XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #111
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
No one is saying the cayman or a 911 can't be used as a DD, plenty of people do, but trying to claim it's as good of a DD as a car with a chassis designed to be a passenger car rather than a sports car is futile. The M4 is a passenger car modified/tuned for performance. That means it can do most everything those passenger cars can do, wheels/tires can easily be changed out for the seasons, you can put a bunch of groceries and large boxes in the trunk, you can take 3 of your friends around the block to the restaurant, pick up the kids from soccer practice (with their backpacks and soccer balls), crash protection from frontal and partial-frontal impacts is significantly better, the front bumper and fascia don't extend as far past the wheels (overhang), and so on. If you sit down and think about it, the list goes on for quite a while, and while the porsche's have "some" of these features, they are often no where near the same functionality. The porsche's are designed as sports cars from the beginning. This is also why they are not in the same performance category. If you throw enough money at an M4 GTS, etc, you can best a stock porsche, but if you throw more money at the porsche, you'll best anything you could ever do with the M4.

Who doesn't love porsches?

Arguing that they are as good of a DD as a passenger car? Come on...
You can throw enough money at any car to best any other car. But stock verus stock, even a base 911 and an M4 are not in the same leagues. Against a GT3 or Turbo or RS model, nothing touches those. Only comparable car is a Speciale.
If you follow racing, it takes a raced prepped M3 to compete with a bone stock Carrera/S. That is enough to tell you what they are in stock form against one another.
I will however, disagree in that any 911 that doesn't begin with the two letters GT is a GT car. Just so happens it puts down super car performance and handling.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #112
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfEightyM3 View Post
You can throw enough money at any car to best any other car. But stock verus stock, even a base 911 and an M4 are not in the same leagues. Against a GT3 or Turbo or RS model, nothing touches those. Only comparable car is a Speciale.
If you follow racing, it takes a raced prepped M3 to compete with a bone stock Carrera/S. That is enough to tell you what they are in stock form against one another.
I will however, disagree in that any 911 that doesn't begin with the two letters GT is a GT car. Just so happens it puts down super car performance and handling.
This is correct. I think the point he is trying to make is that on paper the bmw is in theory the more feasible DD
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #113
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
What about the M4 makes it a better daily driver? Do you feel its the way it basically makes power from 2500-5500 rpms in the M4 whereas the Porsche makes its power in a linear fashion and pulls hard from 3500 all the way up to redline?
I cannot imagine it's anything suspension or chassis relates because the way a 981 or 991 is damped and their suspension actually makes for a more comfortable ride. This is where the differences to me are vast (chassis, steering, etc) as well as the quality and overall feel of the way the car is actually put together.
Or is it possibly a bit more practicality?

I do agree, their cars truly are special in a way they I can only think of a couple other car makers can be said in the same breath. And it doe extend from top to the bottom of the line up.
M4 has a backseat that works for passengers plus the space is convenient for fitting extra stuff like a 50 inch TV (in box) for example. The damping in the Cayman is good no doubt, not sure how it compares to the M4 since in comfort suspension mode the car feels smooth enough for my taste. The Cayman is also lower making it harder to get in and out of on a daily basis, to me at least since I'm 6"2.

You have a valid point, a Cayman could make a good DD just not as good as the M4 in my opinion
      07-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #114
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
M4 has a backseat that works for passengers plus the space is convenient for fitting extra stuff like a 50 inch TV (in box) for example. The damping in the Cayman is good no doubt, not sure how it compares to the M4 since in comfort suspension mode the car feels smooth enough for my taste. The Cayman is also lower making it harder to get in and out of on a daily basis, to me at least since I'm 6"2.

