1 is my teenage daughter's daily driver...)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #124
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

The seating is much higher than a regular car like the 3 series or 5 series. I can't sit in one of those cars for more than a half hour before I start getting back pain because my feet are not below me but are instead in front of me. In the X1 I sit like I do in a chair with my feet below me, which is what I need because of my bad back. That was the whole reason why I was looking at a car like this. If it were not for my bad back, I'd most likely be driving a sports car.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle..._position.html

The 3 series has a height of 56.3 inches and 5.5 inches ground clearance

The X1 has a height of 60.8 inches and 7.6 inches ground clearance

The X3 has a height of 65.4 inches and 8.3 inches ground clearance

The X1 is in the middle and is much closer to an SUV in height and ground clearance than a sedan or wagon. Keep in mind that most of the extra 4.6 inches of height in the X3 is due to the taller roof rails (look at a picture of the X3 and you'll see what I am talking about)

Last edited by Eric5273; 03-11-2014 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #125
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

On the other hand, a 3GT has a height of 59.4 inches, which is *very* close to an x1 and I don't hear people suggesting the 3GT is a SUV. It also weighs more, and is longer and wider.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #126
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
Keep in mind that most of the extra 4.6 inches of height in the X3 is due to the taller roof rails (look at a picture of the X3 and you'll see what I am talking about)
It's actually not due to the roof rails at all. The graphic clearly shows it is measuring to the center top of the roof.
Attached Images

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #127
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
The seating is much higher than a regular car like the 3 series or 5 series. I can't sit in one of those cars for more than a half hour before I start getting back pain because my feet are not below me but are instead in front of me. In the X1 I sit like I do in a chair with my feet below me, which is what I need because of my bad back. That was the whole reason why I was looking at a car like this. If it were not for my bad back, I'd most likely be driving a sports car.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle..._position.html

The 3 series has a height of 56.3 inches and 5.5 inches ground clearance

The X1 has a height of 60.8 inches and 7.6 inches ground clearance

The X3 has a height of 65.4 inches and 8.3 inches ground clearance

The X1 is in the middle and is much closer to an SUV in height and ground clearance than a sedan or wagon. Keep in mind that most of the extra 4.6 inches of height in the X3 is due to the taller roof rails (look at a picture of the X3 and you'll see what I am talking about)
My wife's Jetta Wagon is 59.2 inches tall. X3 is a very small SUV. A Camry has 6.1 of ground clearnance. A Sequoia is 77 inches tall and 9.6 inches of ground clearance. Four Runner is 71.5 inches tall and has 9.6 inches of ground clearance. The miniscule RAV4 is 67.1 inches tall and that is barely and SUV.

So X1 is much closer to the height of a small wagon than it is to the height of a very small SUV.

The seating in the X1 is much lower than an SUV. Coming from a car-based SUV like the Volvo XC 90 it is way lower in the X1. I think it is probably close to the wife's VW Wagon.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #128
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

Quote:
My wife's Jetta Wagon is 59.2 inches tall. X3 is a very small SUV. A Camry has 6.1 of ground clearnance. A Sequoia is 77 inches tall and 9.6 inches of ground clearance. Four Runner is 71.5 inches tall and has 9.6 inches of ground clearance. The miniscule RAV4 is 67.1 inches tall and that is barely and SUV.

So X1 is much closer to the height of a small wagon than it is to the height of a very small SUV.

The seating in the X1 is much lower than an SUV. Coming from a car-based SUV like the Volvo XC 90 it is way lower in the X1. I think it is probably close to the wife's VW Wagon.
I owned a Jetta Sportwagen TDI but decided to trade up to the X1 for AWD and superior handling and performance (I don't commute long distances anymore so the diesel was no longer a factor). I really don't think a label means a thing. I just like that with both vehicles, the rails, the rear hatch and the folding rear seats accommodate a lot of utility and that's what I'm looking for and enjoy with both! The X5 would accommodate these functions as well, but geez, the purchase price and lousy fuel economy makes it a dinosaur for my taste.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #129
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

I'm good with the size of the X1; it's small enough to be handy, but big enough for four median people, or haul enough stuff for vacation.
And it's a sweet handler with good power, if not a purist's idea of a sportscar or coupe.
So it's a pretty fair compromise in a lot of useful roles...which led to our purchase.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #130
mscottc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x28X1

Quite frankly, does it really make a difference what it is called??? If you look at the car, you like its looks, and most important it serves your needs AND is comfortable for long trips then buy it. If it doesn't accomplish the above, look elsewhere. For me, one of the primary needs was being short enough to fit into more parking spaces in city environments, along with its very reasonable price, along with it being all things BMW. And I like the higher seating position. I wish the rear trunk space was wider, and I'm not in love with the look of the car, but the pros outweigh the cons, and that's all that really counts.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #131
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
This thread is lol.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0