View Single Post
      11-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #120
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

19K miles update

The car seems to hover between 24.0-24.5 mpg. Right now the trip computer has 2K rural/hwy miles since last reset with 24.2 mpg - about normal for me. A far cry from EPA 36 on the window sticker.

It's hills that kill the heavy X1. The car really seems to suffer when going up any hill. Even in ECO-pro mode, it is impossible to keep the car from pegging below the 12mpg needle up hills. I mean the car drops to 20mph in a 40mph zone up the hill on my daily commute unless you give full gas. I tried a few times to try to keep the needle at 15mpg, and the car drops to 10mph dogging up the hill at a 'sick car' creep, causing traffic behind me in an unsafe and unroadworthy manner. Pitiful.

The car has been a major disappointment in the mileage area. Multiple dealer visits shows the car "is operating normally." I should have gotten the kick butt 3.5 instead if I had known mileage would be this Chevy Suburban poor on a car that eats fuel far above what its much smaller size would suggest. A far cry from my 55mpg TDI with the same driver and driving style and on the same daily roads. If anything I drive the X1 much slower in eco-mode than the TDI where I would jump off every red light for fun. Big sigh.
Appreciate 0