You have a valid point, a Cayman could make a good DD just not as good as the M4 in my opinion
I feel like this is one of the very few times in life Im allowed to relish in the fact that im only 5'8

The Cayman is a little tougher to get in and out of due to the fact that its positioned lower to the ground than the M4, but in regards to space, I find that it has adequate space for all that you really need. Remember, you have the Frunk and the Hatch in the Cayman. Both are adequately sized for a pretty extensive Costco run.... as for a TV, well, we all know that a by-design sports car is never the right tool for the job. It's like wanting to use Margaret Thatcher as a spokesperson for Bud Light
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #115
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Yes. She wanted a sports car with an automatic which was easy to drive.
Not sure if srs.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #116
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F82

selling already?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5111313515.html
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #117
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMURFDADDY View Post
I feel like this is one of the very few times in life Im allowed to relish in the fact that im only 5'8

The Cayman is a little tougher to get in and out of due to the fact that its positioned lower to the ground than the M4, but in regards to space, I find that it has adequate space for all that you really need. Remember, you have the Frunk and the Hatch in the Cayman. Both are adequately sized for a pretty extensive Costco run.... as for a TV, well, we all know that a by-design sports car is never the right tool for the job. It's like wanting to use Margaret Thatcher as a spokesperson for Bud Light
Yea it's true plus I only have to move the TV when I move out/in. We'll see what the future holds cayman sounds appealing but I'm enjoying the M4 for now
      07-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #118
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
So, what exactly was the point of posting my CL ad? Just curious...
A buddy of mine was looking for a cayman and came across your ad. I thought it was a bit strange since you just got your car. I was thinking someone else was using your pics. Nothing in particular. It's a bit out of his range or else I'd tell him it's legit and get it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #119
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, srs. It was going to be a 911 but I wasn't about to spend $125K on a Carrera S when a GT3 was not much more, and she liked the way the GT3 looks more than the Turbo. It will be gone once the RS comes in and she'll DD that one as well.
Sent you a PM
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #120
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough. Its a great car, and if he'd like to make an offer I'm always open to listening. Just don't really care to entertain a "64K cash offer" when its listed at 86K lol. You know how Craigslist goes....

I will hang on to the car unless I receive an offer I cant refuse, or until the move date comes up and I decide its not feasible anymore.
Yeah I know what you mean. I posted my r8 and people offered me 50k for it cash today. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #121
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, srs. It was going to be a 911 but I wasn't about to spend $125K on a Carrera S when a GT3 was not much more, and she liked the way the GT3 looks more than the Turbo. It will be gone once the RS comes in and she'll DD that one as well.
If you're looking to expand your family, I just put myself up for adoption
      07-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #122
Praise Iommi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
You realize Porches whole pricing structure works so that once you option out a model your already at the base MSRP of the next car up? Works shocking well to get people to spend way more than they planned.

All for buying the SO something cool, but a GT3 RS? Does she know how to drive it even remotely close to its limits? If so she's a hell of a find, and definitely a keeper.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #123
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
SMURFDADDY why are you selling already.
      07-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #124
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praise Iommi View Post
You realize Porches whole pricing structure works so that once you option out a model your already at the base MSRP of the next car up? Works shocking well to get people to spend way more than they planned.

All for buying the SO something cool, but a GT3 RS? Does she know how to drive it even remotely close to its limits? If so she's a hell of a find, and definitely a keeper.
There are more people percentage wise that track Porsche cars and especially GT cars than most others, and I'd bet most can drive them better than 99% of M3 and M4 driver's who basically mod their cars to look like they're track cars when thats the last thing they'll do. Then again, that's what the culture has become.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #125
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
SMURFDADDY why are you selling already.
Had considered it for a moment given an impending job relocation, but for the time being I've decided to keep it. Im loving the car every time I drive and still constantly catch myself turning around to check it out everytime I park, lock the doors and walk away. I think I'd be hard pressed to find another car that can get me to do that on a daily basis

Where in OC are you? We should meet up for a drink. Shoot me PM.

