12-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemiy View Post
I think you didn't get me right... Let me explain the case again.

A car goes onto a muddy road. Obviously, once in a few seconds, one of the wheels spins as the car searches for traction. The thing is, DSG can not handle this for more than a few minutes, it overheats and reports an error. Q5 and A4 allroad behaved like this in a few tests. X1 and GLK were fine in the same tests.

What's not clear here? :-)
No you were. But you are comparing a specific model to another one, in specific circumstances (off-road, and most likely mud & trail), which in my view cannot be drawn conclusively as the X1 being altogether better than the Q5 (and I'm an X1 owner ).
Besides, the X1 is not an SUV, and statisticly most Q5s and X1s owners never get into "heavy off-roading" anyway (otherwise they'd go for a Defender or a Pathfinder for instance).
In most other, usual environments, a DSG is likely to be more precise, quick and pleasant to handle than a traditional automatic gearbox.

That's why in my humble opinion, drawing such drastic conclusions is a bit stretching it.