View Single Post
      07-07-2017, 12:22 AM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

my X1 came with run flat Pirelli. I had the tire fail in the middle of nowhere Texas on I45. I saw the low psi light and drove until I could find a gas station and add air. When I stopped I could hear air coming out of the tire.

I called BMW roadside .. no help .. she can call a tow truck.

I added air up to 50 psi and Drove as far as I could to the next small town. I barely made it, the RFT was destroyed. Same issue as your wife - damage at the sidewall.

Amazingly the podunk tire place in a town of about 1500 people actually had a 19" tire that would fit the rim. The guy installed the tire without scratching the wheel, something that's not a guarantee in dallas where I live!

The runflat did probably make it much further than a go flat tire .. so I will give it that it saved me there, but anew RFT was not available and would not have been for days. A donut spare actually would gotten me further than the run flat.

Heck I was lucky a random spare tire was there because nowhere within 40 miles was there a 19" tire new.

I should be as smart as you and carry a spare. : Good on you for looking out for your wife and for her for changing it out

I actually have a set of spare wheels that I may be able to make a spare out of .... this may motivate me Hmm
Appreciate 0