View Single Post
      04-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Let me preface this by saying I consider myself very uneducated about the mechanics of a car and everything I know I learned from the Internets.

So on my research only, most engines made today have almost or no shavings or metal filings that was the reason to do a service after you've "dislodged" those shavings. BMW also does a dry run of the engines before oiling them which you could argue makes it even less likely. Having said that, I still am curious the reason M cars require a 1200 mile service... Personally when I get my X1 back after ED (about 2k miles) I think there's a good chance I may have the dealer do this since it's an easy procedure and I plan to keep the car 10+ years and the last 30-60 miles will have been on the 'ring.

As for transmission, rear diff, and front transfer, I could be wrong but I don't think the filings are as much of a concern? I haven't seen the internals of none engine parts yet to say for sure but I would think the engineering and sizes of the parts and precision of them vs potential filing sizes as compared to the engine components and their precision vs potential filing sizes would be much lower and in far less extreme situations (unless you're running tires with different tread depth for example or do a lot of driving when the wheels are slipping).

Also if you have seen the inside of a transmission (There's some great videos on Youtube of a guy named Jeff Richardson who tore down a ZF 5HP19 and goes over _everything_ and it's quite educational), there are plenty of non-critical places for shavings (if there were any) to get permanently lodged besides on the magnets of the pan, unlike an engine. That's also why many people say "change the oil but don't flush" on xmissions, you don't want to knock something free that would have stayed there for 1,000,000 miles. xmissions IMO are mostly luck and driving habit and not maintenance oriented for why they fail, unless there's a design flaw but the ZF 6HP has been fairly bullet proof and I can't see the 8HP being much different (though it has some extra and unique parts for ASS). Fluids do go bad over time and use but towards 30k+ miles and a couple years.

It would be nice though to have a thread for an X1's "minimum", "recommended", "aggressive" and "paranoid" service work intervals...
Appreciate 0