XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
jm60011
Rep
Drives: X1 35i

35i transmission question

Hey guys,

Random question, I have about 3000km on the clock now and my only real disappointment with the car is the tranny. I had high hopes, from reading a lot of reviews, also liked the idea of the 6spd robustness over the 8spd. I came from a GTI with DSG and it was 100x better then what I am dealing with (quality of shifts and smoothness). Since the first week I have had really odd shifts especially in the lower gears, seems to be hunting for the best gear, lurching upon finally deciding what gear it wants. Doesn't give me the solid German feel that my dad's old 02 SL500 gives. Just over all feels very sloppy, especially for being German. I have driven all kinds if cars in my life, father owned a car wash for 15+ years of my life. Really I am just wondering if any other owners feel this, or is the something possibly amiss with my tranny? I also have flashed the Alpina software to try and make it smoother and shift better and i really like what the software does but it just doesn't eliminate the sloppiness of the tranny, and in some cases makes it lurch harder because the shifts are so much quicker.. Any insight would be much appreciated, also if it is normal I would like to know because I really don't want to hassle the dealer for no reason and I don't just want them changing things for no reason, in a lot of cases this makes things worse before better.

Thanks for looking
Jm
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm60011 View Post
I came from a GTI with DSG
I have the same problem coming from a DSG to the 8 speed, I think the 8 speed is a bit better than the average automatic, but it will never be a dual clutch.
Biggest problem form me though is when I kick down, out of all the gears it will pick the one 500 rpm away from red-line
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
EdgeCrusher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I would suggest getting the Alpina mod done. Everyone that has done it says it cures this. I am going to try this before I give up on the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I haven't noticed any lurching or searching for gears. Downshifts at lower speeds are sometimes not 100% smooth but I wouldn't call them rough either. It is usually when it goes to 1st (I think) at very low speed. It is nothing that bothers me, though. My only gripe is likely cured by the Alpina SW......coming from manual cars, the slowness of downshifts from when I want them annoys me. It is not as bad in DS compared to kickdown with the gas pedal but there is still a noticeable lag even with the shift paddles. Too bad we don't get the manual version in the US.

Last edited by bosstones; 05-23-2014 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

I have the Alpina trans flash and it is like night and day... The flash transforms the transmission into a quick, smooth shifting transmission while getting a bit more mpg during normal driving. It is BMW software and it completely integrates into the car and is 100% reversible.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
jm60011
Rep

Yes I know, I have the flash .. It is definitely very good and does whats advertised, but still there is a lot of slop in the tranny.. The more I think about it I think it could have something to do with the TQ converter, driving at a linear but slow pace while accelerating it will hang the gear (1st 2nd or 3rd) while waiting for it to reach the desired shift point and then once it does it drops it into gear and the rpms drop but then immediately after the rpms shoot up a few hundred rpm causing nasty lurches/clunks.. Very weird and hard to explain
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Ours does the same thing. Our previous 135i was more composed, with the same transmission. I blame the awd.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
jm60011
Rep

I wish the converter would just lock up once it is out of 1st... That would be the only way to clean up the sloppiness.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
flguy400
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I have the same problem coming from a DSG to the 8 speed, I think the 8 speed is a bit better than the average automatic, but it will never be a dual clutch.
Biggest problem form me though is when I kick down, out of all the gears it will pick the one 500 rpm away from red-line
ill take the slightly slower shifting 8 speed zf tranny which will be very reliable and not so expensive to repair over the as of yet unproven DSG tranny which has to have the transmission fluid replaced every 40k miles and if it fails, your out $5000 to replace when your car only cost $20000.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I agree, the 8 speed is definitely the best auto box I ever drove. Even driving it manually does not feel weird like in other cars.
I also like the direct feeling, as if there is no tourqe converter (I am sure it has one though)
The n55 engine with this transmission would be amazing.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