Quote:
There are more people percentage wise that track Porsche cars and especially GT cars than most others, and I'd bet most can drive them better than 99% of M3 and M4 driver's who basically mod their cars to look like they're track cars when thats the last thing they'll do. Then again, that's what the culture has become.
Even base model and S drivers seem to track their cars about 99% more of M3 and M4 drivers. One thing I've gathered from almost 11 years as a BMW owner and enthusiast, is that most of the cars are modded for attention and pissing contest purposes. Everyone has the same parts on their car, and dont even use the car to its full stock potential, let alone need any of the mods on their cars.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #126
Praise Iommi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Even base model and S drivers seem to track their cars about 99% more of M3 and M4 drivers. One thing I've gathered from almost 11 years as a BMW owner and enthusiast, is that most of the cars are modded for attention and pissing contest purposes. Everyone has the same parts on their car, and dont even use the car to its full stock potential, let alone need any of the mods on their cars.
These cars get more and more popular outside of enthusiast circles with each subsequent generation. I know where your coming from but 99% is a little harsh.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 12:01 AM   #127
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These cars get more and more popular outside of enthusiast circles with each subsequent generation. I know where your coming from but 99% is a little harsh.
Did you go to bimmerfest this year by any chance? It was pretty much "M4 Fest". Almost every car had 1of 4 different "aero" kits out there, and was lowered on suspension that had most likely never seen anything other than a car show. I respect each brand and its aftermarket tuning culture for what it is, but in my experience the AMG guys like to go fast at the drag strip, the Porsche guys like to go fast around a track, and most of the BMW M guys like to build cars way beyond their driving capabilities for the sole purpose of showing off.

Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 12:46 AM   #128
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Did you go to bimmerfest this year by any chance? It was pretty much "M4 Fest". Almost every car had 1of 4 different "aero" kits out there, and was lowered on suspension that had most likely never seen anything other than a car show. I respect each brand and its aftermarket tuning culture for what it is, but in my experience the AMG guys like to go fast at the drag strip, the Porsche guys like to go fast around a track, and most of the BMW M guys like to build cars way beyond their driving capabilities for the sole purpose of showing off.

Just my .02
This.

It has been the same story all along. Remember when every single E36 M3 had the same exact lip, low Lightweight wing, and either BBS RCs or AC Schnitzer Type IIs? There has never been any originality with modded BMWs. And by originality, I don't mean the bored 19 year-old who gets a little too excited with a can of Plasti Dip...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:29 AM   #129
Praise Iommi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes...but it's not only Porsche. All manufacturers do this. Look how many people option out a 428i to above a base 435i's price. Or the super cool fully-loaded $67K 435is.
Its definitely a thing, its just a little more noticeable with Porsche because their options are so expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #130
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Had considered it for a moment given an impending job relocation, but for the time being I've decided to keep it. Im loving the car every time I drive and still constantly catch myself turning around to check it out everytime I park, lock the doors and walk away. I think I'd be hard pressed to find another car that can get me to do that on a daily basis

Where in OC are you? We should meet up for a drink. Shoot me PM.

This is so true, especially in the BMW world where its all about how low your car is and how fast it conceptually is with XXX whp. None of them know how to drive and would likley get easily embarrassed by a stock Miata at the track or back road.
M culture is basically a tuner car culture now.

Quote:
Its definitely a thing, its just a little more noticeable with Porsche because their options are so expensive.
Porsche is also a very custom, do anything the customer wants car manufacturer whose quality, part and dependability surpass any German or Italian, or an Euro car by quite a substantial margin. Their business model incorporates the fact that some people want a relatively minimally optioned car and some people want something off the wall. No two Porsches, by and large, are the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #131
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Congrats man once you go Porsche you will never go back. Well that is unless you start having kids then the M3 can't be beat. Went from m3 to 991s and now to a gt4. Tried every other car under the sun and couldn't get away from the Porsche bug.
      07-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #132
KELVIN7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes AMG C63S

Garage List
What do you feel compare GT4 and M4? Which one has more fun preferred as DD?
BMW F30 335i M Performance Edition
BMW E92 335is
BMW E92 328i
Lancer Evolution X MR
Appreciate 0