View Single Post
      08-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #48
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-2-sixty View Post
I would much rather have turbo inline 6cyl with 300hp than the four cyl that is boosted to within an inch of its life...like the Mercedes GLA AMG. Plus the six is smoother and will likely sound better....longevity might not be as big of an issue with the 6cyl vs high boost 4cyl.

I really wish they would have made the F48 frame modular to accommodate a longitudinal engine. Oh well, we'll have to wait and see. I may also check out the X4 35i.
Hey, no one hates to see I6s go away more than me. Their hands are tied though. Everyone's are really. Not enough of a market for an engine like that in a car like this. It's sad...but it's the norm these days.

That being said...

Personally, while still damn smooth, and monstrous in the output department, they were half way there when they went FI. As much as I love the N54/55, it was a step in the wrong direction from the S54/S65 and even their more run of the mill N/A engines, at least from a linearity/throttle response/feel perspective. We should be happy we had them in the interim.

IMHO, with the low end twin-scroll turbo response and DI knock control on these well-built turbo 4s, it may wind up being a viable widespread 350+ hp. solution. When that time comes, we're going to see them in the up-engined 3 series, etc. I'm sure. The only cars with more than 4 cylinders may be M's and 7 series.

If we're honest, the N55 in the X1 was an odd, albeit cool combo. Not super sustainable...and the car was much less practical than it should have been for it's weight.

It's a 300 HP hatchback. But it weighs 3800 lbs. It's an odd duck.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0