I've only had the car a couple of weeks but notice that the shifts are slow and it often does lurch into gear. Even when I give barely noticeable throttle and shift up into the next gear, the car will lurch forward. Hoping the Alpina flash will rectify some of the shifting woes but I want to read more about it before I do it. I will say that the paddle shifter make missing a manual a little less painful.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #12
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
I've only had the car a couple of weeks but notice that the shifts are slow and it often does lurch into gear. Even when I give barely noticeable throttle and shift up into the next gear, the car will lurch forward. Hoping the Alpina flash will rectify some of the shifting woes but I want to read more about it before I do it. I will say that the paddle shifter make missing a manual a little less painful.
I recommend the Alpina Flash, had it since march. it is seamless, makes the transmission perform much better, is a BMW software and is 100% reversible.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
I recommend the Alpina Flash, had it since march. it is seamless, makes the transmission perform much better, is a BMW software and is 100% reversible.
Thanks. I noticed that you bought your own cable? Is it useful for something else in the future? Also, which one is the one to get? In one thread, there is a cable that is $99, and $39 for another one in a different thread. Plan to get cn555ci to do it remotely.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

I had a 2010 GTI w/ DSG prior to this x1. I do love that DSG transmission and wish the 6 cylinder had the 8 speed trans over the old school 6 speed. IMO, its not the best performing transmission but not all that bad either. I have not downshift/hunting for gear complaints with mine. All in all it's pretty smooth. I just wish the shifts were a little more quick and swift.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #15
EdgeCrusher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
I had a 2010 GTI w/ DSG prior to this x1. I do love that DSG transmission and wish the 6 cylinder had the 8 speed trans over the old school 6 speed. IMO, its not the best performing transmission but not all that bad either. I have not downshift/hunting for gear complaints with mine. All in all it's pretty smooth. I just wish the shifts were a little more quick and swift.
Alpina Flash will fix that.... its very close to DSG/DCT you can get!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #16
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeCrusher View Post
Alpina Flash will fix that.... its very close to DSG/DCT you can get!
Not really worth it to fix something that isn't that bothersome - especially on a lease and that I only drive 4k miles /yr.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #17
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
Thanks. I noticed that you bought your own cable? Is it useful for something else in the future? Also, which one is the one to get? In one thread, there is a cable that is $99, and $39 for another one in a different thread. Plan to get cn555ci to do it remotely.
Got the $99 cable, although i bought it from a BMW enthusiast for less.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #18
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Most modern "pure" autos are confused by sudden changes in throttle input. It probably because of their tuning for emissions. Mine only lurches slightly when I start to accelerate quickly, and then lift the throttle, and then start to accelerate again. Same thing in my wife's Edge, and our old Acura TLS.

BTW, I also came directly from a GTI ('13), but mine was a manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just got the Alpina flash and some coding done tonight by cn555ci (Steven) remotely. My car is a 2015 and only 3 weeks old. The Alpina flash went smoothly but he could not get NCS Expert to recognize my car initially to fix the paddle shifters not working. Finally, I think he transferred newer data files to my laptop to get it to work. With the work and expertise involved in flashing and coding, I definitely would not recommend you do this yourself--and I consider myself a "tech" guy.

Loving the quick shifts. Still a little slop like the OP mentions when in gear, especially with light/partial throttle or coasting, but such is life with a non DCT auto. Definitely recommended for people who enjoy a more sporting ride. Love the coding features too!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #20
lenwood
Rep
Drives: 2013 x135i msport

alpina flash

have a 2013 35i msport. did the trans flash a month ago . had it done locally here, night and day improvement espescially in manual sport mode. shifts are instantaneous and almost dsg like. highly recommended from a guy used to bmw manual slush boxes.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #21
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

alpina flash is even better when you mod. thanks Steven.
      07-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #22
aferguson7
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X135i Xdrive MSport

Would doing this flash possibly void the manufacturer's warranty?
Appreciate 0