View Single Post
      11-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #79
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtilley7 View Post
does upgrading from the standard 17X7.5 225/50 run flat to the 18x8.0 225/45 run flat make much of a difference on the the driving?
I've been researching the staggered 323 option and adding 1" on any cars rears will make a fairly big difference but only if you're playing at the grip ends which people don't often do. A Half inch of width on all tires will make a difference in cornering (better) near the borderline and 18" front wheels with lower profile will make most cornering situations slightly better as well but having larger front wheels (18 vs 17) will make the feeling a little more lagging but most people I believe might not notice.

During winter you want narrower tires and a higher profile. Diameter doesn't make much of a difference for winter/snow/ice situations but most people go smaller rims to save money. I'll be sticking with the stock 18x8 225/r18/45 tires for summer and then get the same sized rims for winter tires. I'm very experienced in winter driving and for me I'd prefer a little more width for winter driving when there is no snow/ice/slush and be more careful when there is. If it were my wifes car I'd be putting on say 17 or 18 inch wheels with 7.5" width as she never pushes a car near 20% of its potential.
Appreciate 0