XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-20-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
matthewuk
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive20d

X1 tyres in UK?

Our next car is going to be 4-wheel drive and am close to ordering an X1. Most the 4-wheel drives I have driven in the past come as standard with mud and snow tyres but the X1 tyres seem to be quite 'normal' (unless I missed something when I took a quick look in the dealership)

In the unlikely event of another winter like the last can anyone put me straight about how the standard tyres will perform in snow/slush? I really want to be able to get up to the Glenshee/Aviemore on a snowy day without having to worry...(assuming the snow gates are open!)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
bjotings
Norway
Rep
Drives: X1

The Standard tyres on my car xDrive 2.0 17" 317 wheels are Pirelli Cinturalo P7 Runflat 225/50/17.

We also have a complete set of extra wheels for winter usage (as most people have here in the Nordics). On these I have Michelin X-Ice 225/50/17 Runflat tyres on the same standard 317 alloy wheels - as recommended by the local BMW dealer.

RE
BT
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewuk View Post
Our next car is going to be 4-wheel drive and am close to ordering an X1. Most the 4-wheel drives I have driven in the past come as standard with mud and snow tyres but the X1 tyres seem to be quite 'normal' (unless I missed something when I took a quick look in the dealership)

In the unlikely event of another winter like the last can anyone put me straight about how the standard tyres will perform in snow/slush? I really want to be able to get up to the Glenshee/Aviemore on a snowy day without having to worry...(assuming the snow gates are open!)
Hi mathewuk, I see we are in the same area Did you ever get an answer as to where we can get snow tyres for the X1? I plan to take mine up to the snow fields this winter and am seriously looking at getting a set of mud/snow tyres for it. Too many problems with chains on snow/dry/snow/dry roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
wyresoft
--X1--
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E84 X1 sDrive 2.0

I made a few web searches and it looks like the standard tyres are 'summer' tyres - This is slightly worrying and makes me wonder whether BMW expect us to buy mud and snow for the winter?

That said, we managed with our convertible last year so we've gone for the 2wd anyway
      07-01-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyresoft View Post
I made a few web searches and it looks like the standard tyres are 'summer' tyres - This is slightly worrying and makes me wonder whether BMW expect us to buy mud and snow for the winter?

That said, we managed with our convertible last year so we've gone for the 2wd anyway
Hi wyresoft. Yep, you are right, most (almost all) tyres sold in the UK are either "summer" tyres or the odd "all weather" ones. I have never quite understood why car owners in the UK are so largely unaware of the benefits of fitting "winter" tyres. Snow tyres do make a huge difference. I have spent some time in Canada in winter and have used them as well as chains and even studded tyres.

Chains (or more often cables now) are great but not really practical for general use in the UK. Its illegal to use them on a dry road so unless you are on snow/ice for lengthy periods you will be spending a lot of time putting them on and then taking them off a few miles later. Studded tyres are of course banned here to that leaves mud/snow tyres as the best option. A common fallacy is that they intended for driving on snow and ice only and we don't get enough of that in the UK. The fact is that these tyres have been optimised for better performance at temps below 7C. The compound is softer and contains a higher proportion of silica to keep it pliable at low temps. Where I live up here in Scotland the daytime temps rarely exceed that from December through to about the end of March so I will be fitting some to my new X1.

Finding them is a problem but you may have better luck towards the end of summer. Ask your local tyre dealer to source 4x, may I suggest that you get a set of steel rims as well so that you can change them yourself. Some examples in X1 sizes would be Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2, Nankin SV-1 Winter+, Michelin Pilot Alpin or Michelin X-Ice There are some others but I am sure there are nordic or canadian members on this forum with a lot more experience of this which would also be able to advise.

I hope this helps though.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
BManiac
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: Peugeot

Goodyear efficient grip 225/45/18 runflat
no experience on snow, but it is OK for the rain
My X1 is from UK (parklane London)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Just an update on this if anyone is interested. My local wholesaler has indicated that they could source a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins. Apparently they are available in the UK although not generally stocked. They come in run-flats as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Stilling
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive 2,0D

As said before here in the north its normal to change to Winther tires around mid November and change back in April, so that’s standard to have 2 set of tires for each car. Infact its illegal to drive on summer tires in the winther in Sweden.

But i´m a little interested in the mud/snow tires, I would like to run a little off road and standard road summer tires isn’t for that purpose 
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilling View Post
As said before here in the north its normal to change to Winther tires around mid November and change back in April, so that’s standard to have 2 set of tires for each car. Infact its illegal to drive on summer tires in the winther in Sweden.

But i´m a little interested in the mud/snow tires, I would like to run a little off road and standard road summer tires isn’t for that purpose 
What I call mud/snow tyres are the ones with a little * on them. Many also have the letters M/S on them as well. Its these that I call Winter Tyres but I may be wrong. Are the Winters Tyres in Sweden/Norway/Finland different than standard M/S tyres? And then I don't know the proper name for studded tyres, Ice Tyres perhaps
Appreciate 0