XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

02-24-2024, 09:41 AM   #1
Seen Enough
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 N20B20 Xdrive

Liquimoly Engine Flush

I'm about to perfom an oil change at 35k miles, second oil change since I've had the car. Bought a bottle of Liquimoly Engine Flush, but seeing a lot of "don't do it" types of conclusions on perfoming an engine flush on YouTube from professional mechanics. Any thoughts on this subject?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 06:10 AM   #2
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I’ve used this product in my F30 335i with no issues. Planning to do the same on my E84 with the next oil change too.
      06-04-2024, 02:52 PM   #3
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

I have used it once, when I first purchased my car I did a flush with the first oil change as preventative maintenance. Very satisfying to see a black liquid come out of the motor

There is some truth that you may not want to use a flush. They can potentially remove sludge that is preventing a leak, and the solvents are tough on the seals/gaskets. Unless the vehicle's maintenance history is questionable or you have a confirmed buildup of sludge, you don't NEED to do an engine flush.

The best "engine flush" is regular oil changes with a quality synthetic oil. I do every 5000 miles, maybe it's overkill but oil is so cheap. BMW has admitted that their original 15,000 mile oil change interval recommendation is wrong, and even their revised 10,000 mile spec is dubious.

And re: the online mechanics, don't use a random YouTube video, Reddit post, etc. Anyone with a wrench and a computer can put their opinion online, and there is so much bad advice or troll/satire info. Best to stick to confirmed good mechanics (FCP Euro comes to mind) that can be trusted
Appreciate 0